Individual fires gun at door of burning home in efforts to rescue man trapped inside in Stoneham

Because he thought shooting out the lock would work just like on tv.

Pro-tip: kick the door. Purposefully, forcefully and with conviction. Most home doors don’t have reinforced jambs. Wood breaks.
but if your primary source of nutrition is soy, so do legs...

Never found a residential front door that could withstand a good kick or two.
This.. there is usually only 1/2" -3/4" of pine holding back any locking mechanism. The average kick from a pussy would be at least 500 ft-lbs. It usually gives on the second go. I locked myself out one day. Kicked the front door in on the fist try. Took the trim off the wall. Fixed it for $20 and some leftover paint. Felt like the best option since the nearest spare key was an hour away and it was a work day.

I am assuming that the door was locked and the guy was trying to get the door open in an attempt to save somebody's life.

But this in MA where you are not allowed to same somebody else's life with a gun. Most times you are not even allowed to save your own life with a gun,
That what the story said.

Shooting a lock with a pistol isn't going to do much. This is why you have to EDC a DP12 with stiletto chokes.

Because he thought shooting out the lock would work just like on tv.

Pro-tip: kick the door. Purposefully, forcefully and with conviction. Most home doors don’t have reinforced jambs. Wood breaks.

Most doors are made of paper mache and lock hardware is pot metal.

Never found a residential front door that could withstand a good kick or two.

First thing I did with my new place was new steel door frames and doors with anti boot hinges and mul t lock cores. You'd need to come in a window, which is a much nicer way to meat my dogs.

First thing I did with my new place was new steel door frames and doors with anti boot hinges and mul t lock cores. You'd need to come in a window, which is a much nicer way to meat my dogs.
I See You Hunks GIF by giphystudios2021

what do you mean by this

Amazon product ASIN B07T4WMZJYView: https://www.amazon.com/Security-AIEVE-Hidden-Locking-Accessories/dp/B07T4WMZJY/ref=pd_bxgy_vft_med_sccl_1/130-1655165-1122250?pd_rd_w=gAL2e&content-id=amzn1.sym.7f0cf323-50c6-49e3-b3f9-63546bb79c92&pf_rd_p=7f0cf323-50c6-49e3-b3f9-63546bb79c92&pf_rd_r=6MVG4KGA503RBCM5FRKN&pd_rd_wg=dqYF0&pd_rd_r=233363d1-5311-4690-94e8-5c1a1bcf7810&pd_rd_i=B07T4WMZJY&psc=1

Your hinge screws protrude from the hinges, and mate to holes in the other face of the hinge. Door closes and the hinges act like deadbolts. In the case of a steel door and frame, this prevents the hinges from breaking during a kick since all the energy goes from the door into the frame.

Amazon product ASIN B07T4WMZJYView: https://www.amazon.com/Security-AIEVE-Hidden-Locking-Accessories/dp/B07T4WMZJY/ref=pd_bxgy_vft_med_sccl_1/130-1655165-1122250?pd_rd_w=gAL2e&content-id=amzn1.sym.7f0cf323-50c6-49e3-b3f9-63546bb79c92&pf_rd_p=7f0cf323-50c6-49e3-b3f9-63546bb79c92&pf_rd_r=6MVG4KGA503RBCM5FRKN&pd_rd_wg=dqYF0&pd_rd_r=233363d1-5311-4690-94e8-5c1a1bcf7810&pd_rd_i=B07T4WMZJY&psc=1

Your hinge screws protrude from the hinges, and mate to holes in the other face of the hinge. Door closes and the hinges act like deadbolts. In the case of a steel door and frame, this prevents the hinges from breaking during a kick since all the energy goes from the door into the frame.
Oh. You just rip the entire hinge off when you come across those.

Oh. You just rip the entire hinge off when you come across those.

I doubt the hinges are the weak point. Five knuckle heavy weight hardened steel hinges. The screws might be the weak point but if they shear off the door stays closed. I really think you'd have to kick the frame out of the wall. That or pick another way in.

I doubt the hinges are the weak point. Five knuckle heavy weight hardened steel hinges. The screws might be the weak point but if they shear off the door stays closed. I really think you'd have to kick the frame out of the wall. That or pick another way in.
They arent a "weak point" when you look at the different ways to force a door - clearly there are ways a normal door would be approached that are easier. But prying/pulling them out with a halligan isnt rocket science (obviously for doors where the hinges are accessible otherwise this cant be used). After their gone gaping it to get the door out of the frame isnt that complicated either.

Clearly most people wouldnt have a clue but anyone who knows how to force doors would.

Back
Top Bottom