king of the assault rifles

FYP.

Anyway, I'd take a Sig 550.

Some of you people don't get into the spirit like he does. If I could have one or two, the Sig 550 is on that list hands down. AK gas system, decent sights, and made like a Swiss watch. I'll leave the second one up to random chance on what I would want...

Joe R.

If you like that model You would love the SIG 510-4.

Its BATF exempted like the FN FAL G series rifles.
SIG_510.JPG

Ive been on the hunt for a 510-4 for a long time Ive seen 3 within the US in the last 20 years.

They are also California legal see post 7 in this old CGN thread.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49459&highlight=50.63

SIG AMT - a classic MBR.

smitty

They might have a SIG AMT but very doubtful that they have a SIG 510-4.

They might look the same, the key in legality is the receiver marking.

I assume they are closed now, Will attempt to make contact in the AM just to make sure.

In the case it is a SIG 510-4 I will be in your debt.

ETA: I called the shop and they stated it was a SIG AMT.

K&R Target Sports in Hudson has one of these on consignment.

Last edited:
Not that I am a big fan of an AK but it could out last just about anyhting. Ya dont have to clean it, worry about dust, dirt, water etc. It just keeps going.

But as stated earlier....its a major debate. Me....... M1A or an FAL. [wink]

I agree! To bad none of us can own a real assault rifle without a hefty price and tax stamp.

I know it...I spotted a Springfield Armory built, fully transferrable full auto M1A with a factory installed 18" barrel...As I drooled over the thought of filling the fun switch slot on my Troy MCS with it, I noticed the price tag: $15,000.00 [crying]

Since everyone is getting all technical about what an "assault rifle" is I'll give two answers: For a MA resident looking to stay in compliance I'd go with a FAL or an M1A, this is a no-brainer. As a trained USMC Rifleman, I can say with full confidence . . . "NATO 7.62 outperforms the NATO 5.56 in every category except weight".

If we were not in a police state I'd choose a M14 EBR with all of the attachments on standby.

NATO 7.62 outperforms the NATO 5.56 in every category except weight".

The 7.62mm NATO has a much loopier trajectory than the 5.56mm at normal engagement distances. Hence the 250M BSZ on the M-14 and the 300M BSZ on the M-16A2. The recoil is also much more manageable on the M-16.

I'd put those two in the 5.56 win column.

B

I believe the Ak47 is the most produced firearm in history. It also meets the definition of an assault rifle which many of the choices listed here don't. As others have mentioned, an assault rifle must be selective fire and fire an intermidiate round, not a full power service rifle round.

When you have two enemies each with a weapon in hand, but one of the enemies is dead, the weapon in the hand of the alive party is clearly the bettererer of the two.

So the skill of the operator has nothing to do with it??

I'm not sure how anyone comes up with a list containing anything beyond the AR, AK, FAL, or G-3. When I think of the "King" of the Assault Rifles, I'm thinking of something that meets the following criteria:

1. Length of active service: AK = 60+ years
AR = 40+ years
FAL = 30+ years
G-3 = 30+ years
Anything else out there that approaches that kind of longevity? The MP44 could certainly be considered the Grand-daddy of all assault rifles, but with a production length of a couple of years, it’s hardly the king. You can talk about the M14 still being in service, but its re-issue has been a fairly recent event so I’d struggle with considering it uninterrupted active service. When you talk about the newer models (Robinson, HK416, etc.), they may be good, but you don’t become the king in a few years. And anything that hasn’t been extensively tested in battle ( i.e. AR10) doesn’t even come close.

2. Breadth of Adoption: Widespread use of the AK and AR goes without saying. The FAL was adopted by over 90 countries and the G-3 was adopted by over 40 countries. When you talk about the Galil or its copies, you’re still talking about a handful of users. You’ve got the same problem with any of the bull-pup designs (AUG, FAMAS, etc). Use by a handful of countries may mean it’s a perfectly good rifle, but it doesn’t make it the king.

3. Total number Produced: This obviously ties into number 2 above. In short, anything less than “millions made” need not apply. There are certainly really cool high-end rifles like the SIG 510, or 550, but what are there like 12 of them in the world? I don’t think being Uber-cool makes you the king either.

4. Assault Rifle Caliber: Assault rifles use an intermediate caliber, including .308 (shortened 30-06), 5.56, 7.62 X39. The M-1 Garand is one of the manliest rifles ever built, but it’s not an assault rifle. That’s a battle rifle, along with the SMLE, the K-98, the 91/30, the 1903, etc. Please don’t ignore the OP’s request for input on Assault Rifles, by adding in your favorite battle Rifle. Start a thread asking about the “King” of battle rifles. [grin]

In terms of the need for an assault rifle to have a selector switch, I believe that to be a false assumption. Look at the past 8 pages of posts, and count how many times the M14 or FAL was mentioned. Now ask yourself if all FALs or M-14s had full auto capability. The answer is no. So, unless you maintain that an FAL with a selector switch is an assault rifle, but one issued to the same army in semi-auto is a “sporting rifle”, I think you’d have to agree that the full auto requirement is not true.

And if you maintain that semi-auto FALs or M-14s are battle rifles, see number 4 above. .308/7.62X51 was specifically designed as an intermediate cartridge, i.e., as referenced in the definition of an assault rifle.

So which one is my idea of the King (as if at this point any of you care)? Any of the four mentioned in the opening paragraph. Any debate between those is simply angels dancing on the head of a pin.
Thanks,

Chris

You make some valid points, but I guess I have a different definition of "King"

There are designs out there that are better in many respects but suffered from poor marketing, or, such as in the case of the Sig line, are simple way more expensive to produce than their counterparts.

And, of course, everyone will have their own opinions. I love the AUG, for example, and I've shot one extensively.

the extremely low adoption rates of the Sig 550, and the lack of combat that its seen makes me wonder how anyone can think its the best rifle in the world.

what has that rifle done to prove its better then the rest?

It may be the most accurate standard-issue assault rifle in the world...

Lack of combat doesn't mean that something isn't better than the rest. The Ohio-class SSBNs are the most powerful and survivable weapons system in existence, but they've never been tested in war either...

Back
Top Bottom