Just bought a Ruger MKiii

ruger_13147.jpg

I just brought her home. This should be a good weekend!

Nice!

I'm getting to know mine pretty well. Sunday I Volquartsend' the trigger and bolt, and disabled the magazine catch.
Watch the videos on disassembly and re-assembly, and pay special attention to the feel of the mainspring when you close the latch on the back of the handle.

Sweet! Enjoy! She will chew up and spit out any ammo you feed it. As said above. Watch the vids. If the hammer strut is in just the wrong position during reassembly you can lock them up so bad that it have to go to Ruger to get fixed. It is not all that hard to do correctly but, it is very easy to do it wrongly.

Nice!

I'm getting to know mine pretty well. Sunday I Volquartsend' the trigger and bolt, and disabled the magazine catch.
Watch the videos on disassembly and re-assembly, and pay special attention to the feel of the mainspring when you close the latch on the back of the handle.

So, in youre opinion, is the trigger worth it? I've been eying them up. I also watched a few vids. One was a guy polishing all the surfaces. It dramatically changed the trigger pull. Started at 5.5 lb and ended up a 3.5lb

- - - Updated - - -

Sweet! Enjoy! She will chew up and spit out any ammo you feed it. As said above. Watch the vids. If the hammer strut is in just the wrong position during reassembly you can lock them up so bad that it have to go to Ruger to get fixed. It is not all that hard to do correctly but, it is very easy to do it wrongly.

I saw that in a video but i didn't know it could go that badly! Thanks for the warning

Yeah once you put in some Volquartsen parts, the trigger is much better and installing an MKII hammer bushing to remove the magazine disconnect makes it a little easier to take down and reassemble. And the parts are cheap, I had a friend of mine install the VQ target sear and MKII hammer bushing since I was too lazy to watch YouTube videos and didn't trust myself doing the work really.

Another easy upgrade/mod I did was with the magazines. I don't know if it was just the magazines that came with my MKIII Hunter or if this is the case with all of them. But I noticed they were very gritty to press down the button/spring to load rounds so I did some research and read on another forum that the MKII follower buttons are slightly longer or have a bigger gap where they ride along the side of the magazine so they don't grind against the side of the magazine when you press the follower down. They work great now and slide up and down nice and smooth.

I ordered them directly from Ruger but I noticed Midway has them also:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...ollower-button-ruger-mark-ii-22-45-all-models

If you plan on shooting it a lot, I HIGHLY recommend installing at least the volquartsen target sear and the MKII hammer bushing to remove the magazine safety. I haven't heard that the VQ target hammer or any other parts really improve the trigger but the sear certainly does.

Last edited:
Yeah once you put in some Volquartsen parts, the trigger is much better and installing an MKII hammer bushing to remove the magazine disconnect makes it a little easier to take down and reassemble. And the parts are cheap, I had a friend of mine install the VQ target sear and MKII hammer bushing since I was too lazy to watch YouTube videos and didn't trust myself doing the work really.

Another easy upgrade/mod I did was with the magazines. I don't know if it was just the magazines that came with my MKIII Hunter or if this is the case with all of them. But I noticed they were very gritty to press down the button/spring to load rounds so I did some research and read on another forum that the MKII follower buttons are slightly longer or have a bigger gap where they ride along the side of the magazine so they don't grind against the side of the magazine when you press the follower down. They work great now and slide up and down nice and smooth.

Thanks! Very good info. I promised myself I would shoot it at least once before I start canoodling with it. The MKII hammer bushing sounds interesting. Yes, the magazines are disturbingly gritty. I may try that ,mod as well. But first, shoot the crap out of it...

Congrats they are great guns. Watch a couple of YouTube videos and you will get the hang of taking it apart in no time. Just watch out, the pin on the main spring housing holding the bolt in can be very tight.

I understand its no Glock but I feel optimistically cautious. Ive had apart lever actions,, revolvers, motorcycles, etc. Carefully, right?

Yeah once you do it a couple times and watch YouTube videos, it's not so bad. I'll admit that when I first got my MKIII Hunter, it took me like an hour and a half to disassemble and reassemble-so don't think you're retarded if it takes you a while for your first time. I looked at the clock and I couldn't believe how long it had taken me to do it. Now I can probably do it in like 5 minutes or so. One of the better videos yet a goofy video was this one:

Ruger Mark III Dis/Assembly - YouTube

I just bought mine on Sat. I haven't shot it yet but I've owned them before and love 'em! They're reliable and fun as hell, but a pita to clean! Enjoy!

I just bought mine on Sat. I haven't shot it yet but I've owned them before and love 'em! They're reliable and fun as hell, but a pita to clean! Enjoy!

I just use some Gunscrubber to blast out all the crap in the trigger housing/frame then spray some Hornady one shot dry lube. Keeps it very clean and well lubricated. For the bore I started with a boresnake but it always gets hung up and almost impossible to pull through so I just use a good ol brass brush and some cloth patches.

Check out Mystic Arms and the parts (enhancements) they make. Very high quality. They make a "kit" you can install that allows you to take out the bolt with an Allen wrench. I had the trigger smoothed out by Greg Derr, gunsmith. Good luck, awesome gun!

I understand its no Glock but I feel optimistically cautious. Ive had apart lever actions,, revolvers, motorcycles, etc. Carefully, right?

yar, i didn't mean to crap on your purchase. they're GREAT guns. Probably the best 22 pistol out there. You don't really need to take them apart that much, which sort of leads to the confusion of how to put it back together. Just when you think you've mastered the reassembly process it's jammed six ways til Sunday on you.

Murphy's law would dictate you never disassemble it if you plan to shoot it in the next 8 hrs, else it won't go back together. likewise, don't ever take it apart at the range unless of course you live in Alaska and there's unlimited sunlight.

Got a MKiii target from the classifieds here last week. Took it to the range and it shot great but I felt half blind; I ordered firesights on Sat. Had a ton of fun stripping and cleaning though...

I saw that in a video but i didn't know it could go that badly! Thanks for the warning

The only time it gets that bad is when someone forces it closed with the strut out of place and then tries to rack the bolt like a gorilla when it doesn't want to move. Once you do that your screwed. I really have no idea how ruger gets them apart without destroying the frame. The upper on that gun is considered the firearm, since it has the serial number. So I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they just cut the frame off and reassemble with a new one.

Which brings me to one other thing of note. Ruger customer service is unmatched in the industry. They truely stand by their products and will jump through hoops just to make sure you are happy. Their reputation is well earned.

I have a Majestic arms take down kit on my MKII.Make's it so easy to take the pistol apart to clean.

Love mine... get a McFadden ezloader if you plan on getting extra mags, wish it worked on my 15-22.

Back
Top Bottom