"It came with the gun..."

So is it possible to buy NEW high capacity mags in other states? Is Mass the only one with this stupid ban?

Anyone have the link to the actual law/ban from the state?
Thanks

So is it possible to buy NEW high capacity mags in other states? Is Mass the only one with this stupid ban?

Anyone have the link to the actual law/ban from the state?
Thanks
NY has a very similar ban (ie, virtual restatement of hte federal law).

MD is limited to 20 rounds.

NJ is limited to 15.

HI is 10 rounds, no grandfathering.

CA is 10 rounds, grandfathered ONLY if one PERSONALLY owned the > 10 round mag IN CA prior to the Caliban. Although they have an exemption allowing visitors to shoot matches with banned rifles, this exemption does not cover the magazines as they are banned by a separate law without such a clause. Also, CA has a history of agressively prosecuting technical violations.

FYI- the fact that some of the floorplates have a date code doesn't mean anything either-it's only the mag tube/body that matters. You can buy new floorplates, followers, springs, etc for the older preban mags and be perfectly legal in MA- I've done this and Sig Arms will ship them.

The reality is that "most" of the post ban hi cap Sigs have LEO markings only... they even kept LEO markings for a while after the ban. I think Sig changed manufacturer for many of the P series guns recently as well.

But the bottom line is I don't think there are any definitive ways to determine whether they are REALLY preban. I have a bunch but often wonder how I cold prove they are preban as well.

Wrt the 229 mags- I was told they did make some preban mags that were marked .40/.357 albeit for a very short time.

To Blackdeek, change your User CP settings to see ALL THREADS. Then do some Advanced Search in Gun Laws forum. We've covered this turf more times than I can count and there is a lot of good info there.

To all:

Fed Law ALLOWED for repair of banned mags, but MGLs is MUTE on this point . . . thus bottom line could well be that you end up defending yourself in a court of law about the "replacements" that you did. I would NOT bet that you'd win with the activist, anti-gun judicial establishment in place in MA.

We may not like BATFE, but they DO have a Technical Branch with people who understand firearms and will evaluate requests for procedures on how to repair banned items, etc. In MA, we have a CPA at CHSB who answers legal questions, has no idea about guns, etc. Do you start to see the difference now?

And was made prior to the AWB. A high cap magazine not having the LEO/Military stamp could have been made this morning and is illegal in this state if held by a non LEO/Military or FFL.

It's a VERY good chance that any mag only marked with ".40" is
preban, because after .357 Sig came out, the mags were marked ".40/.357" on them instead.

The ones that I have are phosphated (or similar type finish) and also have
the sauer logo on the back in the lower left corner. No other markings
are present, other than the witness hole numbers. They just say
"SigSauer P229" and then ".40" on the side. I know those particular
mags marked as such are preban because I bought them from a reliable
source before the ban ended, and the chances of them being posties
is pretty low.

-Mike

For everyone's benefit, this is pure BS and an unquestionable violation that could lead to 5-10 years jail term.

Add to the wish list for GOAL in 2006/2007 to fix this.

So what's the verdict? Just buy UNMARKED, no date stamped high caps SIG or aftermarket and be happy (excluding P226 in .40/.357)?

You would think dealers would be making deals for out of MA people where they give them BRAND NEW high capacity magazines in trade for old ones. Then take the old ones and sell them to the poor MA bastages at a profit. I'd bet a lot of out of MA people would take a new one in even trade for a tired old one.

Last edited:
Information From Goal

I was just reviewing some information on the GOAL website (link below) and it seems that if a friend or relative out of state owns a firearm that is not on the roster (Kimber, H&K, etc), they can perform an individual sale to a Mass individual and the new Owner would be allowed to carry (with their CCW) said firearm without getting in trouble. Is that a correct assumption?

Also, though firearm sales out of state are required to be sent to a Mass dealer where the transaction takes place, is this also required for the magazines? Essentially i'm try to determine if i buy a new P229 (as mentioned in my previous post) can i go to NH to buy a new high cap mag or do i have to search for a preban one that is either used or sitting on a shelf somewhere?

What about internet sales? Can a new high cap be purchased that way?

thanks all, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or if i'm totally misunderstanding the preban/ban law.

http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/handgunsales.html

Massachusetts residents that are Class "A" holders can legally only be in possession of high cap magazines (hold more then 10 rnds) if they were made prior to the AWB 9-13-1994.

ETA; Pre-ban magazines could have existed anywhere in the universe as long as they are made before the magic date.

Last edited:
Essentially i'm try to determine if i buy a new P229 (as mentioned in my previous post) can i go to NH to buy a new high cap mag or do i have to search for a preban one that is either used or sitting on a shelf somewhere?
If you purchase a standard capacity magazine that is not a preban and you bring it into MA, then you are committing a felony. You have to look for preban magazines. Most internet retailers will not ship standard capacity magazines to MA, whether pre-ban, post-ban, or no-ban.

Blackdeek2006, all of this information is in the forum. I suggest you browse around. I am sure you'll find much additional information about MA gun laws.

I was just reviewing some information on the GOAL website (link below) and it seems that if a friend or relative out of state owns a firearm that is not on the roster (Kimber, H&K, etc), they can perform an individual sale to a Mass individual and the new Owner would be allowed to carry (with their CCW) said firearm without getting in trouble. Is that a correct assumption?
Your relative or friend must move here with those "unapproved" handguns to privately sell them to you or you go to jail (Federal). And for them to be transfered via an FFL they have to be on the list.

Blackdeek, PLEASE do some research here, before you get yourself in deep legal trouble. [NOTE: My use of CAPS here are not an admonition to you, just that this stuff is VERY important and to bring emphasis to it.]

Here's the only thing relevant that I could find on your cited GOAL page, and I have NO IDEA where you got the idea that sales across state lines to relatives are legal!

Can I Bypass the Regulations and Standards in the Law by Buying a Handguns From a Dealer in Another State?

By federal law, a dealer from another state may not sell you a handgun directly, he must ship the handgun to a dealer in your state, where the transfer takes place. This means the gun must still comply with the Attorney General’s standards, and the standards in the law.

The above is because FED LAW PROHIBITS sales of handguns by anyone except if both parties live in the same state at the time of the sale. Likewise you can ONLY buy a handgun from an FFL in the state you live in. Nothing to do with MA laws or AG Regs, this one "gets you" before you can get off the starting gate.

Magazines:

ALL HI-CAPS MUST have been MFD before 9/13/94 in order for them to be in possession by ANYONE (even if non-resident) in MA (other than FFL for sales) that isn't LEO.

Some mags are easy to tell pre-ban from MA-banned, others are difficult and some are damn near impossible. BUT the responsibility is YOURS to determine that what you have is legal to avoid having to prove it in court to an unfriendly judge/scared of guns jury!

So, yes you can buy hi-caps anywhere but if you bring them back across the MA State Line you are facing 5-10 year felony convictions for each magazine you possess. What you do is up to you, but this is the law.

All the legal cites are here on this site if you just do some searching of prior posts with Advanced Search.

There is no easy way around the roster. What you are proposing above would be a federal felony.

LenS,

Sorry, I'll do more digging around as much as possible. I sincerely apologize for wasting everyone's time. Its sometimes difficult to find exactly what it is you're looking for and i'm very new to the firearm scene.

It seems that (and I would think that many people agree with me, I hope) the Federal and Local laws are somewhat convoluted and its unfortunate that carrying a firearm isnt a Federally regulated process. (Is that someting that they're trying for?) Again, sorry for requesting the same info over and over, i just want to be careful about what i do so i dont get in trouble. I misread the goal paragraph you referenced above to understand that individual sales were ok. i was unaware of the Fed Law. (dang, i gotta do more reading, is there a handbook or something). Thanks for being so patient.

Perhaps i should have just looked or posted under the Firearms, Equipment, and Ammo section to see if anyone was selling a pre ban high cap mag for the Sig 229R. One last thing then i'm shutting up; are preban high cap mags easy or hard to find?

Last edited:
One last thing then i'm shutting up; are preban high cap mags easy or hard to find?
Depends upon the gun. Prebans are easy to find for AR15s and AKs. Not easy to find for Glock 23s. Dunno about Sig 229s.

Don't apologize. Just learn to use the tools here to find info and ask what you still don't find.

There is one book on MA law, but it really doesn't cover Fed law. "Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law" by Chief Ron Glidden. Cost is ~$45 from MPI (run by the anti-gun Mass Chiefs of Police Assn) so it is on their website with ordering info. Doing a search here will give more info and website to order it. It's the best on MA gun laws and used to educate LEOs on the MA laws.

Yes, MA law and Fed law are different and sometimes at odds with each other . . . but the strictest reading prevails.

Back
Top Bottom