I'm NOT going to take her to the range

+1...I've take quite a few of my friends and every single one of them left with a big smile on their face saying "OK. Now I get it. That's fun." None have them have got into it themselves though. One female friend from college framed her targets and hangs them in her bathroom :)

I personally would take any friend that I trust and who expresses an interest in shooting. I think that its a good thing to try to get people into the shooting sports in a safe and positive manner.

The selfish part is that I want to do something I don't have to share..that's all mine.

For years I tried to get my wife involved in Cowboy Action Shooting. Then I realized I felt the way you do and told her as much. She was actually quite greatfull because she was only going because I wanted her to.

I've taken quite a few poeple to the range including my wife. One thing I found is that everyone who has come with me is nowhere near as enthusuiastic about shooting as I am. So what I find is that most of the time I'm going to the range myself anyway.

For most poeple it's new and different and exciting and they get bragging rights so they can show off to their friends that they did something not many people do.

Worst case...she likes it and wants to do it more......and gets a license and buys her own gun. How does that suck?

I don't think she will want to go with you all the time. maybe she will but most people can't coordinate that much common free time....

I have a few friends that have guns and shoot and it's like pulling teeth to coordinate with them even....

Where's the shooting glasses???

coulter_shooting_gun.jpg

I’m of the same thinking as many others here. Talk it over with the gal and mention to her the way things are done at the range. It always helps too if you start her (or any new shooter) off with a smaller caliber gun to get used to and then work up from there if she feels comfortable.

I’ve had a number of people join me at the range (a couple rather anti-gun) and never once had anyone think badly of the shooting sports when we were through, yup, even the anti-gun folks had seen the light.

take her

Since she asked, i would take her. She's probably never been. Satisfy the
curiosity. SHe might hate it, then again she might like it. But that doesn't
you have to take here every time you go. Just don't tell her.

Its a personal call.

JimB

I get my wife to go to the range once or twice a year to shoot handguns. Not every time. Tell her it's your fun time/quite time/de-stressing time and while you like her and are willing to take her some, you need to go for yourself. She might understand. Never say you don't want her to go. Say you need a few hours a week for yourself.

Worst case...she likes it and wants to do it more......and gets a license and buys her own gun. How does that suck?

I’m of the same thinking as many others here. Talk it over with the gal and mention to her the way things are done at the range. It always helps too if you start her (or any new shooter) off with a smaller caliber gun to get used to and then work up from there if she feels comfortable.

You guys (and others) are missing the point. News Shooter doesn't want her to start shooting with him - he's not trying to get her started. Range time is his time and he doesn't want to share it. I don't blame him. Every man (unless your name is Doug Christie) needs some activity that doesn't involve his significant other. For some guys it's golf, some shooting, others work in their shop.

If you want to keep the range time to yourself, my (serious) advice is to simply not bring it up anymore. If the subject doesn't come up again, then you're off the hook. If she persists, I'll lend you my .500 and some skull and crossbones loads. Don't let her shoot it - instead touch off a couple of rounds yourself and tell her that you're going to start her off with something smaller. Then hand her a Scandium .357 J-frame. Did I mention that I'm divorced?​

Bingo Jim!!

You guys (and others) are missing the point. News Shooter doesn't want her to start shooting with him - he's not trying to get her started. Range time is his time and he doesn't want to share it. I don't blame him. Every man (unless your name is Doug Christie) needs some activity that doesn't involve his significant other. For some guys it's golf, some shooting, others work in their shop.

If you want to keep the range time to yourself, my (serious) advice is to simply not bring it up anymore. If the subject doesn't come up again, then you're off the hook. If she persists, I'll lend you my .500 and some skull and crossbones loads. Don't let her shoot it - instead touch off a couple of rounds yourself and tell her that you're going to start her off with something smaller. Then hand her a Scandium .357 J-frame. Did I mention that I'm divorced?

You nailed it[wink]

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it and ask her about her intentions and so forth. She might just want to see what it's all about and try it once and that could be the end of it. Or, she might end up liking it. Either way, the less of a big deal you make out of it, the less of a big deal she is likely to make out of it. ...

Yup.

Me personally, if a woman asked me out of the clear blue, I would oblige. If she asked that means she has interest, and if you think it's going to go anywhere with her, you should try to foster it. ...

IMO if you think she is going to be too much of a nag at the range, either you
found the wrong one or you're not ready for another relationship yet,...

It sounds like she either is interested in you and wants to take part in something you like so you like her more, or at least wants to give it a try. I imagine she will enjoy it, then gain understanding about why you like it, and let it go at that.

What if she is a closet shooter and is a way better shot than you?

Most women are. I wonder if that is an underlying thing here.

When worlds collide...

OK, Costanza.

My take on it is let her have her "field trip" with you, and either get to know you or at least pretend to. It will show you she is willing to give a little, and I guess that you are to, by letting her a little into your world. Don't stress over it.

My advice is to tell her that you are not the best instructor, but will take her along. If she is still interested, wait for another one of those "spouse" days on here or the "Women on Target" (WOT) through GOAL. That way, the instruction and the various attitudes in both directions are removed from the equation. Last thing you want is to have her or you be frustrated in safety or other training.

My wife went once just so she could say that she'd done it. Didn't have any real interest in shooting unfortunately, but at least showed her support for me and the sport. She was half way decent too.

Now, it's almost the best of both worlds. On one hand, she doesn't like it when I come home with new toys of the firearms variety, but on the other hand, she encourages me to go to the range when she can tell I've had a crappy day. I'd prefer it if she were into it, but I don't think she's itching to go back with me.

My daughter is another story. Loves the range. Shoots great, and is a hell of a lot of fun to be with!

Last edited:
I can appreciate what you are saying about having your own activity, but I'd like to offer a different prospective on this. I love to ski & snowboard and tought (or attemtpted to teach) several ex-girlfriends how to do one or the other. It went well enough, but it was never as much fun as going by myself since the girls were never all that into it and just did it so that we could do something together. I know this is a gun forum, so you may be asking what my point is, and it is this - as skiers our activity is not under constant political and social pressure as shooting is, and we need to take advantage of every opportunity to make inroads with as many people as possible. Although you met this girl at a GOP and she's liley on our side in the voting booth, it should go beyond that. If she has a safe, fun experience at the range she'll be more educated and have a first hand experience if she ever gets into a discussion with an anti. A good example was when my girlfriend (now future wife) was with me when I bought my last piece - she witnessed first hand that it took longer to fill out the paper work than it did for me to pick out the actual piece. Now, if she's ever in a discussion and some ingoramous starts spouting about how easy it is to get guns in this state, she can reference a time where she witnessed the legal purchase and all the checks that go along with it. If it's something she gets into, you'll just have the burden of shooting more (separately) or telling her she can't come with you all the time - she should understand that. As gun owners in MA, we can only afford to be selfish to a point.

Thank you

I can appreciate what you are saying about having your own activity, but I'd like to offer a different prospective on this. I love to ski & snowboard and tought (or attemtpted to teach) several ex-girlfriends how to do one or the other. It went well enough, but it was never as much fun as going by myself since the girls were never all that into it and just did it so that we could do something together. I know this is a gun forum, so you may be asking what my point is, and it is this - as skiers our activity is not under constant political and social pressure as shooting is, and we need to take advantage of every opportunity to make inroads with as many people as possible. Although you met this girl at a GOP and she's liley on our side in the voting booth, it should go beyond that. If she has a safe, fun experience at the range she'll be more educated and have a first hand experience if she ever gets into a discussion with an anti. A good example was when my girlfriend (now future wife) was with me when I bought my last piece - she witnessed first hand that it took longer to fill out the paper work than it did for me to pick out the actual piece. Now, if she's ever in a discussion and some ingoramous starts spouting about how easy it is to get guns in this state, she can reference a time where she witnessed the legal purchase and all the checks that go along with it. If it's something she gets into, you'll just have the burden of shooting more (separately) or telling her she can't come with you all the time - she should understand that. As gun owners in MA, we can only afford to be selfish to a point.

This was a cogent, logical and well-reasoned position which you articulated perfectly.

I'm starting to understand what it feels like to be an anti-gun lib because......

I'm still not taking her.[wink]

Ok...

Just a quick note here that it seems most are forgetting...

News Shooter said:
A woman I've been out with a few times knows I'm a shooter.

He's only been out with her a few times...Yes, he may be jumping the gun by saying he won't take her right now, but who knows. Things may pan out with her, and eventually it's something that she may take more of an interest in, and then who knows...

I'm just saying this because everyone seems to be jumping on him as if he's been seeing this girl for a while now, but from the sound of it...They are still just getting to know each other.

Dave, if you don't want to take her...don't. Like I said, if things work out with her, maybe down the line if she ever expresses interest again, you could reconsider.

Thansk Dave

Ok...

Just a quick note here that it seems most are forgetting...

He's only been out with her a few times...Yes, he may be jumping the gun by saying he won't take her right now, but who knows. Things may pan out with her, and eventually it's something that she may take more of an interest in, and then who knows...

I'm just saying this because everyone seems to be jumping on him as if he's been seeing this girl for a while now, but from the sound of it...They are still just getting to know each other.

Dave, if you don't want to take her...don't. Like I said, if things work out with her, maybe down the line if she ever expresses interest again, you could reconsider.

That's all I've been saying. In my first post I said that if she had said to me that she really really wanted to go I would, but I know she is just being
polite and yes we barely know each other and of course that could change down the road. But given the current situation I'm sticking to it.

I'm through now. I should learn to stay out of politics and domestic situations

Good points. I (and most likely others) thought it was someone you cared about and were interested in for a more long-term type of thing. It's a different scenario now with this clarification.

Back
Top Bottom