It's not GOAL's fault (Response to STOP ERPO TODAY!!! Thread)

It's pathetic that there are nearly half a million gun owners in this state and we don't even have 5% representation in GOAL.

Estimates place the US as having c. 120M gun owners, and the NRA has 5M+ members. That's about the same 5%. Why are you so surprised/disappointed?

NRA has 5-6 million members and in polls ~20+ million people consider themselves members. Given that so many people are cheap and maybe pay for a single year membership, odds are most people join once for a year and then consider themselves "members" for life. Kind of like NES.......

LOL I've not seen that since MichealJR jerked us all around with that Quentin Defense lower group buy.

I'll never forget it... I was sitting at Tobacco Haven in NH smoking a cigar when my f***ing cell phone exploded because of that guy. Like rando people started calling me from the forum wanting to form a posse or something and get their money back.... [laugh] He was quite obviously in way over his head.

-Mike

Calling state reps is a waste of time at this point.
Talking to a co-worker the other day, he knows I own guns. Subject of registration came up, he said it good they know who has what (im paraphrasing). I asked why and pointed out that good guys register but theyre not causing the problems and bad guys are causing the problems but dont register. Whats being accomplished? He kind of sat there for a second and then chuckled and said "...yeah, youre right." Thats worth a dozen phone calls to some closet communist state reps office, answered by an Antifa sympathizing twenty-something who is rolling his eyes and giggling the whole time.
Next time, you could also tell him that because of the climate on this state, more and more "good guys" aren't registering their guns either.

Next time, you could also tell him that because of the climate on this state, more and more "good guys" aren't registering their guns either.

That’ll go over well when they then decide to start knocking on doors to check all licensed personnel for compliance.

In another thread an NES member expressed dissatisfaction with GOAL's efforts to stop ERPO. Hard to blame GOAL for the failure to stop passage of the ERPO bill. I didn't agree with their strategy of tying to stop passage of this bill by labeling it "cruel" and "dangerous". Not an effective approach. They would have been better off taking the RI approach of limiting the people authorized to submit ERPO petition to LEO's and mental health professionals. Too late now. Credit to Jim W. for hanging in there. MA statehouse not a receptive environment.

But basically the bill passed due to complete lack of interest from firearm owners. Review some of the recent NES threads and you can deterrmine what interests firearms owners:
Thread on which truck to buy, 98 replies, 933 views,
Thread on boycotting BOA, 83 replies, 1753 views,
Thread on AG v. Exxon, 32 views, 2852 views,
Thread on Syria, 107 replies, 1105 views,
*Thread on ERPO, 39 replies, 1512 views*****

It's clear that NES members are more interested in Trumps Border Wall (71/974) and if grapes are toxic to dogs (64/989)
MVGC passed on the GOAL alert, Andover did not. Wonder which clubs followed Andover's apathetic response.
At this point I see no point in investing any more of my time on 2A issues with such a clear lack of support from NES members.
It's simply not a productive use of my time.

Not sure if serious, many people here likely called or fired off communication to their rep/senator etc the first they heard of it... doesn't mean it was going to
amount to a hill of beans. Problem is this ERPO bullshit is precisely the type of garbage that an MA wobbly voter douchebag type would fall for, because its difficult to get to the "why does this bill suck" part when every moron sheep is fawning over "well that sounds reasonable if you can get someones guns taken away for being a wackjjob or acting suicidal, etc. " Imagine a kravitz or a joe derpface type braying that, and the problem becomes obvious. It's very difficult to get people to understand the modalities by where ERPO can be weaponized and used as a form of extrajudicial punishment (with minimal or nonexistant due process) against people in some kind of dispute, etc.

Another problem, and this is hardly GOAL's, or NES's fault, but a lot of MA gun owners just don't give a shit anymore. They've thrown their hands up in the
air after 7/20 and they're pretty much like "f*** it, the whole system is rigged in this shithole, why bother?" I understand the temptation, but we gotta move beyond that somehow. Also, whose to know if Jim didn't try to get them exactly what you suggested, but that wasn't even on the table? Most of us here aren't privy to what goes on inside the secret golden dome building. If whatever committee this went in had a stacked deck against us, it wouldn't have mattered much
anyways. It would appear that on its face, they used a lesser known moonbat to introduce it instead of using Linstain, who people reflexively vote no
against...

-Mike

That’ll go over well when they then decide to start knocking on doors to check all licensed personnel for compliance.

Unless the legiscritters change MGL to reflect this (to make MA a pure compulsory registration state like NY? not sure which ones are left, I know MI did it for handguns at one point) possessing an unregistered firearm in MA is not prima facie evidence of any kind of a crime having occurred. Of course I'm sure the commies wont overlook that and will mutilate the law to suit their whims, but I'm not going to be hanging around to watch that down the road, hopefully.

-Mike

In another thread an NES member expressed dissatisfaction with GOAL's efforts to stop ERPO. Hard to blame GOAL for the failure to stop passage of the ERPO bill. I didn't agree with their strategy of tying to stop passage of this bill by labeling it "cruel" and "dangerous". Not an effective approach. They would have been better off taking the RI approach of limiting the people authorized to submit ERPO petition to LEO's and mental health professionals. Too late now. Credit to Jim W. for hanging in there. MA statehouse not a receptive environment.

But basically the bill passed due to complete lack of interest from firearm owners. ...
(snip of a bunch of words conflating NES with all of Massachusetts firearms owners).

So, other than the "Friday News" email from GOAL, how would MA firearms owners even KNOW about this? Many/most don't check email daily. I've said it before, and will say it again, a PHONE CALL is the way to do this. I've worked the phone banks at GOAL before. Nowadays, there is computerized software and subscription services to do this function, probably much MUCH quicker and more effectively (recalls for busy signals, etc.), and prices are getting more reasonable. Plus, as the MA affiliate of NRA, they should request some financial assistance with this.

I think some people believe its GOALS job to have a event coordinator/cheerleader on staff to rally the troops and quite simply that's not really what they're about.

Personally, I think there's enough call that maybe GOAL should have a division set to coordinate events and gatherings with some regularity. There seems to be nobody taking the activist reins and that honestly is one of our biggest problems. The other problem is that when someone does take those reins either the message is off topic or so poorly executed you end up with four old guys and a Gaston flag bitching about chemtrail mixture on the sidewalk. Because nobody could take it seriously enough to do anything but armchair quarterback.

I think GOAL needs someone to coordinate all the gun clubs and gun shops, and make sure they are up to speed on things. There needs to be a distributed network to get the word out.

Our club meeting is tonight. What do I tell them? It has to be in a very brief format, and have actionable items to go with it.

... a lot of MA gun owners just don't give a shit anymore. ..

I know one, and have heard that MANY/MOST Massachusetts Senators and Representatives who were formerly friendly, are now ticked at GOAL for the poor guidance and change of course on the bump stock bill. This turned the tide, and it will take a lot to turn it back.

... a lot of MA gun owners just don't give a shit anymore. They've thrown their hands up in the
air after 7/20 and they're pretty much like "f*** it, the whole system is rigged in this shithole, why bother?" I understand the temptation, but we gotta move beyond that somehow. Also, whose to know if Jim didn't try to get them exactly what you suggested, but that wasn't even on the table? Most of us here aren't privy to what goes on inside the secret golden dome building. If whatever committee this went in had a stacked deck against us, it wouldn't have mattered much
anyways. It would appear that on its face, they used a lesser known moonbat to introduce it instead of using Linstain, who people reflexively vote no
against...

What committee? Moore is chair of the Public Safety Committee. I've been told by club leadership and GOAL that he is solidly on our side, and to give him all the support we can. I don't recall him sticking his neck out while at Beacon Hill for us. I also recall MANY meetings and hearings where he has walked out right after the introductions, and back in again at the end for wrap-up. Something with that does not sit well at all with me.

Last edited:
Unless the legiscritters change MGL to reflect this (to make MA a pure compulsory registration state like NY? not sure which ones are left, I know MI did it for handguns at one point) possessing an unregistered firearm in MA is not prima facie evidence of any kind of a crime having occurred. Of course I'm sure the commies wont overlook that and will mutilate the law to suit their whims, but I'm not going to be hanging around to watch that down the road, hopefully.

-Mike

Understood and agree, then again on 7/19 we were all good to go too until you know who woke up the next day on the wrong side of the bed.

So, other than the "Friday News" email from GOAL, how would MA firearms owners even KNOW about this? Many/most don't check email daily. I've said it before, and will say it again, a PHONE CALL is the way to do this. I've worked the phone banks at GOAL before. Nowadays, there is computerized software and subscription services to do this function, probably much MUCH quicker and more effectively (recalls for busy signals, etc.), and prices are getting more reasonable. Plus, as the MA affiliate of NRA, they should request some financial assistance with this.

I think GOAL needs someone to coordinate all the gun clubs and gun shops, and make sure they are up to speed on things. There needs to be a distributed network to get the word out.

Our club meeting is tonight. What do I tell them? It has to be in a very brief format, and have actionable items to go with it.

I think there is a spectrum of how to best contact/mobilize people on an issue and a phone call isn't the answer in all cases. I got the email about it from GOAL, if they were blowing up my phone about it also it wouldn't have changed anything. The second thing I would have done is go find out how to take my number off their call sheet because I have a personal preference for Email or Text over a phone call. (Its rudimentary contact info/preference management, I assume the hierarchy would be in any contact system)

Your point about coordinating with gun clubs and gun shops to create a robust and informed "friendly face" network on feeding contacts to GOAL is the critical one I think.

he made a comment about requiring all club members to be Goal members. I would support that.
My club requires this as well. Also require NRA membership for the first year. I honestly think they should add a Comm2A requirement too.

Understood and agree, then again on 7/19 we were all good to go too until you know who woke up the next day on the wrong side of the bed.

True, but that's gnomish mysticism based on the AG's spew, not necessarily the law. We still haven't crossed that BIG gap where the AG somehow convinces a DA or a LEO to enforce something based off her interpretation. I am betting that in most cases, either party wants to get involved with that...

-Mike

We all know that the reason the founders created the 2nd. was because they knew tyrannical leaders would always be waiting to control. In Ma. this is much further along than many other states. Trying to change it is very difficult because of years of conditioning the sheep. The sheep don't have any interest in guns and think of them as a danger and not the teeth of freedom. The only thing that can be done short of "go time" is to change the mindset of any and all who are open to change. You better be young because it will take a long, long time. Start them young and teach them well. As I often say it is on you young fellows as we older guys will be too old or dead by the time the shit really hits the fan. You will not change but a few politicians to our side as they are in a "go along to get along" business and will follow the pack as wolves do. NH as an example has a small population as compared to Ma. and a couple or three thousand votes can have an impact, not so much in a state with 5 or 6 times the population. You won't get the fudds fired up either and there goes many more supporters of the cause.

People who leave the state are often called sellouts and accused of running from the fray from a vocal few on this board. Many of us are older and have been fighting against the corruption in that state in all it's forms longer than many of you have been alive. Knock it off, we did our best and decided we would drink from the well in a (for now at least) free state and no I don't think we are a heartbeat away from being mass. I remember when Ma. and NH were only distinguishable by a sign that said entering or leaving NH/MA before the warning signs. Rallies, phone calls to pols, gnashing of teeth and stomping of feet and insulting those who GTFO will accomplish nothing period. You need to change minds and it is tough to teach old dogs new tricks so start them young. Start with your own kids. Then include their friends and their friends parents. If the parents are against it them move on as they are lost to the other side. Like I have said many times before and this is the last time I will ever say it here, If you put anything ahead of your freedoms, that is your choice and it is on you, not me or any like me who moved on to greener pastures. So as my dear departed mother used to say "either shit or get off the pot". We would welcome you all to NH just leave the whining at the border. The only wine up here is served with cheese and remember it's not all about how much money you have it's about how much time you have and time cannot be earned or saved so use it well my friends, you will never know how much you have. The speech has now ended so go in peace lol.

You can call politicians, you can boycott retailers, you can jump up and down in the street with a picket sign. None of that will do anything. The politicians in office in this State were voted in by and for people who believe in gun control. The only way to stop this is at the voting booths by campaigning for pro-gun politicians and change the voters minds (best way) and challenging draconian laws in federal court and appeal to the USA as a whole.

Unfortunately most of your fellow citizens are happy to have given up any desire to be able to defend themselves. It's not the politicians fault. It's our neighbors, our friends, our families fault.

Exactly - what gives the NRA it's influence ? It's not the name, it's the membership numbers (and we vote). Last week Jim was at Andover Sportsmen's Club and he made a comment about requiring all club members to be Goal members. I would support that.

Strange - some people at SOME clubs get pissy about that. ????? I used to like the GOAL-100 listings. Of course, putting my money where my mouth is, I probably should get my wife a membership. I'm less worried about #'s and more worried about $ on the national (NRA) side. But on the local, I should be pushing more of my $ to GOAL memberships.

Some talk at the club meeting last night about ERPO.

Was this a done deal as of last Friday, or what?

Members of the board basically agreed we need to get word out to all membership, and quicker. As newsletter person, I am willing to comply, but want to make sure to not bury them to the point of ignoring it. Is there actually any clear message at this point?

Is there actually any clear message at this point?

Yes and no. It was reporting favorably out of committee with some changes and now goes into the "reading" or enactment process. Usually just a formality but amendments are possible. Hoping GOAL will provide specifics on the changes and recommendations but nothing on their web site yet.

If we could get "family members" out of the bill and substitute "law enforcement officers and mental health professionals" as allowed petitioners as RI did we could live with the bill. As written??? Don't ever piss off your wife or girl friend.

Last edited:
Some talk at the club meeting last night about ERPO.

Members of the board basically agreed we need to get word out to all membership, and quicker. As newsletter person, I am willing to comply, but want to make sure to not bury them to the point of ignoring it. Is there actually any clear message at this point?

Out of curiosity, how many people were at your club meeting? How robust is your clubs email list? Does your club email it's members, if so, what is the open rate?

Yes and no. It was reporting favorably out of committee with some changes and now goes into the "reading" or enactment process. Usually just a formality but amendments are possible. Hoping GOAL will provide specifics on the changes and recommendations but nothing on their web site yet.

If we could get "family members" out of the bill and substitute "law enforcement officers and mental health professionals" as allowed petitioners as RI did we could live with the bill. As written??? Don't ever piss off your wife or girl friend.

House is going to be working on the budget so it could be a couple of weeks before H3610 is even voted on. Talked with my Rep today about pushing for some changes on this turd of a bill. After it passes the House then the Senate will also have a chance to make changes also. My Senator is away this week but will be contacting him next week.

Back
Top Bottom