• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just another example of how wonderful NICS is.

wheelgun

NES Member
It was a beautiful day today. I was at Four Seasons, having a great time. The place was busy, but Carl had at least 6-8 guys working the counters, and they did a great job. I spent some time handling a few guns, trying to make up my mind whether I really wanted to buy something today. I finally made the decision to buy, went over to the kiosk and filled in my information. I was all excited at the prospect of my new purchase. [grin]

Suddenly the roof caved in. [frown] One of the sales guys announced "The NICS system just went down, we're told it will be up again in 15 minutes." Well, 15 minutes went by.... nothing. 20 minutes... nothing. 30 minutes.... nothing. The guys tried to reach the FBI to get a status update, but the hold time to get through to THEM was 40 minutes. In an effort to test the system, the sales guy tried to enter my transaction - the response was "Delayed". Great, now I have a NICS "Delay" against me. I'm hoping it's just indicative that the system was down. At that point I decided to leave. Hopefully I'll be able to complete the transaction later next week.

One might think this was not an accident, that it's just another example of thinly veiled gun control. Everyone knows Saturday is a high volume day for retailers. What better way to hinder purchases than to take down NICS.

Sorry man, probably the gubbamint doing what it does best.

Having to get permission to buy a gun from the FBI sounds like a violation of the 2A.

We just need to keep an eye on the outages - see if this is 'Operation Chokepoint 2'.

Good luck, I should be posting my latest purchase this week.

Nics was down today for some emergency thing. We received an alert last night it would be down for an hour, and all ltc checks wouldn't be processed. If shops actually log into nics (I don't know if they do, or if they have a limited profile allowing them to run people only for ltc), then they received the message from the fbi. We got alerts from them all week regarding it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Suddenly the roof caved in. [frown] One of the sales guys announced "The NICS system just went down, we're told it will be up again in 15 minutes." Well, 15 minutes went by.... nothing. 20 minutes... nothing. 30 minutes.... nothing. The guys tried to reach the FBI to get a status update, but the hold time to get through to THEM was 40 minutes. In an effort to test the system, the sales guy tried to enter my transaction - the response was "Delayed". Great, now I have a NICS "Delay" against me.

Against you? LOL. They can administratively delay anyone. That's probably what that was about.

-Mike

Not all states require handgun sales go through a NICS checks because some in-state systems are NICS compliant, NC is one of them.
Mass however is not, it should be because we have MIRCS, but that would make things too convenient for gun owners in Mass.

Not all states require handgun sales go through a NICS checks because some in-state systems are NICS compliant, NC is one of them.
Mass however is not, it should be because we have MIRCS, but that would make things too convenient for gun owners in Mass.

MA could never be compliant because the licenses in MA don't meet federal bypass criteria anyways. It may have been possible back when they were 4 yr max but I think anything over 5 doesn't qualify. BATFE will not accept NICS bypass unless the state system is in 100% compliance.

-Mike

MA could never be compliant because the licenses in MA don't meet federal bypass criteria anyways. It may have been possible back when they were 4 yr max but I think anything over 5 doesn't qualify. BATFE will not accept NICS bypass unless the state system is in 100% compliance. -Mike

This...

I've been delayed everytime but one since NICS started. Big deal. You go back a week later to pick up your purchase. Stop thinking it's personal.

I've been delayed everytime but one since NICS started. Big deal. You go back a week later to pick up your purchase. Stop thinking it's personal.

No big deal if you have the extra time and accept that was not how the system was sold to everyone. You might argue that going back to pick up a weapon later is a form of waiting period.

I don't think that is acceptable. You sell a system to be "instant" and it should work that way...it gets personal when it doesn't work as advertised.

I also was delayed on every purchase and had to get a UPIN. That makes it a little personal for me.

Last edited:
MA could never be compliant because the licenses in MA don't meet federal bypass criteria anyways. It may have been possible back when they were 4 yr max but I think anything over 5 doesn't qualify. BATFE will not accept NICS bypass unless the state system is in 100% compliance.

-Mike

And don't expect this state to come into BATFE compliance in your grand childrens lifetime.

I don't think that is acceptable. You sell a system to be "instant" and it should work that way...it gets personal when it doesn't work as advertised.

Lissen, it's instant about 85% of the time, which is about the percentage of people that used to be happy with their healthcare.

Let's not ask the feds in this administration to fix problem, they may improve it by giving us our own access to an instant website... LOL

CT uses its own system. The ladies at DESPP run a NICS check then also run you against some state databases. You have to call in. They have an automated phone system, but it throws so many false "delays" or "Temporary Deny"s that its not even worth doing.

For most of the first half of 2013 it could take you 45 minutes to even get someone on the line. I sent screen scrapes from my cell phone showing almost 100 calls to the DESPP over the course of 45 minutes to the SLFU and they told me there was nothing they could do about it.

The larger shops like Hoffmans will just keep one person on the phone all day feeding the state PP numbers for approval.

Don

I can't help but wonder if someone is tracking the downtime for NICS. If not, someone should be. It would be interesting to see downtime graphed over a period of years to see if there is a trend.

Was working yesterday about 10:30AM - I got the latest rifle without a delay, the I was 'Instant' in my case (no SSN provided either).

S&W 15-22 Purple Platinum for my daughter (turning 7 next month). I just need to get some more magazines for her.

Mounted a Trijicon RX30 optic - this is a carbon copy of the setup my son (now 11) got when he was 7 (except for the purple).

I can't help but wonder if someone is tracking the downtime for NICS. If not, someone should be. It would be interesting to see downtime graphed over a period of years to see if there is a trend.

This may or may not show up in their operating report. Every year they keep stats on things like how many delays, how many denials, how many proceeds, how many delays that result in a proceed, etc... and even the stat that makes them look REALLY bad- how many denials that got overturned!

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom