Kittery Purchase Question

I'm looking to purchase a used shotgun from Kittery Trading Post, but I'm hearing conflicting information about how to go about this. Does it need to be shipped to a dealer? Or is it true, that a form just needs to be filed after purchase?

If they are still offering the purchase in NH deal make sure tou ask before they ring you. Up , you will save the ME sales tax ?unless things have changed

If they are still offering the purchase in NH deal make sure tou ask before they ring you. Up , you will save the ME sales tax ?unless things have changed
I bought a shotgun there a year ago and they only offered the "walk it over the line to NH" deal for pistols.
However, they did give me a giftcard exceeding what I paid in Maine sales tax by about $5.

@Shakeyfly ONLY if the rifle or shotgun is legal for the buyer to own in his home state. So in this case, it needs to comply to the AWB and you need to have the appropriate MA license.

That obviously goes without saying, if he/it didn’t the question wouldn’t matter. Going by the fact he’s been a member here since 2012 I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

and take delivery at their NH store. Maine has a sales tax, NH does not. Go to Kittery, find what you want, agree on a price and request to take delivery at their NH "store". An employee will drive 3 miles to an abandoned rental car store, open it up, fill out the paperwork with you, and you don't have to pay Maine a dime in sales tax, takes about 20 minutes extra but I saved $100 and I HATE paying taxes.

I went into the Maine KTP and the process was great. Ordered online, drove up there, showed my MA LTC, filled out paperwork, and waited 15 minutes for background check. It was nice to look at all the goodies and other firearms while I was waiting. Walked out with a semi-auto shotgun.

Like others have said it can’t be a pistol and need to fill out eFA-10 within 7 days of bringing it into Massachusetts.

One recommendation is to bring your own lock if you have one. They didn’t provide a lock with purchase. I bought a new gun so it came with a case but I’m unsure about used guns.

Last edited:
That obviously goes without saying, if he/it didn’t the question wouldn’t matter. Going by the fact he’s been a member here since 2012 I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Its not obvious, and too many people just stop reading after the part that says you can buy a long gun in another state and assume they can drive up to NH and bring home an AR.

I'm looking to purchase a used shotgun from Kittery Trading Post, but I'm hearing conflicting information about how to go about this. Does it need to be shipped to a dealer? Or is it true, that a form just needs to be filed after purchase?
I've bought at least 10 Long guns from kittery trading post over the years. I'm from mass. It's Cash and carry. To be totally by the book just do an efa10 online within 7 days of bringing it to mass.

Anyone telling you you have to ship a long gun to a mass dealer is an ignoramus

Last edited:
They don't do that anymore....but they give you store credit equal to maine sales tax on gun purchases.

and take delivery at their NH store. Maine has a sales tax, NH does not. Go to Kittery, find what you want, agree on a price and request to take delivery at their NH "store". An employee will drive 3 miles to an abandoned rental car store, open it up, fill out the paperwork with you, and you don't have to pay Maine a dime in sales tax, takes about 20 minutes extra but I saved $100 and I HATE paying taxes.
No they won't anymore. They haven't in quite awhile. They give you store credit equal to the tax.

I went into the Maine KTP and the process was great. Ordered online, drove up there, showed my MA LTC, filled out paperwork, and waited 15 minutes for background check. It was nice to look at all the goodies and other firearms while I was waiting. Walked out with a semi-auto shotgun.

Like others have said it can’t be a pistol and need to fill out eFA-10 within 7 days of bringing it into Massachusetts.

One recommendation is to bring your own lock if you have one. They didn’t provide a lock with purchase. I bought a new gun so it came with a case but I’m unsure about used guns.
Why do you need a lock? I've bought multiple long guns from there and just drove em home no lock. If the gun isn't "high cap" there is absolutely no need to have it locked for transport.

Why do you need a lock? I've bought multiple long guns from there and just drove em home no lock. If the gun isn't "high cap" there is absolutely no need to have it locked for transport.
And if it was large capacity a lock would still be irrelevant since it needs to be in a locked container.

Thank you for the update, I haven't bought anything there in 4-5 years
I actually prefer the store credit. I buy hunting and fishing stuff there from time to time anyway and I'll spend the credit. Saves me the time to go to the other building and wait. It's a good deal.

Rifles and shotguns can be bought and carried. File Efa-10 once you get to ma within the timeframe allowed. Ten days I believe

edited to add I have bought a moss 590a1 and a rem 700 from them and left with both.
Does the same ten day period to file Efa-10 hold true if you sell a long gun to Kittery Trading Post? I know the form asks for the FFL number, but Kittery won’t give out the number.

Just bought a used shotgun there this week. Massachusetts LTC holder. Some points (most repeated):

- No more "tax free across the river" deal for non-Maine residents. They give you a gift card, roughly the amount of the Maine sales tax. But with very limited ammo options its sitting unused in my wallet
- Since it's an out-of-Massachusetts purchase you don't need your Mass PIN. However, you do need your LTC and there is the Federal Background Check. I searched everywhere for that old Gun Show Loophole, but dang, still couldn't find it.
- No trigger lock provided on used gun purchases. Bring your own if you're nervous about transport back to the Land of Healey
- Check online first to see if they have what you want, don't drive up there blind. The used long gun section is pretty skinny at the moment

The oddest part, for me: Walking through the store/parking lot with my gun at port arms, after purchase. The gun department is pretty far away from the front door, and a used gun has no box/case. So they put a paper ribbon through the trigger guard when the transaction is complete and it's removed at the door when you leave. But to get there you have to walk through most of the store and parking lot, through the tourists and shoppers and wool socks, with your gun. Most of the guys you see, holding their wives purses, are impressed. Their wives, not so much.

- No trigger lock provided on used gun purchases. Bring your own if you're nervous about transport back to the Land of Healey
My only critique is that a trigger lock doesn't satisfy transport requirements for high capacity long guns.
Non-large capacity long guns simply must be unloaded.

So, lock your large capacity shotgun in the trunk or bring a locked case, and leave the trigger lock at home.

Otherwise, your experience pretty much mirrors my own in NH when I bought from KTP.

The oddest part, for me: Walking through the store/parking lot with my gun at port arms, after purchase. The gun department is pretty far away from the front door, and a used gun has no box/case. So they put a paper ribbon through the trigger guard when the transaction is complete and it's removed at the door when you leave. But to get there you have to walk through most of the store and parking lot, through the tourists and shoppers and wool socks, with your gun. Most of the guys you see, holding their wives purses, are impressed. Their wives, not so much.

Just another day for most of us. That's is what we all call normal.

Why did they stop doing the Portsmouth shack thing? Did Maura get her knickers in a knot about it or something? Sad!

Why did they stop doing the Portsmouth shack thing? Did Maura get her knickers in a knot about it or something? Sad!
Narco thread! Portsmouth is NH and KTP still has their NH handgun outlet space there where you can purchase as a NH resident. Does not apply to MA or any other state. As thread notes above, can buy long guns but make sure they are AWB compliant if bringing them back to MA and of course the whole eFA-10 crap that normal states do not have.

Back
Top Bottom