Kel Tec Sub2k

Only issue I ever had with mine was feeding JHP ammo when I first got it. Since the feed ramp is so accessible when its folded it was an easy fix with a Dremel polishing bit and some polishing paste.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

I found one in collectors gallery for 350 dollars and I bought it on impulse. Mine is in .40 cal as are 2 of my pistols so I couldn't resist.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I have owned two of these rifles in 9mm,it is not a good rifle to shoot if you are left handed.They had a clip that would keep the brass from going in your face, but the part I did not like was the blow back of gas in my face .
Thanks. I kinda figured as much. ARs for me!

Just finished cleaning her!
IMAG0135.jpg

I have one and been having a horrible time trying to sight in the front sight. Any advice?

Replace the front sight post with a Red Lion product if you're committed enough. The factory front sight is a POS. I had to shave down rough edges on the plastic fiber optic post. I got lucky that mine came sighted in properly so I haven't found the need to replace it.

Replace the front sight post with a Red Lion product if you're committed enough. The factory front sight is a POS. I had to shave down rough edges on the plastic fiber optic post. I got lucky that mine came sighted in properly so I haven't found the need to replace it.

I paid like 350 for the rifle. I just cant justify dropping 100 on the sight. Just less than a third of the rifle itself.

I paid like 350 for the rifle. I just cant justify dropping 100 on the sight. Just less than a third of the rifle itself.
This...some of the customizations you can do to these can quickly put you into ar $ territory quickly. To me unless I have some serious issues with the sites or something else I don't see myself sinking a bunch of money into this thing. At this point anyway...

Let's just say you get what you pay for. If you can't shoot what you're seeing then I'd say you're completely out the money you paid for the carbine. I don't see a reliable front sight as customization of the rifle, rather I see it as an essential replacement if the factory sights are giving you problems.

Not to belabor the point, but this issue is similar to buying a Mass compliant S&W M&P. The trigger is so bad that you're probably better off throwing the gun at the target. A trigger upgrade, specifically an Apex kit, is necessary. It might be 1/4 of the cost of the gun but I will pay that price in a heart beat. Then again, to each their own.

The front sight was one of the reasons I sold my Sub 2k. The rear sight was one of the other reasons. I think there were some aftermarket sights that were better, but I didn't have the time to play with it anymore.

I know I have seen a metal trigger upgrade but I don't think it really changes the pull at all. While I haven't put a lot of rounds through my sub I will def hold off on any big changes until I really spend some time with it. IMO if I was going to change out the sites I would just as we'll get rid of them all together and put some sort of optic on it.

Is there a kit for Sub2000s?

I'm not sure if there's a trigger kit for Sub2ks but you could probably get some trigger work done. I personally find the stock trigger to be quite clean. It was better than I was expecting out of $300-fold-in-half-beater-carbine.

I'm not sure if there's a trigger kit for Sub2ks but you could probably get some trigger work done. I personally find the stock trigger to be quite clean. It was better than I was expecting out of $300-fold-in-half-beater-carbine.

When I first read your post I thought you were comparing the Sub 2000 trigger to an M&P one.

Here's mine. I shortened up the factory forend, added a small quad rail block, made a sling attachment out of an AR15 buffer tube plate and added a Magpul AFG.

I will agree with just about everyone here, the front sight is terrible.

0BED25D3-6531-4359-8673-7E7AA417318B-6497-00000400A73CA4C2-1.jpg

3592293E-CFE1-4D20-9020-AA64E83C4162-6509-00000400DC55D14A.jpg

1DED40B2-0845-4E47-8D56-C9E35C81C285-6509-00000400E39D4181.jpg

6BC868CC-891C-4651-9A00-841483B03AF6-6509-00000400E9C52683.jpg

Last edited:
Here's mine. I shortened up the factory forend, added a small quad rail block, made a sling attachment out of an AR15 buffer tube plate and added a Magpul AFG.

I will agree with just about everyone here, the front sight is terrible.

0BED25D3-6531-4359-8673-7E7AA417318B-6497-00000400A73CA4C2-1.jpg

3592293E-CFE1-4D20-9020-AA64E83C4162-6509-00000400DC55D14A.jpg

I like the look of the Magpul AFG and the single point sling. Looks like a handy set up and more comfortable to shoot.
What bag is that you have in the first pic?

So I ended up going on th Kel Tec forum and checked out the pic thread. Some of the Sub 2000 owners went nuts with accessories. I honestly don't understand why someone would spend money like that on a $300-500 gun. Keep it simple stupid. Only thing I'm doing is buying the tube cover. Other than that, it's staying stock.

Last edited:
The tacticool crowd extends even to pistol caliber carbines. I think the Sub-2000 looks weird to begin with. I'd probably vomit if I saw the mall ninja version. I think you're doing the right thing by keeping it mostly stock.

Sent from my POS iPhone

Outback Arms in Plympton had 4 in stock as of this afternoon - 3 40's and a 9. Didn't check which mag version, 1 of them was chrome.

Interesting, these seem to be popping up a bit more often recently. Maybe they are catching up on production or there is just a fresh batch of them making their way out. From what I read on the kel tec boards they seem to produce in batches and move on the the next model.

Well they recently moved into a bigger facility to increase their production #'s to meet the demand that is out there for their products. Might have something to do with why Kel Tec products are popping up a little more often?

One thing I noticed in the manual was that there was nothing stated about lube. I made the assumption the bolt assembly needs it because that's metal on metal friction and have applied some. To the other Sub2K owners, what are you guys doing?

First time I cleaned mine when I first picked it up I coated the bolt with rem oil. After my first range trip I cleaned the tube liberally with clr and coated the bolt with that as well. I'll see how that works out.

Back
Top Bottom