• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife laws in Mass

The thread on the upcoming gun show in Marlboro got me thinking about what is and what is not legal here in Massachusetts as far as buying, posessing, and carrying different knives. I get the feeling that people are a lot less reluctant about "pushing the envelope" with knife laws than they are with gun laws.

I seem to recall that we have a blade limit of 1.5 inches with regard to automatic knives. This puts even "California Edition" automatics out of reach, because I believe they use a 2" blade.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-10.htm

GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS
Chapter 269: Section 10
Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns.
6(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Without an accompanying definition of "studs" that thing is wide open! My blue jeans have studs. I suppose if I made a denim armband out of an old pair, I could be arrested.

No, the definition of "studs" is adequate. The law was probably passed due to biker gangs using them and chains to settle disputes. Today they are most commonly seen amongst the S&M crowd.

When I worked for BCPD, I confiscated more than a few studded bracelets and chokers from "visitors" to BC!

We didn't prosecute anyone unless they insisted on getting their property back, in which case we'd advise them that they would get the privilege of arguing their case in front of a judge and could then see who was right. We did the same thing at BCPD and at my municipal PD for those minors we caught in possession of alcohol (assuming no accidents, DUI, etc.). Somehow nobody wanted to take us up on the offer . . . can't understand why? [twisted]

This was in the late 1970s and 1980s . . . don't try it today, as policies have changed and you are much more likely to be arrested and prosecuted instead of being offered a "walk".

Len is 100% about how times have changed. Kids are regularly arrested with studded bracelets and what not.
Check this little impliment out. It was "acquired" from under the seat of a car that belonged to an upstanding youth member of the community. Can anyone guess what this really is? BTW, those studs will pierce your fingers very easily.
punch.jpg

derek said:
Looks like some type of carpet tool.
Not a carpet tool, sorry. I'll tell ya'll what it is maybe tomorrow unless everyone wants to keep guessing. It does has a legitimate use.

I'm gonna guess some kind of leather working tool, but I'm not quite convinced of that... It's got points in the front that looks like it's for prying something up, but the curve is throwing me off...I'm stumped.

That's mean looking, but the claw is throwing me too. But it looks like it's made to put holes in whatever it's working on. Then only thing that I can think is that the claw is used for leverage, not taking out...

Hell, I don't konw.

Something just occured to me (wild shot here) - is it used to pick up something, like a roll of fencing material? The fork in the front digs in and then the points keep it from rolling off?

Since it appears to be made of stainless steel, I'm assuming that it is meant to have blood washed off of it without retaining bacteria. My guess is that it's a butcher's tool of some type.

dvl said:
Since it appears to be made of stainless steel, I'm assuming that it is meant to have blood washed off of it without retaining bacteria. My guess is that it's a butcher's tool of some type.

Meat tenderizer? [lol]

Okay, I'll tell what it is. It's used to hold roasts for carving, the tines are used to pick up the slices.
Seeing as I found it under the front seat, it was not kept there for it's intended purpose as you may have guessed. He admitted that it was to be used for self defense.

JonJ said:
Len is 100% about how times have changed. Kids are regularly arrested with studded bracelets and what not.
Check this little impliment out. It was "acquired" from under the seat of a car that belonged to an upstanding youth member of the community. Can anyone guess what this really is? BTW, those studs will pierce your fingers very easily.
punch.jpg

I know EXACTLY what that is!! It's a Carvel Hall Ham & Roast Holder. I have two, and I've given away about 4 others to friends who see me using it when I cook!

Where can I buy that one? Is it going to be auctioned by the PD that confiscated it? :D

Ross

[I posted this before seeing JonJ's answer - but I'm serious. If you don't want it, Jon, I'll buy it. They're the PERFECT roast holder... I couldn't get along without mine. ]

Well, hi, Jesse!

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you wouldn't remember me, but I got to hear you lecture a few years back at the NRA Personal Protection In The Home class at Riverside.

I just took a second look at the login name and realized that I knew you.

Ross

Hey Jesse - good to see you posting! :D We haven't "met" in person but you should remember me from MAF. I know Darius tho. How is he? Send him my regards?

Lynne said:
I know Darius tho. How is he? Send him my regards?

Lynne, Darius was fine on Thursday night - he was helping run the stages at the Riverside IDPA practice. (and making fun of the way that my Para bit me. Let my grip shift while running from one side of the stage to the other and the slide got my thumb. He kept teasing me about shooting the handicapped stages...)

I'll say hi to him on Sunday at the shoot for you... unless you want to come down and tell him yourself, of course!

Ross

Jesse,

I didn't know you were on board here. Welcome aboard, and don't just lurk. [wink] Please correct us when we get it wrong.

I missed getting to talk with you at the GOAL banquet; I got hung up in a long converation with John Peterson.

Ken

Jesse, that's great that you plan on joining us and trying to shed some light on the idiocy in MA. Welcome aboard!

Also, please watch for my review of the Gabe Suarez courses I just took (finished today) in the Training forum. Gabe recommended that we have attorneys lined up in case we ever need them and I'll pose some questions after I write my review.

Back
Top Bottom