• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife laws in Mass

1.5" applies to a switchblades. No blade length other than that or the 2.5" ordinance in Boston (and maybe other towns).

This does refer to a "spring released" blade over 1.5 inches but in a previous bullet point it says no switch knives. So what determines a switch knife? If I had a 1.5 inch knife with a spring that released it to a locking position...isn't that considered a switch knife? By this definition maybe not, it appears to be legal to carry...maybe. Is a switch knife one that comes out of the end of the knife by means of a release button and a spring device then is retracted by that same device (in and out as opposed to opening and closing like a regular knife)??? The dictionary says under switch knife...see switch blade and that definition is simply any knife that uses a spring to deploy a knife blade by means of pressing a button to release it. Does spring assisted mean a spring helps the blade release faster by normal use of the finger and no button to release it?

It seems the more this is discussed the more confusing it gets.

Last edited:
Those torsion bar assisted opening knives present an interesting legal question for knife owners in Massachusetts. The issue is this: are those knives capable of being drawn in an opened position?

so does this mean that my CRKT Carson M16 Law Enforcement Knife (1614LE) is illegal in boston? the blade is 3.785 inches....

you can carry it if you can show that it is needed for your work and that you are woring or going to or home from work

I assume you're talking about Boston. Here's the actual text of the ordinance:

16-45 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR SIMILAR WEAPONS.

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.

No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

a. When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or

b. In going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or

c. If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.

a. When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or

c. If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.

Well.. i guess im covered.

the ONLY reason I go to boston is to fish. so I would be going to or coming from fishing.

the only thing is... i keep it in my pocket... although... if im sitting in m y car... that is not easily accessable. so i would argue that as well [wink]

Those torsion bar assisted opening knives present an interesting legal question for knife owners in Massachusetts. The issue is this: are those knives capable of being drawn in an opened position?

The assisted opening knives can't be drawn in the open position any more than a knife with a thumb stud, The wave design knives such as the emerson and Spyderco would be an interesting case though

The assisted opening knives can't be drawn in the open position any more than a knife with a thumb stud, The wave design knives such as the emerson and Spyderco would be an interesting case though

"dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position"

The wave opens solely through the movement of the blade. It is treated no different than a stud on the blade as theres no device external to the blade involved.

Boston has a limit of 2-1/2 inches on knives (the blade) since 9-11. I can't find the official reference - the website has changed with no forward - but the text I have reads:

16-45 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR
SIMILAR WEAPONS

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited. No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under
his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2 1/2") inches, (except when actually
engaged in hunting or fishing or [delete … in going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or any
employment which requires the use of any type of knife), … end delete] any employment, trade or lawful recreational or
culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or (b) in going directly to and/or returning
directly from such activities, or (c) if the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or
repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported), ice picks,
dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so
redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another.

You will find similar restrictions on blade size in Cambridge, Salem and a few other towns out there as well. [sad]

I assume you're talking about Boston. Here's the actual text of the ordinance:

16-45 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR SIMILAR WEAPONS.

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.

No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

well, good thing my town allows me to bring a gun to a gun fight, instead of just a knife [wink]

Yes they are legal, I have one, don't ever carry it. did not find it a very useful knife. its would be a good stick it and rip it knife, but the the blade is to short. If you want to carry a knife on your belt, they're alot better knives with good kydex, but they will cost alot more

Yes they are legal, I have one, don't ever carry it. did not find it a very useful knife. its would be a good stick it and rip it knife, but the the blade is to short. If you want to carry a knife on your belt, they're alot better knives with good kydex, but they will cost alot more

I disagree. It isn't as useful as standard knifes for common tasks like cutting rope but for self defense it is better than any folding knife. I saw a police training video and everyone in the class got the KA-BAR into the target faster than their folding knifes. Even the whacker (there is always one) who you could tell had practiced alot getting his folder out quick did better with the KA-BAR.

