• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just bought a Ruger MKiii

easy to breakdown people blow it out of proportion.

ditch the loaded chamber indicator, if the gun gets dirty enough it will start causing jams.

buy mags mags and more mags also the mcfadden is the best 20$ ive spent on the gun.

Congrats! I've looked for one of these at a few local shops but finally gave up. No luck. I've wanted one of these for a while. My father in law has an older one and its fun to shoot and dead on balls accurate.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

dang, I didn't even know those existed. I may have a couple of those in a much less organized format due to the fact I collected them over the last 5 years. Finding that today? Is it even a possibility?

I found one. I was giddy.
Dicks Sporting Goods in Plymouth, IIRC, a few weeks ago. They had five and sold out quick.

dang, I didn't even know those existed. I may have a couple of those in a much less organized format due to the fact I collected them over the last 5 years. Finding that today? Is it even a possibility?

Got those last week at Dick's. They had a lot more still left the next day. Get friendly with the hunting dept guy. [smile]

So, in youre opinion, is the trigger worth it? I've been eying them up. I also watched a few vids. One was a guy polishing all the surfaces. It dramatically changed the trigger pull. Started at 5.5 lb and ended up a 3.5lb

Like everything else in a tweakers life, get to know it before you upgrade it.
It was worth it to me, since I'm probably going to be joining my clubs gallery pistol team.

I will say that I was very disappointed with the interior finish quality of the circa 2005 MkIII stainless Hunter I bought used. When I pulled the parts out of the frame it looked like the frame piercings (pin holes mostly) had been deburred with a chainsaw. I spent four hours sanding, filing, and polishing.
After that effort, and installing the VQ Performance Kit, it has the cleanest break I've ever felt.
I'll be spending a night or two this week, and lots of this this weekend, test driving it.

easy to breakdown people blow it out of proportion.

ditch the loaded chamber indicator, if the gun gets dirty enough it will start causing jams.

buy mags mags and more mags also the mcfadden is the best 20$ ive spent on the gun.

i guess i'll have to open it up to see, but does it just come out? does it leave an open hole where it used to be? I'm not excited about it either...

i guess i'll have to open it up to see, but does it just come out? does it leave an open hole where it used to be? I'm not excited about it either...

Remove the barrel as documented, then find the small pin right beneath the loaded chamber indicator. Wiggle the LCI while worrying at the pin with a strong magnet, the pin should come out.
The LCI will come out of its' slot.
It will be multi-part, with a plastic and metal bit and two springs. The metal bit should come off of the plastic bit... Save the metal for later if ever you resell the gun, leave both springs in place, and put the plastic bit back into the barrel and replace the pin.

There are some well made metal inserts, to replace the plastic bit. Search around you can find them mail order on other forums.
Some prefer the color matched insert, some leave the LCI slot empty, some do not want the disabled LCI visible on their gun in the event that a third party believes the LCI to be enabled and effective (rather than doing the right thing, which is to check the chamber ALWAYS.)

What the f was Ruger thinking when they came up with this design? I suppose you guys warned me about disassembly. I got it back together but holy ****. It was a little nerve racking banging the barrel off then of course, banging it back on. Im thinking its going to be an every few thousand round thing from now on

What the f was Ruger thinking when they came up with this design? I suppose you guys warned me about disassembly. I got it back together but holy ****. It was a little nerve racking banging the barrel off then of course, banging it back on. Im thinking its going to be an every few thousand round thing from now on

Haha yeah it sucks the first couple times. I got a small piece of wood that I use to tap the barrel off with so I'm not dinging up the barrel. But when I'm putting the barrel back on, I just get the barrel on the frame and aligned up good then press the barrel against my workbench until it snaps into place rather than bang it back on with a hammer and piece of wood. I've even been able to take the barrel off just with my hand but that's after taking it apart a few times and lubed it nice to loosen up everything. This is all with the mark iii hunter with the long barrel so maybe it's different/harder on the shorter regular mark iii's. Believe me it will get easier, I didn't think that was possible but after a few times you'll get the hang of it.

Also I don't clean mine until the gun starts getting extracting issues (extractor gets gummed up with fouling) which seems to be maybe around 500 rounds or so with CCI SV ammo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom