• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Introduction, may be moving from Austin to Mass.

Getting an LTC in RI doesn't sounds like an easy prospect.

Actually Tiverton is right on the RI / MA border. The chief issues actually follows the law RI is a Shall issue state. Tiverton is a really nice area lots of open space and on the water. It's about 50 miles approximately an hour commute to Woods Hole. You won't have any of those who pesky Mass type of gun restrictions. Besides my FFL lives in that town you can order your guns online and do the transfer nice n easy.

This is like walking down the street, free as a bird, and knocking on the prison gate to be let in.

Actually Tiverton is right on the RI / MA border. The chief issues actually follows the law RI is a Shall issue state. Tiverton is a really nice area lots of open space and on the water. It's about 50 miles approximately an hour commute to Woods Hole. You won't have any of those who pesky Mass type of gun restrictions. Besides my FFL lives in that town you can order your guns online and do the transfer nice n easy.

What good does a RI-LTC do, if you spend most of your time in Mass...and for that need an additional non-resident MA LTC which costs you $100 a year?
Better move to a green town on the cape and get a unrestrictet Mass LTC for $100/6 years.

With a RI LTC you can carry as long as you don't drive 10 minutes with your car in any direction...

What good does a RI-LTC do, if you spend most of your time in Mass...and for that need an additional non-resident MA LTC which costs you $100 a year?
Better move to a green town on the cape and get a unrestrictet Mass LTC for $100/6 years.

With a RI LTC you can carry as long as you don't drive 10 minutes with your car in any direction...

Hmm. Sounds like restriction envy to me. LOL

Buy a couple Glocks and bring them with you.
If you don't like them you can always sell them and make some money.

smitty

Welcome to the board, and welcome to New England! I grew up on the Cape, in Dennisport, and even with the sorry state of MA gun laws I'd live there if I could find work closer than an hour away. You'll love it, at times you'll hate it, but it will be fun: it's a very cool place.

Posted from my busted old G2 on T-mobile's sorry network.

It also sounds like maybe I should do a bulk ammo buy before I move too...

Ammo is easy to get. It's forbidden fruit like new Glocks, Springfields, CZs, etc. that are hard to find.

So are private sales even allowed in MA? As long as the gun was brought in and not purchased by an FFL?

Yes, but you're limited to four per year. Birthplace of freedom, dontchaknow.

Ignore everyone advising you not to move to MA, we could use more people like us here. Bring your friends.

Thanks dude! It's quite a shock being accused of being a conservative/republican. Talk about culture shock. Down here I'm a pinko commie liberal simply because of my social views.

Thanks dude! It's quite a shock being accused of being a conservative/republican. Talk about culture shock. Down here I'm a pinko commie liberal simply because of my social views.

I can find you people up here who will think the same of you, if that's any help.

Welcome to MA, btw. I grew up in Austin, and was raised waaaay left of where you landed. Culture shock was a way of life... Between your social views, firearms ownership, education, and being from the South, you should confuse the **** out of a lot of people up here. Have fun with it, and don't let labels worry you.

Yes, but you're limited to four per year. Birthplace of freedom, dontchaknow.

Chris, this is four per calendar year, just fyi. That was something that I wasn't sure of for awhile, so I just thought I'd clarify for you. You can use up all four on Dec. 31st, and have four more sales available to use the next morning.

Hi Chris, MA is not the horror show often portrayed on this board. Cape Cod is beautiful anytime of year, especially the lower Cape (east of Bass River). It's true our gun laws blow, but you can still get some good stuff here. I live in Barnstable and have had no problems getting my LTC. Barnstable even has a public firing range thats well maintained. MA has a lot of great breweries (especially Cape Cod Beer!) and some new distilleries are popping up as well. Boston has a music scene similar to Austin and there's lots of great places to see live music. Are you coming to work at WHOI. If you are stop the shipping office and say hello!
John

I did it 3 years ago. Bring Glocks, as everyone's said. A new Gen4 Glock 26 sells for $650 and up all day long up here. Also, make sure you bring your hunter's safety card from Texas so you don't have to go through the ridiculously long class up here that fills up instantly before you can go hunting.

Shiner Bock is not distributed past Washington DC. Sorry. Also, learn how to cook Mexican food and barbecue, since it's next to impossible to find the good stuff up here. The Texas BBQ Company in Northboro is one notable exception.

The previous posters aren't kidding about the 3x cost of living increase, and taxes will take it out of you in a hurry. The most egregious one is the excise tax that you get hit with every year on the assumed value of your vehicle. Save money.

Almost every apartment in the city of Boston is on a September 1 - September 1 lease, and movers are hard to come by. Accordingly, one way U-Haul rentals from Texas to MA are pretty cheap in the summer, since you're doing them a favor by bringing in inventory. My dual axle trailer cost me $100 for a week of unlimited miles.

JetBlue flights 1263 and 1264.

Mass laws are annoying to say the least! But once you learn them its not so bad if you can move in with what you want! Move to a green town on the cape! Read up on the mass gun laws and you will be fine! If you are a hunter we have awsome wildlife management! 40,000 pheasants. Stocked a year quail is also stocked on the cape 2 bucks a year and in the cape area quite easy to get a doe permit! Fishing is awsome! Salt water well they right books about it! Fresh water they put trout everywhere it is wet on the cape! I love massachussets I hate the AG I hate alot of the laws But there is alot to love!

Ma isn't that bad once you learn how it runs, and we have better carry laws than texas once you actually have the license.

No, we don't. Never in a million years- for one big reason- your license can be stripped in MA.... WITHOUT DUE PROCESS, as well as all your ownership rights along with it. PC 30.06 is an annoyance (that most people ignore anyways) compared to that problem.

-Mike

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and advice. Doing some reading from the forum, seems like maybe once I move up there we should discuss the realities of global warming SCIENCE over some beers. It drives us real climate scientist nuts the way things are portrayed as partisan and political in the media. It doesn't reflect the reality of the science whatsoever.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and advice. Doing some reading from the forum, seems like maybe once I move up there we should discuss the realities of global warming SCIENCE over some beers. It drives us real climate scientist nuts the way things are portrayed as partisan and political in the media. It doesn't reflect the reality of the science whatsoever.
Your politics and attitudes line right up with mine from what I see, and yes, folks like us confuse the hell out of both the liberals and the conservatives. I've come to enjoy it!

Don't let the naysayers scare you. Move to a green town and you'll be good as gold. You don't have to worry about where you're carrying aside from post offices and schools (primary through university), you can carry in bars, and you can even have a beer or two (just don't be drunk)! Licensing is controlled by the town PDs, but is valid statewide. You can carry your pistol in Boston, where you can't carry a knife with a 3" blade! Oh and signage isn't binding... Just carry deep at the malls.

Let's organize an NES meet-up to welcome Chris... I say we rent bikes in Falmouth and ride the trails down to WHOI!

Unless you like big government and high taxes, you sound libertarian to me (which is a good thing in my book).

Good luck with your move.

I was brought up in the traditional deep south culture and around hunting camps and ex-Marines (all southerners), I was exposed to (inundated with) the most hardcore of social and religious conservatism and blatant racism. I've seen more negligent discharges from drunkenness than I care to admit.

I ended up at the opposite of the spectrum, I am socially as liberal as it gets. I'm also aggressively atheist and pro-science. I'm at the pinnacle of the education system through choice and hard work (I worked 3 jobs to pay for my undergrad, I was an aquarist, a boat shop tech, and a teaching assistant). I'm a registered Independent.

Now, I spend time, hang out and keep company with, as you might guess, equally socially liberal people that hold many of the same viewpoints as me on those crazy topics like evolution, abortion and same sex marriage.

Once the threshold of regulations on weapons possession, usually guns, is crossed, in conversation, things diverge and pretty quickly... I'm not trying to reinforce any stereotypes, like liberals want to take your guns, but it's easy to see sometimes how these stereotypes are arrived at.

And there are tons of morons who should never be around a firearm. Or motor vehicle. Etc.

My one friend calls me a "Molon Labe Liberal".

Gun law wise, moving from TX to MA is akin to moving from just about heaven to right outside of hell.
In many ways only CA has worse gun laws.

If there is any other option available to you then don't do it.

smitty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom