Junior member thread???

In light of recent events, and in the interest of keeping things positive, I thought Id pose an idea that came to me while reading the forums. What about establishing a juniors only forum, where the under 18 shooters, (or aspiring shooters) could seek information, share it, and the people who so CHOSE to read the forums could offer it. Having been in forums before where the age lines crossed unintentionally and seeing sometimes the results no matter how innocent, it might be worth exploring. Have it be sort of a mentors board, where the neophyte, young man, boy aspiring could be guided by someone acustomed to dealing with this sort of situation ( I myself am not as it pertains to firearms).

Thoughts???

Not a bad idea - needs to really be brought up to Moderators and Derek as they will have the final say on any thing like this.

Like I said awhile ago, when we were in the "AGE" thread. I wish people would post their age in the "About me" section.

It does make a difference, though I would not segregate them from the main forum population.

Shooting has always been a sport that has been passed on from Father to son, and generation to generation. Now it's even Mother to son, Mother to Daughter, and Father to Daughter, which is cool. But I would hate to see this forum turn into the High Road or those places with all the Rambo's and know it alls. Being in a general forum helps police that I think, even if I came across too rough today.

Although a special forum for junior members would protect them from the kind of BS that sometimes becomes rampant here, it also allows them to exchange erroneous information, quite probably to their detriment and possibly endangering themselves. This is a sword with a wickedly sharp "other edge."

I don't think we need a playpen.

Let 'em grow up fast here with the general population. We just all have to remember to be patient with newbies of all ages.

Young girls hopefully are being encouraged to shoot also I would hope.

And guys, just watch your language a bit. Maybe we could restrict which forums they could participate in as some of the postings have gotten pretty raunchy in the past. At least to the eyes of this mom of a 10 year old boy.

Penny

Let 'em grow up fast here with the general population. We just all have to remember to be patient with newbies of all ages.

I agree with this. Rules of decorum here should be that even a tweenie can participate in the forum and their mom won't be aghast, sans a few off color words. In fact, yesterday's thread about the steak house would have been right up a 14 yro alley...[laugh] But I see no reason to segregate them.

Young girls hopefully are being encouraged to shoot also I would hope.

And guys, just watch your language a bit. Maybe we could restrict which forums they could participate in as some of the postings have gotten pretty raunchy in the past. At least to the eyes of this mom of a 10 year old boy.

Penny

Penny,

to tell you the truth I'd like to restrict myself from seeing some of the things that underage message board users have put up on the internet. The adults are the the least of your worries.

*unless i missed something recently, you have to be 18 to register for most online thingy's... e-mail, AOL ect... i don't think i provided proof of age for here, but i went green using pay pal.... i had a credit card back in the 90's before i turned 18, so i guess it may be possible for minors to join here as well.

so IMO, i agree with Eddie Coyle - my only reservation is that the parent may try and do something stupid for some type of "pro-gun" (or) "anti-gun" BS enticement or something...

Penny,

to tell you the truth I'd like to restrict myself from seeing some of the things that underage message board users have put up on the internet. The adults are the the least of your worries.

yeah no kidding. this is the most tame forum ive ever seen, ever.
if you think were bad here, you should see what 12-15 year old people post on other forums.

Im sorry if i hinted at something like this was an inappropriate board... quite the contrary.. I think its an incredible place to get information that young adults and not so much adults would be looking for. I only suggested the idea of the teen forum so that it would be known to all who talk there that the posters might be somewhat... lacking the wisdom of ages ??? Perhaps there are other methods for mentoring the up and coming shooters.

Just a thought, nothing meant offensive by it to either age group... and since im in the middle ages myself (36) I took no offense :eek:)

hey! haha
i started using the web when i was 15, so i have seen what the youngin's are getting into back in the day.

[laugh] if you say so.

all joking aside...

jr. memebers? probably NOT for me (IMO) unless the parents vouched first. too much liability in these troubled times...

jay_chris, we have minor members here now. At least some of them aren't 21. Most of them have been fairly decent.

It's the ones who pretend they are something they're not you have to worry about, and I don't think parental permission will fix that.

This reminds me of the kid here who wanted to buy ammo online and requested that people here PM sources so he could keep a list.People actually sent him sources,basically justifying the WHOLE reason we have the online ammo shit we deal with now.

Kids need to learn about guns from their parents,not the f'n internet.

Depicts and Greg

I agree 100%

Depicts: my ref. to minors was regarding folks under 18, NOT 21 though.

-yet, I'm still on the fence on the whole idea

(insert Obama quote here______________________) j/k

+1

I mentioned over in the Members Forum that as much as there are young poster who give me pause - there are also young posters who give me hope. I have run into a few of them at the gun counter at DSG in Pittsfield. So far, they have been polite, respectful and inquisitive. I have encouraged them to come here and learn more - not to segregate themselves into a tweenie forum. There's much to be learned on the plus and negative side right here in gen-pop and I look forward to helping to educate young shooters as much as possible - like it or not, they are the future and NES is a great place for them to learn and grow. The asshats will ultimately weed themselves out - much as their older contemporaries ultimately do...

I am 14 and I see no need for a special forum, I fit in pretty good here . I have been here for quite a while and I never really got myself into trouble. As far as the parental permission goes whats to keep someone from lying about there age. I say leave everything as it is. And dont block younger members from certain forums I have never seen this place get real bad I mean sure we all swear but you can hear a lot worth at home depot.

I don't see the need, some people just need to be a bit more civil here. The problem isn't the young people, its just a lack of patience from some of the older members. Some of it is just harmless ribbing of course!

Thanks EddieCoyle, your's is the first post I've actually been able to read on this forum!

Your browser should let you adjust font sizes. In Firefox 3, click: Tools->Options, select the content tab, click advanced in the font section, change the dropdown for 'minimum font size' to a comfortable size, and click OK twice.

Depicts - I just made the change and added my age. It's not something I normally add, but I figure with the recent thread about the dog, there's probably enough info for some people to piece together who I am anyway.

Jay_Chris - I believe that there is no minimum requirement to participate in something online (excepting for nudie sites), as long as there is parental consent, and the provider stores no personal information for under-13 or under-14 users (don't remember the age, although IIRC, it's laid out in COPA). For 13+ (or 14+?), certain data may be stored, again w/ parental consent. It's voluntary compliance on the kids' part, for the most part, although administrators are supposed to have a basic idea of what's going on with their systems.

EddieCoyle, re: big fonts... :: snort :: [rofl]

Depicts - I just made the change and added my age. It's not something I normally add, but I figure with the recent thread about the dog, there's probably enough info for some people to piece together who I am anyway.

Metalgod, well I don't have a clue who you are, though some might.

As it is, a lot of us posted in the age thread how old we are. I'm 58, and so what??? It is what it is, whether 13 or horrendously old, like LenS, One Eyed Jack or Pilgrim!!! LOLOL[smile][rofl][laugh2]

Back
Top Bottom