• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kel Tec Sub2k

Just picked up a new Kel Tec Sub2k in Hard Chrome finish, can't wait to get it out to the range. I had shot one of these when they first came out years back and always thought of picking one up down the road. I know opinions are mixed on these but I've been a fan for nothing more than the coolness factor.

I happened to walk into a shop to browse around and saw one in the case. I had never seen one at a shop locally, and never even knew they came in anything other than all black (as you can see I am not up on all the details of this thing). I asked about it and the shop had gotten it the day before so I snatched it up. I probably could have gotten one at a better price if a I really tried but seeing what they go for on auction sites I figured it was a safe bet. It's in 9mm with G17 mags. I was looking into accessories for it and was intrigued by the buffer tube cover but it would cover up the HC finish which would kind of bum me out. I have read online about people being on waiting lists for these things for close to 2 years before getting one so I guess I lucked out, or is production of these picking up at all?

Has anyone else seen any popping up new in shops? Just curious.
Looks like I'm going to have to stock up on some 9mm now [laugh]

Last edited:
you gotta post some pics now...funny I am actually picking up my kel tec sub 2000 in 40 cal when I get home from my current out of state work run. I got the call yesterday from my gun store I use that it came in. I looked on the kel tec website for accesories and saw something about aluminum rails? So im gonna have to see some pics of yours as I never saw the chromed out version. Enjoy it man

you gotta post some pics now...funny I am actually picking up my kel tec sub 2000 in 40 cal when I get home from my current out of state work run. I got the call yesterday from my gun store I use that it came in. I looked on the kel tec website for accesories and saw something about aluminum rails? So im gonna have to see some pics of yours as I never saw the chromed out version. Enjoy it man

Thanks guys, I'll work on the pics, I havent posten any pics on this site before so I'll see if I can figure it out.

Funny, that you are getting yours to...maybe the supply is picking up a bit. Were you on a waiing list for yours? I really like the hard chrome finish, it's more of a satin stainless look than what you think of "chrome". It's supposed to be pretty durable and similar to the marine coat on some guns.

here ya go...

Thanks enbloc, that's the ticket!

I will have to get it out to the range soon, but the only thing that'll take some getting used to is where to try and get a good cheek weld to be able to see through the optics properly. I find myself having to get pretty close to the rear aperture to be able to see the front sight properly. I see other people with their heads way back near the butt shooting these things in pics and on youtube with the factory sights and for the life of me I can't pick up on much of anything trying to aim from back there.

Thanks guys, I'll work on the pics, I havent posten any pics on this site before so I'll see if I can figure it out.

Funny, that you are getting yours to...maybe the supply is picking up a bit. Were you on a waiing list for yours? I really like the hard chrome finish, it's more of a satin stainless look than what you think of "chrome". It's supposed to be pretty durable and similar to the marine coat on some guns.

Actually I had inquired with my go to guy about the high point carbine(which I really wanted) and he said its been a long time since he had one in. Then said I am getting a kel tec in this week if you want that. So I said I gotta google that hold on haha. So I checked it out and for the price he gave me I figured why not ya know. Rad some good reviews and was kinda hoping it was in .9mm but I didnt own a .40 cal either. So when I get home the second week of october i will be picking her up. The pic enbloc enclosed is interesting. I am not one for multi colored guns. Never been a fan of two tone in anything. So I will keep mine all "evil" looking and black [wink] It should be fun to shoot and thats what its all about

Where did you see the tube cover advertised at?

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2
Hi Ray, the tube cover and a few other things can be found on www.tacticoolproducts.com their prices are pretty cheap but they only have a couple of things, like a bolt hadle cover and a buffer for reduced recoil.

MAGG the 40 should be fun with the higher power but the cheaper shooting 9 was def a selling point for me. Plus I already have a 9 so it's one less cal to stock. I think they look good in evil colors too, but I had never seen one in HC so I had to grab it.

Most accessories for these are crap like the scope mount. Anything that takes away from the fact of the rifle being handy isn't worth putting on IMO. There are a few options out there for anyone who wants a 9mm/40S&W carbine rifle that are better in accuracy and feel than the Sub 2000, but for a handy rifle that can be tucked away in a small area, its hard to beat it. When you start bulking it up with rails, lights, dots, foregrips, etc. then it stops being handy and compact.

Right now I have a sling on mine with the side mount and even that isn't a good design but it does what it was intended to do and thats allow you to carry the rifle around if you want to. I'll probably pick up one of the tube covers though. Looks like it beats using hockey tape like I have on mine now.

Thanks for the link.

I was looking into maybe the compact forend, I like the look of the quad rail but it just seems like a lot of money just to add one or two things on if that. Does anyone have the compact forend? And if so how do you like it.
After I spend some time shooting it I may also consider the stock extender as most people seem to have decent things to say about that

You got a heck of a deal. They are scarce as hens teeth and bring $500 or more on GB. You should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

Ok, let's see if i can do this right

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

There are some pics of my newest addition.

Ran a few mags through it today and had a few stove pipe fte. Hope this is just typical break in. Was shooting 115gr fmj federal. I am going to pick up some heavier grain bullets to see if that helps it break in. Any other suggestions? I didn't even get to put 50 rounds through it as I brought some newbies to the range today. Hopefully I will be able to break it in properly soon

Ran a few mags through it today and had a few stove pipe fte. Hope this is just typical break in. Was shooting 115gr fmj federal. I am going to pick up some heavier grain bullets to see if that helps it break in. Any other suggestions? I didn't even get to put 50 rounds through it as I brought some newbies to the range today. Hopefully I will be able to break it in properly soon

I ran steel-cased Wolf ammo through my used Sub2k for the first time yesterday and there were no issues. Did you take apart your carbine and clean/lube everything up? Whether a new acquisition is either factory fresh or previously owned, I always clean/lube so I personally know it's good to go. Try different brands of 115gr ammo and see if your carbine still experiences FTEs.

One appeal of the Sub2k is that it reliably eats up all types of ammo. The only type I've read it doesn't like is Blazer Aluminum.

I ran steel-cased Wolf ammo through my used Sub2k for the first time yesterday and there were no issues. Did you take apart your carbine and clean/lube everything up? Whether a new acquisition is either factory fresh or previously owned, I always clean/lube so I personally know it's good to go. Try different brands of 115gr ammo and see if your carbine still experiences FTEs.

One appeal of the Sub2k is that it reliably eats up all types of ammo. The only type I've read it doesn't like is Blazer Aluminum.

Fred I did give it a basic clean and lube before I took it to the range. I'll give it another clean a lube before the next time out and see how it does. Hopefully it breaks in and these go away

Gave mine another cleaning after the 30 rounds or so that I had put through it. Made sure I tried to reach every nook and cranny, but the receiver is a little tricky to clean. The bolt appears to have a few spots where the bluing was worn off a bit, hopefully that shows that it was hanging up a little and contributing to the FTE's I had gotten. Next time I bring it out I will run at least another 100 rds through it. Wish I had made it out a little earlier the other day but the sun was setting in a hurry so had to cut it short.

Quick question for you guys that have one of these?...do you lube both the stock tube and the bolt assembly? or just the bolt? Just wondering? I also read up on the Kel Tec forum that some people suggested locking the bolt open while in storage and that may help with the break in. I figured it couldnt hurt so I locked it open until I take it out again.

Can someone shoot this lefty for me? I like the idea but don't want a face full of brass.

I have owned two of these rifles in 9mm,it is not a good rifle to shoot if you are left handed.They had a clip that would keep the brass from going in your face, but the part I did not like was the blow back of gas in my face .

Back
Top Bottom