• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just when you think Boston cannot take it any lower we get this: New proposal for income-based parking ticket fines in Boston

A most likely scenario is a standard fine, with a discount if you hold an EBT card or similar. Naturally, the standard fine will need to be increased so this approach does not reduce the take.

Large companies that spend all day delivering around Boston have people who's only job is dealing with parking tickets.

A meter maid told me once that the city of Boston has a program for delivery companies that greatly reduces the amount they actually pay for parking tickets.
Companies like UPS, DHL and others qualify for it, but it requires the plate numbers of all the vehicles used in Boston be listed with the city.
If one of their vehicles gets tagged, the company only pays $1, regardless of the actual ticket amount.
This applied to most of your standard violations like expired meter, no stopping zone, double parking etc, but NOT for blocking a hydrant or crosswalk.
Once I had to go retrieve a DHL van that was towed by the BTD, and bring it to the DHL facility in Southie.
The driver had a medical issue and went to the hospital, while the van was on the street in front of the place he was making his delivery.
The BTD towed it to their yard on Frontage rd.
When I picked it up, it had several tickets on it. I towed it to DHL and the manager came out and told me where to put it.
He noticed all the tickets on it and said to me "we're going to have to pay full price on all these tickets because it's a spare van that's on loan to us from another facility, the plate is not listed in the Boston database".

Are you talking about tradesmen like electricians and plumbers?

If they have a long job, they are destined to get tickets?

So, they pass that on to the customer?

That's a hoot.

Of course, the customer chose to live in a city that operates that way, they are used to life being expensive.

Yup
Our guys have got tickets while in the middle of unloading a 40' ladder off of the truck in front of a building we were working on.
The other option was trying to single handedly carry it six blocks which was where the nearest parking was.
She was literally writing the ticket as he was struggling to get it off the back of the truck.
He said to her , "Can you cut me a break here ? I'm just dropping this off and going down the road to park. "
She said "Nope" and slapped it on the windshield.

My old man was a union ironworker and since there was little to no parking on the job sites , it was get a ticket every day or don't show up to work.
He wasn't dragging a 300lb job box on the T.

If you chose to live somewhere where service people can't get to , expect to pay more.
Register the vehicle out of state so MA can't refuse to renew your registration. I got tickets out of state and never paid them. They ended up in the nearest storm drain. Never had a problem.

True, but even more egregious is the fact that the City goons would have to get your personal tax return info to determine what the fine is. Based on past history (noted below) you can be certain that MA DOR (in direct violation of MGL) will be more than happy to provide that info to the Boston goons in charge of ticketing.

NOTE: Sometime in early-mid 1970s everyone's assigned DLs was magically changed to their SSN (DL application forms did NOT ask for SSN back then). In a meeting with a senior attorney for HUD (back then) he told me that DOR illegally gave everyone's SSN to the MA RMV to do this. Of course, they would do this sort of thing again in a heartbeat.
My DL# is not a social security number. I've managed to keep it that way since I got it in 1978.

Back
Top Bottom