king of the assault rifles

One of the best would have to be an original Israeli made Galil. Reliability of an AK and the accuracy of an AR. [mg]

Tho I love my AR's,

I know the vote would have to go to the AK.

(BTW-I have both)

As someone who likes to think in terms of economics, the AK, hands down.

I'm always inclined to say "Steyr AUG" in these topics because I think the idea behind them is ingenious (bullpups in general)...but I'm not sure how they perform on the battlefield.

I'm always inclined to say "Steyr AUG" in these topics because I think the idea behind them is ingenious (bullpups in general)...but I'm not sure how they perform on the battlefield.

I believe they are standard issue with the Australian armed forces.

As someone who likes to think in terms of economics, the AK, hands down.

I fired a bullpub at the last ca shoot, I want to say it was a PS2000 or something like that, chambered in .223. Anyways, I was really surprised at the accuracy and the lack or recoil for it's compact size, which is all due to the design. I'd love to pick up an AUG someday.

Until then I'll stick to my AR & AK. Just gotta figure out what I want in 7.62x51 now. I'm kinda partial to the G3/HK91 design, but who knows I might end up with an M1A [wink]

When you have two enemies each with a weapon in hand, but one of the enemies is dead, the weapon in the hand of the alive party is clearly the bettererer of the two.

I fired a bullpub at the last ca shoot, I want to say it was a PS2000 or something like that, chambered in .223. Anyways, I was really surprised at the accuracy and the lack or recoil for it's compact size, which is all due to the design. I'd love to pick up an AUG someday.

Until then I'll stick to my AR & AK. Just gotta figure out what I want in 7.62x51 now. I'm kinda partial to the G3/HK91 design, but who knows I might end up with an M1A [wink]

probably the FN FS2000.. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago and had it out for the first time last weekend.. All I can say is I am really impressed. Light, handy, short, short manageable, no recoil, and the thing shoots!!!
Front ejection is HUGE for picking up your brass too!! And it takes AR mags!

To me it's way up there with the Aug and ps90.

probably the FN FS2000.. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago and had it out for the first time last weekend.. All I can say is I am really impressed. Light, handy, short, short manageable, no recoil, and the thing shoots!!!
Front ejection is HUGE for picking up your brass too!! And it takes AR mags!

To me it's way up there with the Aug and ps90.
That's gotta be it, I remember the brass going foward and landing in fairly neat piles and it taking AR mags. This FS2000 had a three optic system on it though that was pretty friggin B/A too.

I think the only real answer to this is to buy one of EVERYTHING and then take your time making a decison. And by time I mean the rest of your life. Life is not only long, but a continuous learning process, so why restrict yourself to one train of thought? Buy one (or four), try it/them out, decide what you think, then buy another one (or six) to compare to the previous one (or ten). Problem solved!

Which ever one you can shoot better. Does no good shooting through 2x4's if you can't hit one at 300 yards. [wink]

Can anyone see the hidden message...

You can hit a 2x4 at 300 yards with an AK, just have to aim about 20 inches high.

I vote for the AK b/c I have a great one and love it, I also can't afford to finish my AR right now so who know...but then again I probably won't be able to afford to shoot it once it is built.[sad2]

So no talk of the new designs like The Robinson XCR, FN SCAR, or Bushmaster ACR? Each of these have melded the AR and AK platforms and are or soon will be available in 5.56, 7.62x39, and 7.62x51. The only knock is that they are not yet proven through years of service.

Depends on the circumstances. It it's after a nuclear event or zombie uprising and all that's left is me and the cockroaches, then I want an AK and an air cooled VW Bug.

really assault rifles are only for plinking and self defense and ....showing off...sport utility rifles are for all around, including hunting in PA ,u cant hunt with a assault rifle even if there was-the hunters would think i am a basket case if i hunted with a ar15.

7.62x39 is a .308 short!

Actually, it's a .310 Short (or would that make it a .303 short??)

I've always considered "Assualt Rifle" to refer to a burst or fully automatic weapon sized for close quarters use. To me, a fully automatic version of an AR-10 patterned weapon with a 16-20" barrel would be an assault rifle despite using a full sized cartriage.

A light machine gun is a larger, heavier version of an assualt rifle intended more for area suppression than targeted fire. This would include SAWs, M-60s and their ilk.

To me, what I believe he is asking about is a battle rifle - A rifle patterned after a military weapon. M1 Garand, M1A, M14, AR-10, AR-15, FALs, SKS

And a Service Rifle is an actually "standard issue" weapon of a military Service - .303 Enfields, 1903 Springfields, M1 Garands, M14, M16.

I know we might disagree, but that's how I define them.

As for a "King" Assult Rifle - It's an on-going debate and one that will last long into the future. I'm really fond of some of the newer ones, like the G-36 and the experimental 25mm granade launcher with the 5.56x45mm underbarrel attachment.

Can anyone see the hidden message...

You can hit a 2x4 at 300 yards with an AK, just have to aim about 20 inches high.

I vote for the AK b/c I have a great one and love it, I also can't afford to finish my AR right now so who know...but then again I probably won't be able to afford to shoot it once it is built.[sad2]

And fire off 10 shots [rofl]

I would most definitely recommend the AR-15. Why?

a) Parts used to be readily available
b) Modifications are plentiful and used to be available
c) Ammo used to be cheap
d) It also used to be available
e) It is modular - by pushing two pins, you can remove your no longer available rifle upper and replace it with a carbine upper or an upper in another caliber (both incidentally, no longer available).

Just keep in mind that no two AR's are the same. The wisdom and experience of men like Pat Rogers have shown that at least for carbines, brands like Stag, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. tend to be fine for casual plinking but don't hold up as well under heavy use like Colt, LMT, or Noveske carbines do.

There will always be a debate...Some say AR's, some say AK's, I say: Anything that shoots 7.62x51. HK G3, M14, FN-FAL...Not necessarily in that order...[wink]

+1. Pretty much my standard, too.
I own CETME, FAL, PTR91 and M1As and love them all but the M1A is my personal favorite.
I have one AR but it's never been a real favorite and I personally believe that they are fussy and a PITA to clean & maintain.
The most dependable weapon ever built has to be the immortal AK. I have a Yugo that I have tortured for two years, I pee'd down the barrel once, and is still going strong - no rust, no breakage, no failures.
Show me an AR that'll do that.
And the AK may not give you sub MOA groups at 100 yards but they are not the spray & pray hosers people say they are.
In the end, it's a choice. Find a gun you like and can learn to shoot it well.

Back
Top Bottom