• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inexpensive mini-binoculars for range use

Can anybody recommend some mini-binoculars for basic range use? I'm not talking anything insane here. I just want to do a basic check on targets at 25 to possibly 200yds. I also want to keep them small for range bag storing.

If you are trying to see .223 holes at 200 yards, you'll need something a lot better than inexpensive binoculars.

I have a small set of "Simmons" binoculars that the little woman gave me for my birthday. Small enough to fit in a pocket, come with a carrying case/lanyard, and I can VERY easily see holes in plain grid targets from a .22 at 50yds. I'd be stunned if seeing same at 100yds was a problem. They're rubber-coated and come in a tacti-cool camo color, so the targets won't see you and shoot back. [wink]

I believe they came from Dick's Sporting Goods. Great little gift they were - I use 'em every time! Much easier to use binoculars and set up 4 targets at a time than it is to posthole 50yds through 2' of snow and ice in the middle of February. [smile]

Why not just buy a cheap spotting scope instead? I got a winchester one at FS for under $100 a few years ago. Nothing special, but it does the trick at 100-200 yards.

-Mike

I have a decent 8x22 bino (Steiner Predator Pro). I have a very hard time to see .223 holes at 100 yards. I thought all my shots were flyers until I picked it up. I'm looking for a spotting scope now. As anything else in life, you get what you pay for.

I bought a cheap 12x I think at Walmart before the last Appleseed. It seems to work ok for 25 or so yards, but those .22 holes are pretty hard to see. I would get the highest magnification you can find.

I too bought the cheap 12x Eddie Bauer pair at Target. I have only been to the range once since and at 50 yards, using the high visible targets (the kind that change color when punched with holes). I could see the .22 holes and was zeroing in my iron sights with ease.

Have yet to try them at 100 yards, but I expect I would be able to see the holes, again with the high visible targets...

Binoculars were $28.

I have a small set of "Simmons" binoculars that the little woman gave me for my birthday. Small enough to fit in a pocket, come with a carrying case/lanyard, and I can VERY easily see holes in plain grid targets from a .22 at 50yds. I'd be stunned if seeing same at 100yds was a problem. They're rubber-coated and come in a tacti-cool camo color, so the targets won't see you and shoot back.

If depends a lot on the target and lighting. Finding .22 holes in a black bullseye target at 100 yards can be hard unless the target is backlit or you have a quality spotting scope.

Our backstop has a roof over it, so the targets are in shade and there is a shadow behind them. I suspect that I wouldn't have any trouble finding the holes with a Kowa 800 series spotting scope. But those aren't cheap.

I'd like to spend under $50 if possible. I may be trying to bite off more than I can chew for that price range though it seems.

I tried out Ninsho's specs at the appleseed, and they did the job for 25yards. I could probably see how they may not be appropriate for over that though.

I mostly shoot these targets that are very light blue colored or the shoot'n'see types:
seb.jpg

I'd like to spend under $50 if possible. I may be trying to bite off more than I can chew for that price range though it seems.

I tried out Ninsho's specs at the appleseed, and they did the job for 25yards. I could probably see how they may not be appropriate for over that though.

I mostly shoot these targets that are very light blue colored or the shoot'n'see types:
seb.jpg

+1 for shoot'n'see

Why not just buy a cheap spotting scope instead? I got a winchester one at FS for under $100 a few years ago. Nothing special, but it does the trick at 100-200 yards.

-Mike

^What he said. Cheap binocs even at 100 yards won't work very well. Better to have a spotting scope.
Try Optics Planet they have a bunch under $70.00.
Scroll down they have three with 45 degree eyepieces and tripods.

Which model did you get? What zoom levels should I be looking for?

Don't remember the model no offhand, it did 15-40X. I've used it up to about 200 yards or so. Came with a hard case, mini tripod, and a soft case to keep the scope in, w/lens caps.

-Mike

My experience is that it is very difficult to see 223 holes at 200 yds in a standard black target - even using a $1000 Kowa.
For 100 yds and under most inexpensive spotting scopes will allow you to spot most shots, if you have a good stand/tripod.
Shoot-n-C are another matter completely, much much easier.

My experience is that it is very difficult to see 223 holes at 200 yds in a standard black target - even using a $1000 Kowa.
For 100 yds and under most inexpensive spotting scopes will allow you to spot most shots, if you have a good stand/tripod.
Shoot-n-C are another matter completely, much much easier.

I think that's where we've been having the disconnect in this thread. The type of target and the lighting conditions make a huge difference. My experience has been the same with standard black targets -- very hard to see.

I just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FN8ZR2

WTF, it was 2-3 weeks backordered, now its 1-3 months. They can lick my ball bag if they expect me to wait that long. I'll be cancelling that order and ordering the one you listed above looks like.

Edit 2: reordered from an external vendor just had to pay 8 more dollars in shipping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom