Is S&W going 10mm?

So, not being a McSmartypants, but besides those that just want a new range toy, who would be the target audience for it?

I can't shake the memories of the FBI's mistake with the 10mm, and the 9mm has really come into it's own these days, as far as service weapons go. And, I can't imagine any self respecting hog hunter hunting with an M&P.
The same people in love with .357 Sig and 5.7mm (in anything other than a FN P90)

I’m really good with buying any new guns, in new calibers… But I will absolutely grab my wallet for a M&P in 10mm. I have waited a good while for a 10mm poly pistol that wasn’t either Springfield Armory garbage or has the ergonomics of a cinder block. (Cinder glock?)

good luck with ammo availability unless you reload.

production lines are focused on the most popular calibers right now.

They are not going to swap a line over, or a component line, to make ammo for a limited market unless it is a military / government contract.

It is going to be years before the ammo supply chain normalizes.

I’d rather have a tanfoglio. And even they have had a plastic 10 out for a number of years (in addition to the metal witness). I just don’t see a market for an M&P Tupperware 10. 10mm folks tend to like match quality pistols or they just buy a G20/29. As to Springfield, they already went down the Omega path years ago. Thought they would have learned.

Last edited:

They are not going to swap a line over, or a component line, to make ammo for a limited market unless it is a military / government contract.

There’s plenty of 10mm available, the price is still shit though. It hasn’t come off the peak price yet where 9mm has come down a bit.

TSUSA has had 10mm in stock consistently for over a month now.
.74cpr is still up there, but it’s easier to find than .357, and cheaper to boot.

My silly arse is trying to find .327 Federal Magnum, now that’s a caliber you need good luck finding at this point.

Eh. I enjoy their 1911s much more then their M&Ps. Always disliked that platform for some reason.
10mm 1911s are a saturation market though. Even krapber doesn’t make them all the time because the demand is too low. And smith coming into that space adds nothing unless they’re making an e series or a PC 10mm.

The only cost cutting that will happen will be when S&W drops this line in a couple years after the initial new gun euphoria wears thin fast.

I just don’t see a market for an M&P Tupperware 10. 10mm folks tend to like match quality pistols or they just buy a G20/29.
Well yeah, because the G20 and G29 were really the only options for good quality striker fired 10mm. There are plenty of people who prefer M&Ps over Glocks and will get this over the G20/29. And smartly, S&W is offering a “compact” G19 sized model that fits right between the G20 and G29. So they should be able to grab some of the market who doesn’t care if it’s either brand but wants a compact form factor rather than full or subcompact.

Well yeah, because the G20 and G29 were really the only options for good quality striker fired 10mm. There are plenty of people who prefer M&Ps over Glocks and will get this over the G20/29. And smartly, S&W is offering a “compact” G19 sized model that fits right between the G20 and G29. So they should be able to grab some of the market who doesn’t care if it’s either brand but wants a compact form factor rather than full or subcompact.
Agreed. But it will be a tiny market share and hardly worth the effort IMO. Market would be better served by something of higher quality as Mike noted above.

saw a couple of vids last night. as i said, not a fan of m&p's but this looks interesting. but i have a g20 and really like it so i can't see this m&p is going to bring anything to the party for me. as a glock fan boy, i'm thinking smith just put lipstick on a pig.

Agreed. But it will be a tiny market share and hardly worth the effort IMO. Market would be better served by something of higher quality as Mike noted above.
The market it’s in is bigger than the more expensive 10mm pistol market.

Sounds like Smith these days.
This is a good distraction from the recalled M&P shotguns with the cracking barrels, though...
I like M&P handguns and I think their AR line is fine for the customers it serves. But I don’t understand for the life of me, who would buy one of those shotguns.

Other than hunters / hikers, anecdotally I know of no one that carries 10mm. That market seems awfully small to me. There will be a small splash of new gun fever for this offering and then it will fade to nothing. 10mm enthusiasts are not going to buy this.

Yeah but it ain't breaking sales records after the initial enthusiasm tamps down. It does let smith keep 10mm in their mainstream lineup for short money though.

It won't be long though before its the slowest seller in the case just like every other 10mm.

Other than hunters / hikers, anecdotally I know of no one that carries 10mm. That market seems awfully small to me.
That could be because the G20 is too big to concealed carry and the G29 is too awkward for the caliber with its subcompact grip.

However, I do have to amend what I said before about the middle ground that the M&P 10mm compact is going to be in, size-wise. While it has a 4” barrel, which is nice, it’s apparently keeping the same full size grip that the 4.6” version has. So it’s grip is the same size as a G20’s. I was hoping the 4” model would have the shorter grip of the 40s&w compact. Which would have been 13+1 of 10mm rather than 15+1 and would be a full .5”-.6” shorter.

I understand they needed the big slide from the 45ACP M&P, but it seems like they lazily just took the 45ACP M&P compact’s frame too, which I imagine is as tall as it is because they wanted to increase the fatty 45 capacity.

Yeah but it ain't breaking sales records after the initial enthusiasm tamps down. It does let smith keep 10mm in their mainstream lineup for short money though.

It won't be long though before its the slowest seller in the case just like every other 10mm.

Agreed, but out of the polymer striker fired 10mm segment (albeit small), I’m sure S&W will grab a decent percent of it. There’s also always the chance of trying to win contracts with various game warden/park ranger agencies who may be looking to switch to 10mm. It seems more and more outdoor LEAs are becoming interested in the caliber.

Other than hunters / hikers, anecdotally I know of no one that carries 10mm. That market seems awfully small to me. There will be a small splash of new gun fever for this offering and then it will fade to nothing. 10mm enthusiasts are not going to buy this.

Have to agree here. I bought a 1911 style Delta Elite for my 10mm platform and it's enjoyable to shoot. Though I don't see the big advantage of having a 10mm. Then again, I'm not walking around in brown bear country. So my 44 mag 629 goes with me when in the woods locally.

There was a company trying to resurrect the Bren Ten a few years back, guess it bombed out.
Vltor. Didn’t end up going anywhere. Also some recent talk of CZ making the 75 platform in 10mm. That I would buy. But that’s the $2K market. Not a lot of volume there and lots of offerings if you are willing to do your homework. Then you have the Tanfos, all the 1911s and Sig. So there’s plenty to choose from. But no one is interested in carry polymers in 10mm unless the design were to be groundbreaking somehow. but like someone said above, I am all for expanding the offerings as it legitimizes the market for the caliber.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom