Kittery Purchase Question

No. The fa10 is on you. Kittery will want to see your ltc and won’t sell you anything with evil killy features but they don’t give a shit about mass registration requirements.
(Semi related…..ktp is solid on 2A for mainers, really wish they wouldn’t be such retards about mass laws)

Narco thread! Portsmouth is NH and KTP still has their NH handgun outlet space there where you can purchase as a NH resident. Does not apply to MA or any other state. As thread notes above, can buy long guns but make sure they are AWB compliant if bringing them back to MA and of course the whole eFA-10 crap that normal states do not have.
No. As a MA, NH or any other resident you avoid the sales tax last time I bought there.
Easy $$ shotgun sale. I’m not sure if I ever FA10ed it or not.

No. As a MA, NH or any other resident you avoid the sales tax last time I bought there.
Easy $$ shotgun sale. I’m not sure if I ever FA10ed it or not.
? MA residents cannot buy a handgun directly from KTP. NH and ME residents can b/c KTP maintains an FFL license in both states and has the Portsmouth annex for NH buyers. MA residents can buy long guns there. MA resident can have KTP ship a handgun to a MA FFL (if the MA FFL will accept it).

Last time I bought a shotgun there, they were offering a gift card equivalent to the tax after the NH pick up option was shut down. That was a couple yrs ago, bet they stopped doing that too…

? MA residents cannot buy a handgun directly from KTP. NH and ME residents can b/c KTP maintains an FFL license in both states and has the Portsmouth annex for NH buyers. MA residents can buy long guns there. MA resident can have KTP ship a handgun to a MA FFL (if the MA FFL will accept it).
Bought out of state preban AR's in NH (remember some Fudd at Riley's picking up a handgun telling me no one needs one of those) and did buy a
preban mag at Kittery but no firearms there.

Last time I bought a shotgun there, they were offering a gift card equivalent to the tax after the NH pick up option was shut down. That was a couple yrs ago, bet they stopped doing that too…
Bought a shotgun this summer from KTP, got the sales tax back as a gift card. Used the gift card to buy a shotgun soft case with lockable tabs.

Gift card was exactly what was needed for the case.

They still offer the gift card for the equilivent of the sales tax. Used it a month ago on a Henry rifle.

Does KTP report the sale to Mass, is that why you have to do the EFA-10
Ktp doesn't report it to mass. You "have to" do the efa10 because mass law says you have 7 days to do it......but sometimes people forget.....that's what I've been told anyway.

Did I mention handgun? No. I clearly mentioned shotgun.

Does KTP report the sale to Mass, is that why you have to do the EFA-10
You have to do the FA-10 because that's a MA law that says 7 days within buying a long gun out of state and you now owning it in MA, that you have to register in your name.

You don't have to register where you got it from.....just hit register, fill out the firearm data and submit.

KTP would report nothing to MA.....they could care less what you do, and there is nothing that says they have to report that I know of.

That said........You do a 4473 there though when purchasing, like any other gun...and with the Biden ATF who knows what they report to MA. I don't know if the ATF out of Boston covers southern Maine or not. If they are out of Boston....well....for sure they know about ME to MA transactions, as they audit the bound book or whatever approved document KTP uses to record transactions.

I've done many transactions there over the years and sales tax is always more than covered by a gift card if you pay for the gun at the store.

Online...not sure. I did buy a gun online one time at a 15% off flash sale and they didn't want to cover the tax cause it was online sale, and technically I had paid the tax already. I argued a bit (15% off really shouldnt have, saved alot on the gun) and they looked at my customer data and said...he's a good customer give it to him. YMMV with that.

They have top notch customer service.....it wasn't always that way for a while...and I got my share of Ma**h*** hate there before, mainly just when looking at guns and being ignored, but that has seemed to have gone away with as much as I hate the deli ticket system, it seems to be working. I'm not blaming them either, they tend to get a lot of rude MA/NY/CT city slicker a**h***s there and Im sure they get tired of dealing with them.

As a rule, I keep about a 500 dollar gift card and I just put a hold on the gun now, and go look at it, and if you don't like it they will credit the gift card back. Or I then will buy it there and they give you a card for the tax.

Last edited:
You have to do the FA-10 because that's a MA law that says 7 days within buying a long gun out of state and you now owning it in MA, that you have to register in your name.

You don't have to register where you got it from.....just hit register, fill out the firearm data and submit.

KTP would report nothing to MA.....they could care less what you do, and there is nothing that says they have to report that I know of.

That said........You do a 4473 there though when purchasing, like any other gun...and with the Biden ATF who knows what they report to MA. I don't know if the ATF out of Boston covers southern Maine or not. If they are out of Boston....well....for sure they know about ME to MA transactions, as they audit the bound book or whatever approved document KTP uses to record transactions.

I've done many transactions there over the years and sales tax is always more than covered by a gift card if you pay for the gun at the store.

Online...not sure. I did buy a gun online one time at a 15% off flash sale and they didn't want to cover the tax cause it was online sale, and technically I had paid the tax already. I argued a bit (15% off really shouldnt have, saved alot on the gun) and they looked at my customer data and said...he's a good customer give it to him. YMMV with that.

