I'm NOT going to take her to the range

OK, I've thought a lot about this and I fully admit that this decision is a result of a long, miserable marriage. I applaud and envy all of you who enjoy being with their spouse and getting them involved in your activities.

I've decided to be selfish.

A woman I've been out with a few times knows I'm a shooter. She is a city girl and has no experience with it all but isn't anti-gun (met at a GOP function). She asked me if she could come to the range someday.
The question took me by surprise and I basically just changed the subject and it hasn't come up again.

But I've thinking hard on it and trying to figure out why I had such a negative reaction.

I'm pretty sure she was just being polite because she didn't push it. If she had said something like "I've wanted to shoot a gun my entire life and never got the opportunity..PLEASE take me with you," that would be different.

But you know, I'm a free man these days and I enjoy it. The last thing I would want is to spend time doing something with someone who really didn't want to be there. It wouldn't be fun for either of us.

The selfish part is that I want to do something I don't have to share..that's all mine.

And there is a fear factor too. I'm afraid (again because of my experience)
that if I got a woman involved in shooting with me she would wind up nagging me and ruining it.

Again, I know you happily married folks will disagree, but there it is.[wink]

I understand your reasoning but would caution you not to judge all women by your previous experience.

Do you intend to keep seeing this woman? If so, and she really wants to go to the range, you should take her. If you don't, eventually it could cause a problem. Take her and see how it goes. She might enjoy it and you might enjoy that.

Talk to her about it a bit more and let her be part of the decision-making process.

I can understand where you're coming from since I really value my space and personal time. Unlike you that comes from many years of single life, not from a bad previous experience though.

That being said, I have always made the option available to whoever I was dating in the past & now my wife of joining me in my hobbies. I've always enjoyed teaching people and introducing them to new things.

You might want to be very upfront with her and ask her if she's really interested in trying shooting & what she'd like to try. Also, let her know that there are times when you'll be going to the range specifically to train, test reloads sight things in....(whaterver else you may want to add) & those are times that would be really boring for her & you wouldn't be able to complete the task properly if you're helping someone else.

The majority of the time I shoot, I go alone. My wife enjoys shooting, but generally only joins me at the range a handful of times a year.

Everybody is different though & you've got to read your situation the best you can. What works for me .... etc. Basically YMMV.[wink] Good luck.

Me personally, if a woman asked me out of the clear blue, I would
oblige. If she asked that means she has interest, and if you think it's going to
go anywhere with her, you should try to foster it. Even if she discovers its
not her cup of tea, it's not the end of the world... nothing ventured nothing
gained.

IMO if you think she is going to be too much of a nag at the range, either you
found the wrong one or you're not ready for another relationship yet, especially if
you've just come out of a crappy one. If a woman is a nag at the range then
things are only gonna go downhill from there! [laugh]

-Mike

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it and ask her about her intentions and so forth. She might just want to see what it's all about and try it once and that could be the end of it. Or, she might end up liking it. Either way, the less of a big deal you make out of it, the less of a big deal she is likely to make out of it.

I always take anyone who is interested (which isn't that often) and let them try a few different guns. Shooting interactive targets like the spinning discs or ballons or soda cans and such always seems to be a hit.

She may turn out to be a better shot than you, but since it doesn't have to be a competition, why not be proud of her? Most guys would probably beside themselves to have a significant other who can hold her own on the line!

Hey Dave. If she's good looking, I'll take her.

Your humor kills me! [rofl]

But with regard to the post... I can see your dilema. I don't go to bars and hang out with the guys like I used to so I appreciate my time shooting on my own- with other guns friends OR really alone.[rofl]

My wife doesn't have any interest other than understanding my love for my hobby- she'd been once and would go again but I don't push it.

If she got into it she might realize what I really have and spend and my cover would be blown!

Bottom line- take her if she wants. If a genuine interest is there you'll know it.

She may turn out to be a better shot than you, but since it doesn't have to be a competition, why not be proud of her? Most guys would probably beside themselves to have a significant other who can hold her own on the line!

+1000

I ask my Wife to join me any time I'm heading to the range. I don't force it, but I prefer to do things together.

I guy I used to know took his girlfriend to the range and taught her how to shoot. On one of these sessions at the range, she got mad at him and threatened to shoot him, with a loaded pistol! Be careful.

I personally would take any friend that I trust and who expresses an interest in shooting. I think that its a good thing to try to get people into the shooting sports in a safe and positive manner.

Back
Top Bottom