I'm looking for the best combination of power and concealability.

A G23 in .40, will give you 14 rds....a G30 in .45 will give you 11

both similiar size and weight

[grin]

i concur.... G23 is my year round carry 90% of the time. sometimes i do carry a full size 1911 as well, depending on clothes and dirty guns [smile][wink]

Fixed it for you. There are no "illegal" G29s in MA. [grin] There's only "compliant" and "not so compliant".

G29 shouldn't be too hard to find- usually people cycle through them fast if they don't reload, because they shoot for
awhile, then go broke feeding it, then sell it. [laugh]

-Mike

My G20 has given me that exact problem. I had to promise the wife that I won't get a 29 until I have a press.

I have the M&P .40 compact. I'm 5'9 225lbs and I can conceal well (after trial and error)
I love it...although I've read mixed reviews on here. I learned to shoot with a Glock 22, and honestly they are both great guns.

My G20 has given me that exact problem. I had to promise the wife that I won't get a 29 until I have a press.

The most important thing for 10mm is the brass. Start hoarding that now, even before you get a press. [laugh]

-Mike

What do you all think of the S&W M&P series?

What's the difference between .40 and 9MM (since I've never owned or shot either)

I carry the M&P 40 Compact often. Conceals very well (even in summer clothes) and I am not a big guy (5'7" 175lbs).

If you are considering purchase and can't decide between these two (M&P 40c and M&P 9c), I would suggest the 40 b/c you can always buy an aftermarket 9mm barrel and convert to 9mm. You can't go the other way (convert 9mm to 40).

Hope this helps some.

Skip the 10mm ($ or not available ammo) and get a G27 (.40) or G26 (9mm). Glock's sub-compacts, they'll fit in your jeans pocket.

There have been some in the classifieds here, recently. (no, not mine)

55_grain

Oh, I do.

I knew I was going to be reloading sooner or later when I realized that my two favorite guns (so far) are the 10mm Glock and the .303 Enfield.

For MA, the difference between the M&P 9c and 40c is the size of the hole at the business end. In free states, the 9c can hold more ammo, but in MA you can only have 10.

I find that the compacts carry VERY well.

You will need to budget to have the trigger gone over by a gunsmith, but that's really the only downside.

Your best bet is to make up the short list of potential candidates, try them, and see what fits your hand/is comfortable to shoot.

Go Green, and you can attend a member shoot and do that in sort of a "one stop shopping" outing. (^_^)

What do you all think of the S&W M&P series?

What's the difference between .40 and 9MM (since I've never owned or shot either)

I've owned both, first bought the 9c then upgraded to the .40c. There is no difference in size, they are the exact same size-wise except for the caliber. I'll echo what was just said above about buying the .40c- the 9 is a great gun but for approx. $129 you can have it in both (with a conversion kit) and for an additional $89 you can have it in .357 too- that's two additional calibers for a little over $200. It has been a great gun for me; conceals very well, shoots well, and offers various options for switching calibers.

Just two more if you use regular compact mags. Or 7 more if you use regular full size mags. [smile]

Yep. I use the 15 round mags with grip extension for my .40c now. I can't hit anything with just 10 rounds. I don't warm up until somewhere around round 13.

Yes, I was trained to be a Worcester police officer too and that is where I learned my shooting skills.

Yep. I use the 15 round mags with grip extension for my .40c now. I can't hit anything with just 10 rounds. I don't warm up until somewhere around round 13.

Yes, I was trained to be a Worcester police officer too and that is where I learned my shooting skills.

I worked in Worcester for 10 years, still live in Worcester County, and visit the city for dinner and to visit Union Music often.

I like the S&W semi autos myself. I have both a 3914 and a 6906 and both carry nicely. I don't own, but have shot, the M&P 9c and think that's a fine option as well.

M&P 9 / 40c series are good guns. It's bigger/heavier than the glock 26/27 series a bit. If you get one in MA plan on a trigger job by someone.....the trigger pull on mine was about 14# and useless....I ended up selling it because I didn't want to deal with it..but I can't really say anything bad, they are a touch more complicated to take apart than a glock, but by no means difficult.

Back
Top Bottom