• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

For the Love (or hate)of the Taurus PT Poly 22

Needed a very very small firearm for ultra concealment at work and went with a Taurus PT Poly 22. I have had it a week and it has been my "project"of sorts. I didn't have a lot of money to spend at all( $250) and needed something- anything -right now . In the week I have had this firearm I have put a lot of work into it and approx.400 rounds.The first 100 being standard velocity ( Federal Punch horrible,)and even some Higher Velocity Remington Golden was just ok,along with Aguila High Vel. - again just ok.)This first batch of 100 was riddled with Stovepipes and Failure to ejects The following 300 have all been CCI MINI MAGS High Velocity, and aside from the light primer strike or 2,all have cycled flawlessly with 6 in the 8 round mag and one in the pipe. PROS AND CONS

PROS -
1.Incredible Price Point compared to the LCP,Or Bodyguard.
2. Ultra concealment in my ankle holster at work,very very light carry
3. Once you use CCI MINI Mags, gun pretty much ran flawless.
4.Awesome pocket carry when hitting the store real quick.
5. Very light recoil

CONS
1.Discontinued firearm now,I should have done a bit more research, can't find Poly Mags anywhere. I called Taurus and they said my serial numbers allows me to use the older version Mags so I did buy one of those- It worked!
2. 22 is not great for self defense this we know. However I would be able to drop 7 rounds very accurately and fast on a advancing bad guy center mass.
3. LONG trigger pull,although very smooth but you have to reset all the way foward .Very safe for pocket/ankle carry and I do not use the safety.
4. Both Mags does not work with a full 8 even w CCI Running w 6 in the Mag,one in the pipe
5 Failure to extract can take a bit longer to clear because of the tip up barrel.

In the end, I trust it to do the job when needed.I do not ever plan on being in a prolonged gun battle and consider this gun to serve me should one arise. ( A get off me and retreat gun) With the 2 mags I have 13 rounds.
Would like to know if anyone else had one of these? Some tips you may have?

For a similar size, you could carry a lcp in 380. I‘d much rather rely on a 380 than a 22 to stop a bad gut. I have a Kel Tec P3AT in 380 and an LCP in 22. The latter is fun for dayzzzzz to shoot at the range, with the former being thr most punishing handgun I own But all things considered, the 380 is the smallest caliber I would carry for self defense.

Had the metal frame model and it too was very light, but too fat for the caliber. It was fun to have, I like a tip up .22 for single loading, but I couldn't live with a DAO rimfire. I would consider buying another tip up if it had a DA/SA, so far only Beretta makes that.

Back
Top Bottom