Not sure if you are aware, but it is meant to be held with the blade out the bottom of your fist, it is surprisingly stable this way and the angle lets you punch with it. As far as it being only 2" that's all you need to get to any major arteries (they do sell longer ones, BTW, but I wanted a "Boston legal" knife).

The thought behind this design (IIRC) is a last ditch effort for a LEO to win a stalemate over a perp who is grabbing and wrestling with the LEO for his firearm. A quick motion at the perps neck, underarm, groin (whatever artery is available at the time) when the weak arm has a chance and with a successful cut either the perp stops to cover his wound, or the officer can drop the knife if he needs to continue wrestling for his firearm and pretty soon the perp will run out of steam. Belive me, it doesn't matter how big, tough, and hopped up on drugs someone is. They all fold up like a rag doll when they start to run low a couple quarts.

After reading some of the other replies I'm curious why they feel it would be illegal to carry, or that a jury would hang me.

I disagree. It isn't as useful as standard knifes for common tasks like cutting rope but for self defense it is better than any folding knife. I saw a police training video and everyone in the class got the KA-BAR into the target faster than their folding knifes. Even the whacker (there is always one) who you could tell had practiced alot getting his folder out quick did better with the KA-BAR.

Not sure if you are aware, but it is meant to be held with the blade out the bottom of your fist, it is surprisingly stable this way and the angle lets you punch with it. As far as it being only 2" that's all you need to get to any major arteries (they do sell longer ones, BTW, but I wanted a "Boston legal" knife).

The thought behind this design (IIRC) is a last ditch effort for a LEO to win a stalemate over a perp who is grabbing and wrestling with the LEO for his firearm. A quick motion at the perps neck, underarm, groin (whatever artery is available at the time) when the weak arm has a chance and with a successful cut either the perp stops to cover his wound, or the officer can drop the knife if he needs to continue wrestling for his firearm and pretty soon the perp will run out of steam. Belive me, it doesn't matter how big, tough, and hopped up on drugs someone is. They all fold up like a rag doll when they start to run low a couple quarts.

After reading some of the other replies I'm curious why they feel it would be illegal to carry, or that a jury would hang me.

Getting knife fighting advice from a police is like getting firearms advice from the police, they use the lowest common denominator tools. Something everyone can use with minimal training, this is were the TDI excels. everyone knows how to punch, now punch with a knife. The knife is no faster to deploy then any fixed blade fighter and will be less effective. The chances of being able to hit a neck major artery while struggling for control will be very slim, getting a mojor artery thru cloth will be an issued due to the short blade.

Plus if you are drawing from the belt and need an upward thrust, then you need to have the TDI set up for reverse grip, but if you need a downward slash, get need a saber grip, so the TDI would have to be set up differently. None of this is an issue with a standard fixed blade or a good folder. For me there are better blades out there

Don't expect someone to drop quickly when they get cut or stabbed, everyone I have talked to that has been stadded, thought they were being punched. Waiting for someone to bleed out will get you killed. Take away their threat, if they can't use their hands, then the can't hurt you with them

Last edited:

Don't expect someone to drop quickly when they get cut or stabbed, everyone I have talked to that has been stadded, thought they were being punched. Waiting for someone to bleed out will get you killed. Take away their threat, if they can use their hands, then the can't hurt you with them

What I was thinking. Cut the tendons or ligaments in elbow or knee folds to incapacitate them. No?

A snap cut to the forearms is very fast and effective, plus you can keep your distance, something you can't do while going for the neck or armpit. everyone has different fighting styles depending on their own strengths and weakness. I have long arms and legs, I always try to stay just outside my opponents striking distance, using my reach to attack. I wouldn't try for elbow cuts as you have to move in deeper and if you are in that far, you would have better targets, but they are worth going after if you are taking multiple targets as you move in. Knee I would not go after, puts your head down to their knife level, leaves you very exposed. The great thing about knife fighting, it is extremely fast and multi directional, were a gun is unidirectional

Back
Top Bottom