They have top notch customer service.....it wasn't always that way for a while...and I got my share of Ma**h*** hate there before, mainly just when looking at guns and being ignored, but that has seemed to have gone away with as much as I hate the deli ticket system, it seems to be working. I'm not blaming them either, they tend to get a lot of rude MA/NY/CT city slicker a**h***s there and Im sure they get tired of dealing with them.

As a rule, I keep about a 500 dollar gift card and I just put a hold on the gun now, and go look at it, and if you don't like it they will credit the gift card back. Or I then will buy it there and they give you a card for the tax.
They get a lot of idiots that finger f*ck every gun and won't stop telling stories about how life was back in 60s.

I get it, they are lonely and need someone to talk to, but don't hold the sales guy hostage.

On the other hand, the sales people need to be better at ignoring some of those. Like "you have finger f*cked 7 guns, I will help one of the 5 people waiting behind you".

They get a lot of idiots that finger f*ck every gun and won't stop telling stories about how life was back in 60s.

I get it, they are lonely and need someone to talk to, but don't hold the sales guy hostage.

On the other hand, the sales people need to be better at ignoring some of those. Like "you have finger f*cked 7 guns, I will help one of the 5 people waiting behind you".
I went thru waiting for an older story teller while picking up my can. I wanted to choke the guy as I was filling out the 4473 as he continued to babble away and not take my hint that I was busy.

I went thru waiting for an older story teller while picking up my can. I wanted to choke the guy as I was filling out the 4473 as he continued to babble away and not take my hint that I was busy.
One time I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting ... all I needed was some Black Powder, but I had to wait ... literally 15min go by and this dude is talking, telling a story about every gun he touches.

I looked at the sales guy and I said "I just need black powder, can you help me for 2 seconds" ... customer thought I was rude, sales guy said "I am helping this customer, I will ge to you".

One time I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting ... all I needed was some Black Powder, but I had to wait ... literally 15min go by and this dude is talking, telling a story about every gun he touches.

I looked at the sales guy and I said "I just need black powder, can you help me for 2 seconds" ... customer thought I was rude, sales guy said "I am helping this customer, I will ge to you".
And that would have been the last time my shadow darkened their doorway. It’s funny you mention 15 minutes. That’s how long it took to wait on rubber lips to get the hell out of the way and he wasn’t even fondling guns.

The store doesn’t seem to allow all of the salesman to work on NFA stuff. I only dealt with the manager or his #2 guy.

And as much as I hate deli tickets......and not that it doesn't still happen, as does the fingerf***ing..........but now your not stuck waiting behind that stupid ass customer, hearing their bullshit anymore, while trying to get the sales guy's attention to actually buy something. So essentially you can browse freely til your number is called, and piss off factor becomes less for everyone but the poor sales bastard that has to deal with these shitheads.

There were times there though when I was trying to buy something nobody was in line at the counter and two sales people were talking and I'd wait for a few minutes.....and they acted like I was rudely interrupting them or something wanting to buy something.

So it does work both ways.....I didn't go there for a long time because of that......tempted my fate after the deli tickets came in and covid craziness died out, and customer service has been stellar. Now when I go there's usually no or very little wait anyway because gun sales have gone way down and in stock stuff has gone way up.

Last edited:
And as much as I hate deli tickets......and not that it doesn't still happen, as does the fingerf***ing..........but now your not stuck waiting behind that stupid ass customer, hearing their bullshit anymore, while trying to get the sales guy's attention to actually buy something. So essentially you can browse freely til your number is called, and piss off factor becomes less.

There were times there though when I was trying to buy something nobody was in line at the counter and two sales people were talking and I'd wait for a few minutes.....and they acted like I was rudely interrupting them or something wanting to buy something.

So it does work both ways.....I didn't go there for a long time because of that......tempted my fate after the deli tickets came in and customer service has been stellar. Now when I go there's usually no or very little wait anyway because gun sales have gone way down and in stock stuff has gone way up.

But I don't like holding people.

My ideal gun store would have prices I can see from the counter, tags facing out. Caliber + pricing.

I hate being the dude asking to see 5 rifles. It annoys me, LOL.

But whatever, their business, they can do whatever they want.

Now, as a sales person, I can appreciate if their reasoning is to get the customer engaged. You don't want to give a customer all the info upfront, you want them to ask questions. If that is the reason, I respect it. But, does that work with gun customers? ... because no one ever tries to sell me on the gun once I ask to see it.

But I don't like holding people.

My ideal gun store would have prices I can see from the counter, tags facing out. Caliber + pricing.

I hate being the dude asking to see 5 rifles. It annoys me, LOL.

But whatever, their business, they can do whatever they want.

Now, as a sales person, I can appreciate if their reasoning is to get the customer engaged. You don't want to give a customer all the info upfront, you want them to ask questions. If that is the reason, I respect it. But, does that work with gun customers? ... because no one ever tries to sell me on the gun once I ask to see it.
Totally agree if your going to behind the counter guns. And I do get why expensive guns get behind the counter because people are fxcking Neanderthals when handling and are trigger snapping, wood finish destroying retards. I mean its a free for all in the regular racks there.

Big tags, facing out, with all the info you can see. Would stop a lot of the fingerf***ing and time wasting.

Of course.....prices are online pretty much, so there's that. And KTP maintains one of the best inventoried websites. But your not going to get your 75 year old Fudd to figure that out, because they just want to tell a story about how cheap their first Browning Citori was in 1970.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom