Just my thoughts on mass gun law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's flip the question. Do you think mandatory training should be required to buy or operate every piece of machinery. Chainsaws? Drills? Pencil sharpener?

Well at some point some one should have atleast shown you how to properly use any those you listed hopefully.

A chainsaw can ruin your day in a split second, training would be advised

I've been muzzle swept with loaded guns by people who had their BFS/BP cert. It doesn't make anyone safer, the only people who are safer are the ones who actually heed the training. Forcing people to get a cert doesn't mean they will handle guns safely.

Agreed.

Having a driver's license doesn't mean one drives safely.

As far as "understanding the laws" go, obviously most of these courses don't cover the laws well, otherwise we wouldn't be getting flooded with legal questions here every day.

-Mike

Ha!

I am surprised there aren't more posts in the Off-Topic asking things like "Hey, everybody, I don't remember--which side of my vehicle is the fuel filler hatch?"

We are just lazy.

As Jimmy Kimmel said at the White House Correspondents' Dinner, "You can tell how out of shape we are by the way we protest. We used to march. Now we occupy.”

scaled.php

i even resisted the urge to post cats...

Last edited by a moderator:
The training requirements aren't there to increase safety. They're there to make gun ownership more difficult and expensive. Such infringement on a natural right is not to be taken lightly. I'm not at all opposed to firearms training. I think everyone new to shooting should get some. I am, however, opposed to the government mandating it. The ~$100 cost and day of time might not be a big hardship for most, but what about the fixed income grandmother in Dorchester who's watched her neighborhood go to shit around her and can barely afford a battered old shotgun for home protection, let alone the $100 for a class and another $100 for an LTC/FID. Does she have any less of a natural right to self defense than I do? Absolutely not.

I don't think most of us here are opposed to training, per se, rather we're opposed to the notional that the government should be able to force you to get it. Every extra requirement that gets put in place ends up being an infringement, and doesn't usually increase safety.

-Mike

Here we go you guys did it now! Now I'm chiming in!

Common sense would say its a good thing that you get some training with a deadly weapon but most on here as mentioned say it infringes on their rights which yes it does but your handling a object that could kill your self or some one else very easily. So you should know how to use it, even if the training only helps one out of a hundred people that is better then nothing. Although not a right do you want people driving around in cars without ever getting any training? I would hope not!

Their has to be some give and take to win the battle and this is one of those give situations that may make some feeler a little safer when they go to bed at night then so be it.

It's the mandate that we're against? Ok, sort of like RomneyCare, ObamaCare, mandatory car insurance...that sort of crap, correct? Not the training itself. [thumbsup] Right on.

The fact that mass wants only guns that are of a safe quality, and will not be a hazard To the shooter or people around them is not a bad thing . . .

You don't really think that's what it's all about, do you? Really?

It's the mandate that we're against? Ok, sort of like RomneyCare, ObamaCare, mandatory car insurance...that sort of crap, correct? Not the training itself. [thumbsup] Right on.

Understood.. Besides being a pain in the ass to do it really doesn't hurt anything and will help some..

Understood.. Besides being a pain in the ass to do it really doesn't hurt anything and will help some..

That's what people say about most gun laws, like being forced to get an LTC, Background checks, all that BS.... None of it should be required, at least not by law.

-Mike

Well at some point some one should have atleast shown you how to properly use any those you listed hopefully.

So I take it you ate the lead paint chips off the wall as a child because no one showed you exactly what paint was for and how to apply it?

It's a god damn right, not a privilege. I'm shocked this is so hard for some of you people to understand. Stop trying to compare it with a car, it's not the same thing. Mandatory anything to exercise a right is a crock of shit, plain and simple.

You don't really think that's what it's all about, do you? Really?

No not at. But thats the slogan that they preach on it, and if there gonna put some crap regulation out there at the least make it understandable, but that would defeat the point of them doing it. Thats why it needs to go its bull and it makes no sense.

The good
1) mandatory basic fire arms training. it may seem to some to be a waste of time but i think a lot of people including my self have a better and safer understanding of guns and the gun laws in mass because of this. I like it
Uh huh, tell that to my father who to this day refuses to hand over $100 for "training". As I've been told "I had enough training in vietnam, I'm not paying $100 to sit in some class and correct some as***le who has never seen combat about firearms". 20 years in the military and the state think's he should pay to learn the basics of guns? Yeah, I don't think so.

The only thing I managed to learn when I took the class is I had less money the next day.

I'm at odds here. You're taught how to talk. You're taught how to drive a car. You're taught how to operate machinery. You're taught what's safe, what's not. Can someone smarter than me, explain why folks are opposed to getting trained on a piece of machinery, because that is what a firearm is, at it's core.

As far as the rest of the "rules", it seems like they're just put down so some legislator can jusifiy their paycheck by "coming up with new laws"...or some such crap.

You stop being taught everything, and think for yourself eventually, it's called "growing up".

I'm at odds here. You're taught how to talk. You're taught how to drive a car. You're taught how to operate machinery. You're taught what's safe, what's not. Can someone smarter than me, explain why folks are opposed to getting trained on a piece of machinery, because that is what a firearm is, at it's core.

As far as the rest of the "rules", it seems like they're just put down so some legislator can jusifiy their paycheck by "coming up with new laws"...or some such crap.

The key part is "mandatory."

Training is very good. Mandatory training is very bad.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

So I take it you ate the lead paint chips off the wall as a child because no one showed you exactly what paint was for and how to apply it?

It's a god damn right, not a privilege. I'm shocked this is so hard for some of you people to understand. Stop trying to compare it with a car, it's not the same thing. Mandatory anything to exercise a right is a crock of shit, plain and simple.

Again understood.. But it has been one of the biggest most debated rights out of all the rights we have.
Other rights have taken a beaten and are slowly being taken away right under our noses, that has a lot to do with the fact that so much attention has been given to the 2nd amd. and less towards other rights. So for the most part the government has basically allowed some wins on gun issues to keep people happy enough. The rights could be taken away with a executive order by the president in a matter of minutes.

i get your point and agree that no one should be able to stop any one from there right to bear arms. And im not at all oposed to getting rid if the laws. I have gotten alot of feed back about the fsc and how apparently it dose nothing, i thought difrently about before but i trust the more experienced people here have a better understanding about it and i see and respect there view about it being mandatory. Thats the point of this thread,

You stop being taught everything, and think for yourself eventually, it's called "growing up".

I love how some of you think your free of government control and don't need to be taught anything..
You pay taxes? told you need to license to drive a car? told you need to obey a speed limit? You and every one else is a slave to the government weather you (we) like it or not! This will never change.

Again understood.. But it has been one of the biggest most debated rights out of all the rights we have.
Other rights have taken a beaten and are slowly being taken away right under our noses, that has a lot to do with the fact that so much attention has been given to the 2nd amd. and less towards other rights. So for the most part the government has basically allowed some wins on gun issues to keep people happy enough. The rights could be taken away with a executive order by the president in a matter of minutes.

What.... the..... ****? Dumbness highlighted for emphasis.

serious.jpg

No wait... the really ****ed up part is... is that you probably ARE serious.... [rofl]

To get my LTC, and FID, I never took a formal class.

Most people that I've shot with, would say I'm safe.

I learned from my dad. My kids have learned from me.

But to get an FID or LTC, they will have to take a class. Why?

If it's about safety, why is a Hunter Ed course statutorily acceptable for LTC issuance, when there is no actual firearm handling, much less live fire in that class?

Because it's not about enhancing safety, it's about enhancing control.

If the state can mandate a trainigng class that includes XYZ at a cost of $$, they can easily mandate STUVWXYZ at a cost of $$$$.

Don't believe it? My lifetime (indefinite unless suspended or revoked ) FID was made null and void, and renewable at $100 /6 years.

This is the philosophical argument against state-mandated training.

Everyone should get trained, but they should NOT be told to do it.

Last edited:

Wha?? [thinking]

I love how some of you think your free of government control and don't need to be taught anything..
You pay taxes? told you need to license to drive a car? told you need to obey a speed limit? You and every one else is a slave to the government weather you (we) like it or not! This will never change.

Perhaps spelling needs to be taught....?

/grammar nazi

128889586480551125.jpg

For those who are not machinists, I have a couple lathes I want you to operate......don't complain to me if it takes your forearm off and throws it 30' away, though. Grow up and think for yourself. That about right, TomH?

To get my LTC, and FID, I never took a formal class.
Most people that I've shot with, would say I'm safe.
I learned from my dad. My kids have learned from me.
But to get an FID or LTC, they will have to take a class. Why?
If it's about safety, why is a Hunter Ed course statutorily acceptable for LTC issuance, when there is no actual firearm handling, much less live fire in that class?
Because it's not about enhancing safety, it's about enhancing control.
If the state can mandate a trainigng class that includes XYZ at a cost of $$, they can easily mandate STUVWXYZ at a cost of $$$$.
Don't believe it? My lifetime (indefinite unless suspended or revoked ) FID was made null and void, and renewable at $100 /6 years.
This is the philosophical argument against state-mandated training.
Everyone should get trained, but they should NOT be told to do it.
+1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom