Individual fires gun at door of burning home in efforts to rescue man trapped inside in Stoneham

The victim was in a bedroom in the back of the house. He was extricated by fire thru the bedroom window over a ground ladder. Visibility in the house was zero and it took fire a few minutes, even with all their gear and PPE, to locate the victim. Even IF the shooter had gotten thru the door, it is doubtful he/she would have been able to locate the victim with all heat and smoke.

Did anyone bother to read the first line?
As in............."That individual, who is not being named at this time, was licensed to carry and is not facing charges at this time."

This happened in MA. It would not surprise me in the least if they are working on some way to jam this guy up.

The "at this time" was most likely communicated to the reporter from LE. I really doubt the reporter would add that because THEY thought something may come of this later.

All I'm getting from this is stop watching TV and simply walk by while folks die in fire as otherwise the cops will take away your 2A rights.
Nah, just kick the door next to the latch.

Either that or get yourself a long, green stick and roast some marshmallows. ;)

Last edited:
Nah, just kick the door next to the latch.

Either that or get yourself a long, green stick and roast some marshmallows. ;-)
Didn't "Burn Notice" teach us to skip the door and kick out the sheet rock in the wall beside the door, avoiding the studs, of course (pardon the pun, NESers ) [coffee]

Never learned that method on the FD.

My double steel door opened up like a .50 whore with just my shoulder even with the dead bolt in the header.
I’ve got Gunsmoke on the tv right now. I’ll study the tactics of shooting open a door more closely.
FYI you don’t have to shoot open those swinging saloon doors. :)

Why the hell did police “secure” his gun?
Because when you don't know what's going on, you don't let someone just walk around with a gun?

Yeah, now you have maybe 'most' of the facts, it seems dumb. But in the moment? If you say you'd do anything else, you're crazy. Could have been the guy who started the fire. That said, he should get his gun back as soon as everything is sorted out.

The really f***ed up thing, is I could see the cops knocking my door down, it’s not even locked…

I mean one time they knocked hard enough the door open… wasn’t even lock.

You gotta be careful or else they will wellness check the shit out of you..

Now my bunker full beef jerky and toilet paper is a different story

Because when you don't know what's going on, you don't let someone just walk around with a gun?

Yeah, now you have maybe 'most' of the facts, it seems dumb. But in the moment? If you say you'd do anything else, you're crazy. Could have been the guy who started the fire. That said, he should get his gun back as soon as everything is sorted out.
In all honestly I have no idea how the scene was. I tend to not want cops to confriscate people's property if they're not committing a crime. I don't think that someone walking around with a gun is a reason to confriscate it, no. But maybe things appeared differently to the officer that encountered the person.

In all honestly I have no idea how the scene was. I tend to not want cops to confriscate people's property if they're not committing a crime. I don't think that someone walking around with a gun is a reason to confriscate it, no. But maybe things appeared differently to the officer that encountered the person.
I don't know, but did I take guns off of people in 'odd' situations? Sure. Was it absolutely necessary? Probably not, but yes, if I'm the LEAST bit nervous and you have a gun, guess who is giving me that gun, nice and slow? Not even moderately thinking of apologizing for it. Once the situation was diffused, the person was either arrested, or got their gun back, end of story. Didn't have to worry about the gun being involved.

You may call me a JBT, fine, go ahead and Walter Mitty the situation. But if you have a gun and I see your hand go to it, bad things start to happen. I know human behavior, it's natural to rest your hand near where you put your gun, it's why you put it there. It'd be a little different if more people ankle carried, but most people don't.

I don't know, but did I take guns off of people in 'odd' situations? Sure. Was it absolutely necessary? Probably not, but yes, if I'm the LEAST bit nervous and you have a gun, guess who is giving me that gun, nice and slow? Not even moderately thinking of apologizing for it. Once the situation was diffused, the person was either arrested, or got their gun back, end of story. Didn't have to worry about the gun being involved.

You may call me a JBT, fine, go ahead and Walter Mitty the situation. But if you have a gun and I see your hand go to it, bad things start to happen. I know human behavior, it's natural to rest your hand near where you put your gun, it's why you put it there. It'd be a little different if more people ankle carried, but most people don't.

Did you take guns away from people that you didn’t have reason to suspect were committing a crime?

Did you take guns away from people that you didn’t have reason to suspect were committing a crime?
Like people who stopped to ask me a question about the area? No.
If I was first on scene to some kind of disturbance for another agency? Yes.

This case, in simplest terms:
House was on fire.
Someone was shooting 'into' the house.

Using those two facts, what would you do as first on scene? Everything else is after the fact. Those 2 things are all the first cop actually knew when he/she showed up.

Like people who stopped to ask me a question about the area? No.
If I was first on scene to some kind of disturbance for another agency? Yes.

This case, in simplest terms:
House was on fire.
Someone was shooting 'into' the house.

Using those two facts, what would you do as first on scene? Everything else is after the fact. Those 2 things are all the first cop actually knew when he/she showed up.
I see your point. I think that’s fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom