• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr PM9 Looking for some insight?

Overall, I am still impressed with the weapon and plan to get a lot more practice in to smooth out my rough spots with it. The primary concern I have is around the failure to feeds. Anyone else have similar experiences? Just crappy Winchester?

Does the new MA-compliant PM9 have dual recoil springs? IMO, the Kahrs run a bit tight and need higher gr ammo with a bit of oomph to get them to work properly. My P380 is really finicky about what it is fed, and refuses to work well with anything under 90gr. Please also check your slide stop pin as it crosses through the frame. Mine had some milled features on it that protruded so far into the magwel area that it was rubbing against the nose and jacket of rounds as they fed causing FTF's or light-strikes. One call to Kahr and a new one was overnighted to me, their customer service is great.

Thanks for the heads up, I will check that out tomorrow. The Winchester is 115gr FMJ and had the FTFs, the 25 rounds of 147gr Hornady TAP had no problems.

any one has experiences with PM40?
hows PM9 vs PM40? pros and cons...
thanks
Given the significantly increased recoil that I feel when shooting my K40 over my K9, and given the recoil that I feel with my PM9, there is no way in heck I want to shoot a PM40 -- I suspect it would not be fun at all.

I just put my name on the list for one at 4 seasons. Hope to have it in the beginning of aug.
Night sights or without was my only decision and i have not decided yet. What do you guys think?

I checked out the PM9 at Four Seasons as well when I was there last Friday buying some revolvers. It's a sweet unit, and I'd suggest getting the factory installed N/S if it interests you. They're no fun to change afterwards, as Kahr tolerances are very tight and feel damn near welded to the slide when trying to push or remove.

Get the night sights. I have them on mine and they are the most effective sights I've ever seen on a small pocket gun.

(Shouldn't admit this, but sometimes I just sit in the dark and look at the glow of the sights and dry fire. They are VERY visible and accurate)

Given the significantly increased recoil that I feel when shooting my K40 over my K9, and given the recoil that I feel with my PM9, there is no way in heck I want to shoot a PM40 -- I suspect it would not be fun at all.

Having fired a K40 too, I'd have to agree.

It is a most unpleasant pistol to shoot. I cannot imagine making it lighter.

About the only thing worse might be an S&W scandium J frame in .357 Magnum.

When I got the call from Four Seasons that my PM9 was in, I was expecting the standard sights, as I was told that was what was mostly being shipped by Kahr. At the counter, I was asked if I wanted the standard or the night sights. It took me about two seconds to process that decision. Get the night sights, they are great.

Also, I found the pistol to be relatively pleasant to shoot for a small firearm. It was not much more difficult to control than my S&W M&P 9 (full size), and I could place five out of six shots on a paper plate at ten yards.

I just put my name on the list for one at 4 seasons. Hope to have it in the beginning of aug.
Night sights or without was my only decision and i have not decided yet. What do you guys think?

That's about a 2 week wait. Their web site says 2 month wait. I was thinking about one of these. Are they down to a 2 week wait?

I searched Davidsons for about 2 weeks until I found one. However I got the 'free state' version. Nice little gun. So far I have about 500 rounds through it. I had one failure, but it was related to the ammo.

Also, I found the pistol to be relatively pleasant to shoot for a small firearm. It was not much more difficult to control than my S&W M&P 9 (full size), and I could place five out of six shots on a paper plate at ten yards.

It isn't bad to shoot, but it is more difficult to control my M&P40c. I can get all the shots on a paper plate at 10 yards, but just barely on the plate. The M&P 40c I can easily get all the shots on target. Granted it could just be the M&P is more comfortable in my hands, but the PM9 is super easy to carry, but IMO it is not nearly as easy to control as the M&P.

I have not found the long triger reset on the Kahr PM-9 to be a problem since it resembles that of a revolver. However if you regularly shoot a Glock, S&W M&P, Sig or a 1911 then you will immediately sense a difference. The Kahr trigger reset feels trigger.better for me that the Para Ordnance LDA

That's about a 2 week wait. Their web site says 2 month wait. I was thinking about one of these. Are they down to a 2 week wait?

I am being optimistic. They get them in once a month but it's possible they won't get any next month. Don't rain on my parade and let me think it's coming soon[smile]

I have installed NS on the PM9, no question thier welded on!

Can you clarify that statement a bit?

Were you able to install night sights on a PM9 and, if so, how did you do it? They certainly appear to be a relatively standard dovetail.

what's the difference between the MA compliant and the 49 state version?

Loaded Chamber Indicator and external safety. Oh, and stupid safety warning stamped on the top of the slide.

mdtl_pm9193.jpg

I have a PM9 and the guide rod catches on the hole in the slide as the slide is pulled to the rear. This puts all of the pressure on one of the 2 recoil springs, and it makes the slide VERY HARD to open and lock. Once you get the slide 3/4 of the way open, the guide rod pops through the opening.

I have not had any difficulty when shooting this gun, as I'm sure that the recoil overcomes this added weight.

I called Kahr today, and with only a short pause to "ask his colleagues," I have a new recoil assembly coming to me at no charge. I'll let you know how it works.

Wait, was it a sticker, or was it etched into the metal? BIG difference there.

OK, one down.

Now, if this has a magazine disconnect, we need to disable that.

The loaded chamber indicator is kind of useless, but not a show stopper. It just makes a gun look more ugly, like the front laser/light rails.

Loaded chamber indicators are useless for their intended purpose, but I like the idea of being able to look in the little hole in the chamber of the Sig and KNOW there is a round in there. Are there other ways to tell? Yes, but greater peace of mind seeing the rim of the cartridge.

Mike

Loaded chamber indicators are useless for their intended purpose, but I like the idea of being able to look in the little hole in the chamber of the Sig and KNOW there is a round in there. Are there other ways to tell? Yes, but greater peace of mind seeing the rim of the cartridge.
I just retract the slide enough to see the cartridge.

Brass check, make sure the mag seats another round after you rack the slide, etc. I know there are other methods, but I have no objection to having a hole in there, if given the option I would choose that over not having it. I'm not saying I think it should be a requirement, just that I like it.

Mike

I always carry with a round in the chamber. That is what the safe action pistols such as the Kahr, Glock, S&W M&M etc. are designed to be used. In a critical situation I woulod want to draw, point and shoot without worrying about racking the slide or activating/deactivating external safeties.

Back
Top Bottom