I'm looking for the best combination of power and concealability.

Without going into too much detail. Given the conditions of the economy and my job in the financial services sector I've decided to start carrying. I have the LTC A. I'm looking for something that I can wear under a suitcoat without looking like I'm in the SS.

Presently I own a P220, S&W 686 .357 with 6" barrel and a Baretta Cheetah .380.

The P220 and 686 are a bit bulky and the Baretta a bit underpowered.

I haven't been in a Massachusetts gun shop in years. What else should I take a look at?

I'm a "big guy" at 5'10" and 240lbs.

Last edited:
A 4" 1911 should work. I don't have one but I like the 1911 because they are slimmer. I currently have a XD subcompact. I am smaller (5' 9" 175 lbs) and can conceal it easily, especially with a Crossbreed holster at 3 o'clock.

Pretty much any compact in 9mm (or bigger) in a good IWB should work. At the moment I'm carrying a Walther P99c in .40 in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. You wouldn't know it unless you were looking.

Or you could do a J frame revolver in a pocket holster. That's the next purchase on my list. :)

I am in the same boat. I work in financial services and can npt advertise the fact I am carrying.

I have a S&W360 357. Small and light. I carry in
my jacket pocket. I might go with a bigger gun in the winter since I can conceal better with winter coats. I have portable safe I lock it in at work. It stays locked in the safe locked in a cabinet in my locked office since I can't carry to meetings.

Glock 29 (if you can find one in MA)

Fixed it for you. There are no "illegal" G29s in MA. [grin] There's only "compliant" and "not so compliant".

G29 shouldn't be too hard to find- usually people cycle through them fast if they don't reload, because they shoot for
awhile, then go broke feeding it, then sell it. [laugh]

-Mike

The .380 should be good for starters. Otherwise, a used Kahr or Kel-Tec. You could also try a Ruger LCP or LCR.

I just purchased a commander sized 1911 for CC because I like the 1911 platform and because I wanted the same gun for both CC and HD. I currently have an XD subcompact in 9mm that was my primary CC. You can hardly tell it is there with my don hume OWB holster and if I had an IWB, it would disappear.

You can't go wrong with either.

I thought Mass law restricted clips to 9 rounds?

No, it's 10, unless the mag is old enough. With pre-ban mags you can have as many rounds as you want... and with certain guns (namely, Glocks, Sigs, and Berettas) prebans aren't all that hard to find.

-Mike

I thought Mass law restricted clips to 9 rounds?

Magazines....

The rule is 10 rounds, but only for new magazines. In many cases you can find "pre-ban" mags that hold more than 10.

Kahr PM40

Or PM9

Either is perfect for pocket carry or ultra discreet IWB carry.

If you know you are not going to be taking your coat off in the office, a 10 round subcompact like a Glock 26 or M&P9c in an IWB holster will definitely hide well.

G29 would have the most power and is probably the only compact 10mm there is to talk about.

G30SF in good old .45 is what i carry. Both 29 and 30 are the same size and conceal the same and carry 10 rounds.

Glock 33,27 would also be good also carry 10 rnds.

Any compact .45 officers acp from a variety of makers will carry 7 rnds.

Kahr makes a bunch of nice small guns as well. PM9/40......

You'll pay a lot for glocks and Kahrs in this state if you don't shop around.

Last edited:
Does the 10 round limit (assuming mags are post-ban) incluse 1 in the chamber?

No. It's just for the feeding device itself (the magazine). So you can legally have 10 + 1 in the pipe, or more than that with a pre-ban magazine.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom