Just shot my first Glock this weekend...

... and Damn it!! Now I hate my M&P....[sad]
OK, maybe "hate" is a little too strong of a word, but damn, did I love that thing.
Many thanks to Wiskey672 @ HHRG for letting me put a mag through his new Glock 17.
The sights (in comparison to my M&P 9c) were SUPER tight, and I fired off a very tight group (for me) with the first several rounds, right by the bullseye @ 7 yds. I got lazy and impatient with the next few rounds...
I shot it better than I shoot my own gun [frown]
Now, in my (and my M&P's) defense, the G17 is a full size. Thus, my compact has a shorter sight radius and a lighter weight, hence the increased perceived recoil. It goes without saying that the Glock trigger (this one apparently had a 3.5 lb. trigger) was WORLD's better than my stock M&P MA compliant trigger, and I feel contributed greatly to my accuracy.

So, my question is (and I will do some searches and research on my own as well): If I switched to a Glock, I'd want the G26, as I do prefer the size of the M&P that I have for CCW, and the G26 is even slightly smaller :)
I'm wondering out loud if I might be as accurate (theoretically) with the G26 as I was with the G17. With the smaller sight radius and weight than the 17, do you think I could experience the same accuracy with both?
I'd hate to switch guns just because I shoot the full size version better, only to find out I'm no better with one compact than another.

Lastly, you'll have to forgive my Glock ignorance, but are there MA regulations on trigger weight, and how can I circumvent restrictions if they exist. I believe I've seen posts about how easy and cheap it is to do a DIY trigger job on the glock?

Here we go again!!!!![laugh]

The G17 hits the mark in my opinion. It's just the right size, just the right caliber, for accuracy and ease of use. I carry one concealed, and yea, it isn't small, but it conceals fine. People carry so much crap on their belts these days that a bump here and there blends right in.

Now you need to shoot a 1911 and you'll throw those pieces of plastic away.

One of these days, maybe I'll get the chance! However, I'm partial to the 9mm caliber, and the light weight and small size of the pistols for ease of carry and concealment. I'm sure I'd appreciate the accuracy of the 1911 though!

Get the crappy MA trigger on the M&P fixed instead. Both of my M&P's are totally different guns after some trigger work.

I have thought about it and am still considering it. I haven't ruled it out yet though! Maybe I need to upgrade the sights too. The glock's are just so damn TIGHT! Great sight picture...

I drank the glock cool aid a long time ago and I will most likely never change pistols. That being said I put one mag through a M&P 40 with a non Ma trigger and all my shots were touching. Try a M&P with a real trigger before you take a loss and them pay a premium for a mini glock.

I drank the glock cool aid a long time ago and I will most likely never change pistols. That being said I put one mag through a M&P 40 with a non Ma trigger and all my shots were touching. Try a M&P with a real trigger before you take a loss and them pay a premium for a mini glock.

I'd like to do that. Maybe I'll run into someone at HHRG with a trigger-jobbed compact 9 and I can try it out.
(Any takers in here?)

If you have the M&P the trigger job will make it a lot better probably. Comparing the glock with target trigger and an M&P with a Ma trigger is not apples to apples......

Glock triggers are easy to manipulate and change to a 3.5#, for carry you would never use that.......but they come with stock 5.5 trigger so it's way lighter than MA comp M&P to begin with.

Welcome to the dark side! I have 3 Glocks, and love them. More shall follow.

Be prepared for nay-sayers to break your stones about the rare glock kabooms. They only happen in the .40 s&w caliber (from what I have heard) and it is almost always because of overloaded reloads. (besides, like EC says, "nothing good can come from the .40).

JayMac;1277729[QUOTE said:
]... and Damn it!! Now I hate my M&P....[sad]

Lastly, you'll have to forgive my Glock ignorance, but are there MA regulations on trigger weight, and how can I circumvent restrictions if they exist. I believe I've seen posts about how easy and cheap it is to do a DIY trigger job on the glock?
Welcome to the world of Glock Perfection [grin]. I know of no such law/regulation that says you can't change the trigger pull. The M.G.L.G. may be along at any moment to correct me though [wink]

Now you need to shoot a 1911 and you'll throw those pieces of plastic away.
The 1911 is a classic and GREAT firearm. I'd carry one except it has two major drawbacks, 1. see below, 2. The more parts you have, the more chances you have of something breaking or not working.
Pilgrim, I love the 1911 and it's history and it's endentured servitude to America, but I'll take my 11 rounds of .45ACP everyday.

You forget one crucial thing: capacity.

That said, I dumped my M&P for Glocks.....mainly because they are so easy to work on and clean, have billions of websites for availble parts, come stock with a light trigger, pre ban hicap availability, and go Kaboom.

There is nothing in the regs that says you can't change trigger pull, and on a Glock it's as simple as changing out the connector/trigger spring. Takes all of 15 minutes with the only tool being a punch.

I have a 1911, love how it shoots, but really don't like it for carry, sounds weird but cocked and locked I don't feel comfortable with.........G30SF with 11 in it is a smaller package and works for me.

Last edited:
One of these days, maybe I'll get the chance! However, I'm partial to the 9mm caliber, and the light weight and small size of the pistols for ease of carry and concealment. I'm sure I'd appreciate the accuracy of the 1911 though!

companies do make 9mm 1911s...smith and wesson makes a nice looking one

I have a 1911, love how it shoots, but really don't like it for carry, sounds weird but cocked and locked I don't feel comfortable with.........G30SF with 11 in it is a smaller package and works for me.

Mark,
If you have the chance, try a G36 slide on your G30SF frame and you will fall in love. It's a G23 in weight and size but in .45 ACP [smile]

I'm not reading though this whole thread. My advice though is get a trigger job on the M&P...AND....save up yer dimes and go buy the Glock so you have BOTH.

JayMac;1277729 Welcome to the world of Glock Perfection [grin said:
. I know of no such law/regulation that says you can't change the trigger pull. The M.G.L.G. may be along at any moment to correct me though [wink]

The 1911 is a classic and GREAT firearm. I'd carry one except it has two major drawbacks, 1. see below, 2. The more parts you have, the more chances you have of something breaking or not working.
Pilgrim, I love the 1911 and it's history and it's endentured servitude to America, but I'll take my 11 rounds of .45ACP everyday.

Well, the Sig P220 is a nice model and holds 9

The Sig P220 is a very nice pistol. But, it still has a low capacity when compared to Glocks.

Glock 21 - 13 rounds (Full size)
Glock 30 - 10 rounds ("Compact" [rofl])
Glock 36 - 6 rounds (Slimline)

True, but unless you can get pre-ban mags, the most you can put in the Glock 21 is 10+1

Jaymac you are welcome to try my G27 anytime. You met me at your first HHRG meeting. I have an M&P 9c that I shoot well. I shoot the G27 better.

Back
Top Bottom