• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

J-Frame or Kahr PM9 ????

I've been away, on vacation for a week and haven't kept up with this thread.

Stoney Pete, sorry I couldn't answer sooner.

I have the Mika holsters, all square and round cut for the PM9 and for my J Frames like my 442 or 640.

I like the Mika holster with my PM9 for the most part, but again, there are times I've found the DeSantis the right holster for that days dress. I also use a Milt Sparks IWB with the PM9 on my off side, and it's iike the gun isn't even there.

Most used are the Mike square cut holsters, for around $20 and shipping. Great value.

If you want to compare them both side-by-side, come to the GOAL Shoot-B-Q. I'll have both of them there, and plenty of ammo.

I love my PM9 after the first 250 or so rounds it broke-in good. I am surprised how accurate it is for such a small gun. I sold my J frame after I got it broke in I liked it so much.

S&W makes a model of 442 and 642 that don't have the lock.

The older "pre-lock" models don't have them, and they recently made a short run of new production "no lock" snubs, but for the most part, any new S&W revolver will have one of them.

The Kahr rusts easily?? I thought it was stainless.

I'm biased (I make Glocks rust), but FWIW, it took me about a month to put rust on a S&W J frame, and less than 12 hours to put rust on a Kahr, when my only contact with the slide was racking it twice, and I made sure to wipe it down after too. I believe it's because the stainless finish on the Kahr is flat and not glossy, if that makes sense. In my experience, when it comes to handguns, only parkerized Sig's and stainless Colt's are more prone to rust than a stainless Kahr, and in that order.

DickWanner tells people that I can make aluminum rust. [laugh]

The Kahr rusts easily?? I thought it was stainless.

It is though some stainless alloys will rust in harsh conditions (sweat). I doubt it rusts anymore than any other bare stainless gun.

Mine is the black one with is coated with DLC (very nice) and I haven't had any issues.

i will stay with my j frame, in a pinch i think you'll find a revolver will perform
way above a bottom feeder, a revolver does no jam, if it misfires just keep going.

its easy to reload. its a personal preference, but i think reliability is much better
the the revolver.

I had a lousy time with Kahr 7-round magazines this past weekend... the top rounds kept squirting out as I handled them (pulling them out of the mag holder, trying to insert them, etc.) during the Intro to IDPA course... anyone else had similar issues? Any suggestions?

I never had an FTE, and only 1 FTF in over 150 fast-paced rounds sent down-range. The FTF was the first round out of the magazine, and I didn't have the magazine fully seated (the round in the chamber fired and ejected).

The older "pre-lock" models don't have them, and they recently made a short run of new production "no lock" snubs, but for the most part, any new S&W revolver will have one of them.

There's been more than one run of these. S+W has probably done several by now, as I see the 642 no-locks showing up on the market from time to time.

I really wish S+W would get a clue and remove them from all their revolvers. They would sell a lot more firearms as a result.

-Mike

I have had both, the S&W feels better in the waistband to me, the muzzle being much thinner.
I don't carry either the 642 or PM9 in a waistband holster. Both are purely pocket guns for me. If I'm going to carry a gun in a hip holster, I can carry something much larger and easier to shoot than my PM9 or 642.

How does the pm9 compare in size to a g26? I figure the pm9 is thinner right off the bat because of single stack vs double stack.

How does the pm9 compare in size to a g26? I figure the pm9 is thinner right off the bat because of single stack vs double stack.
It is much thinner. The PM9 fits in the front pocket of my pants quite easily. A Glock 26/27 is simply far too thick to fit in my pants pockets.

I'm biased (I make Glocks rust), but FWIW, it took me about a month to put rust on a S&W J frame, and less than 12 hours to put rust on a Kahr, when my only contact with the slide was racking it twice, and I made sure to wipe it down after too. I believe it's because the stainless finish on the Kahr is flat and not glossy, if that makes sense. In my experience, when it comes to handguns, only parkerized Sig's and stainless Colt's are more prone to rust than a stainless Kahr, and in that order.

DickWanner tells people that I can make aluminum rust. [laugh]

His superpower is metal oxidation. Seriously [wink]

From a crime fighting perspective, that seems about as useful as being able to command sea creatures.
Well, if this was the sea creature in question:

15358540.jpg

i will stay with my j frame, in a pinch i think you'll find a revolver will perform
way above a bottom feeder, a revolver does no jam, if it misfires just keep going.

its easy to reload. its a personal preference, but i think reliability is much better
the the revolver.

But when a revolver fails, it fails. It's also a nightmare when they come up with timing problems or lock up in other ways.

GSG must be some kind of superhero (supervillain?) whose power is super acidic rust causing sweat! [rofl]

[laugh]. Dealing with it is maddening, there's a huge number of guns/knives I'll never be able to own.

I had a lousy time with Kahr 7-round magazines this past weekend... the top rounds kept squirting out as I handled them (pulling them out of the mag holder, trying to insert them, etc.) during the Intro to IDPA course... anyone else had similar issues? Any suggestions?

That's common with some of their mags for some reason. Do what M1911 said and call them up, they should replace them with ones that won't have that problem.

There's been more than one run of these. S+W has probably done several by now, as I see the 642 no-locks showing up on the market from time to time.

But they're not readily available to buy NIB, is all.

From a crime fighting perspective, that seems about as useful as being able to command sea creatures.

Great, so now I'm on the same level as Mystery Men. [laugh]

The pm9 is the new gun on the block, so to speak. Since it's new to MA it's every ones favorite. They seem to have a more complicated manual of arms ( see below), which will be trouble If your ever in a situation. I vote for the j frame.

This would bother me:
Kahr does mandate that you load the first round using the slide release lever, for this reason. You hope that you will be at slide lock if you run your pistol dry - but in a fight, weird things happen, and it's possible to bump the slide and have it close on you. In that case, reloading your PM9 (from a closed slide) can be problematic.

Back
Top Bottom