I'm looking for the best combination of power and concealability.

I like the S&W semi autos myself. I have both a 3914 and a 6906 and both carry nicely. I don't own, but have shot, the M&P 9c and think that's a fine option as well.

+1 on the 39XX. Excellent pistol and I wonder why the PPS makes the big splash that it does when the 39913/3914 was doing the same exact thing long ago.

And please, do not hate the DA/SA action. Learn how to shoot with a revolver and everything else becomes easy.

+1 on the 39XX. Excellent pistol and I wonder why the PPS makes the big splash that it does when the 39913/3914 was doing the same exact thing long ago.

I bought the 3914 because it's so light and easy to conceal. I also shoot it pretty well, and gave up some stopping power with my G23 in favor of getting rounds on target more easily with the Smith. I bought the 6906 not just because it carries more rounds, but because a friend of mine had one and I always liked the way it looked and the way it felt in my hand. That both will fit in the same holsters is just icing on the cake.

And please, do not hate the DA/SA action. Learn how to shoot with a revolver and everything else becomes easy.

Not me. I have two Model 10s, a Model 18, a Model 60, and a Model 34, as well as a 442. If I ever come across a 3" Model 13 I can afford, I'll have one of those as well.

The most important thing for 10mm is the brass. Start hoarding that now, even before you get a press. [laugh]

-Mike

now, I am still far from brome feeding that gun and still have plenty of ammo (thanks [smile]) but most of the 10MM I find these days isnt reloadable casings, which sucks.

I like my Glock 27 (.40) although ive been thinking about going off into Glock 29 (10mm) land...

What about the .357sig conversion?

I have a Glock 32 (.357 SIG 'compact') that i use for open carry at work. its a nice round.

I tried really, really hard to get a Glock 33 for concealed carry, but those can even be difficult (or were last year) to get in free states.

.40 is a fine round for CC...

TaxiSecretService.jpg

I'm 6'1 240 I carry either a G23 or G27, never like to play favorites. Sometimes both if i have a loose waist band.[smile]

I have a G30 and an XD9. I enjoy shooting both. I find the G30 too thick for comfortable IWB concealment

a Compact 1911 with slim grips works well for me

I have a G30 and an XD9. I enjoy shooting both. I find the G30 too thick for comfortable IWB concealment
a Compact 1911 with slim grips works well for me

That's what I think is the big size difference between my G23 & G30...the bulkieness of the G30 grip..

My P220 kind of fills that niche, though I do like the look and feel of a 1911.
If you like the SIG fire controls, you can look at the P239, but they're not that thin.

If you want something TDA, the S&W 3913 is a great shooting pistol that isn't a lot heavier than some of the polymer single-stack 9's.

Okay , no joke here ; Power & concealability :
Get a full sized 1911. Get a few different holsters for different clothes.

My P220 kind of fills that niche, though I do like the look and feel of a 1911.

Wait. Now don't get me wrong here, but when people talk about a "carry gun", aren't they usually referring to something slim, small, and compact? I know tastes and styles vary, but when I think of a 220 or 1911, I am thinking these are usually considered to be full size or "duty size" guns, not something easily concealable.

...If you want something TDA, the S&W 3913 is a great shooting pistol that isn't a lot heavier than some of the polymer single-stack 9's.

What does "TDA" mean?

power, concealability, controlability - YOU ONLY GET TO PICK 2.

Its a trade off. S&W makes a scandium .44 magnum with a 3 inch bbl. I'd say thats the ULTIMATE in power and concealability. But it will take you 2 seconds between shots to recover from the recoil, muzzle flash, cylinder gap flash. (remember 90+% of defensive shootings happen at night)

Bottom line, don't forget about control. I'll give you an example. Years ago I wanted to buy a subcompact Glock. I looked at the 26 and 27 in 9mm and .40 respectively. At the time I was shooting IDPA. I was shooting a fair amount and was rated Expert with a Glock 17.

I ended up getting the 26 after shooting them both because I could not double tap accurately with the .40. the recoil was enough more that I had to stop and reaim. To me, the ability to deliver two 9mm rounds within a couple of inches of each other a quarter of a second appart at defensive ranges was more important than the better balistics of the .40.

Don
p.s. I ended up selling the Glock and getting a Kahr P9. What a great carry gun if you are using a holster. If you're doing pocket carry check out the PM9. And they're made in MA.

I like the S&W semi autos myself. I have both a 3914 and a 6906 and both carry nicely. I don't own, but have shot, the M&P 9c and think that's a fine option as well.

+10 on the Smith and Wesson 6906. Very good and reliable gun. It's my primary for CCW. For winter months I carry my Kimber 1911 4" Eclipse Pro.

Glock 19/23 or one of the S&W M&Ps. When the M&P45C makes it to MA, use that-it's a great gun that's G19 size in .45ACP.

+10 on the Smith and Wesson 6906. Very good and reliable gun. It's my primary for CCW. For winter months I carry my Kimber 1911 4" Eclipse Pro.

I shot another member's Kimber Carry Pro at the Pumpkin Shoot and it was sweet! Very little take-up on the trigger, and the trigger broke very nicely.

I was also impressed by the minimal recoil. For a lightweight .45 I was surprised.

Colt 1911 combat comander. Thin, powerful, reliable, accurate, easy to control and shoot. What more could you want?

Back
Top Bottom