• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm gone...

I'm not that far away from the border (I live in Fitchburg) the only problem
is my commute is already horrendous, and moving would make it more
horrendous. (I have to drive to the peoples republic of cambridge
every day). Course if I "re invent" myself in NH, I could kill like
three birds with one stone... get my commute under an hour and not have
to deal with MA BS on -anything-.

That being said, living in MA sucks. It's a lot more than just the
"Gun Thing", although that plays a role. It sucks getting up in the morning,
knowing your paying taxes and fees through the nose (to support a
government which is FULL of corrupt hacks) and on top of all that your
constitutional rights are being supressed only because you happen
to live here. That feeling just SUCKS. I really don't want to be
living here past 30, that's for sure. I would have moved already if I didn't
have the property arrangement that I have now... I like my house and
the like... the problem is is that it's -IN MA-. And that doesn't do me
much good. I'm starting to think that making some sacrifices in order
to NOT live here is a good thing.

-Mike

Last edited:
Anyone else want moving south, or am I the only one? I've plowed & hauled enough snow to last me a lifetime, so moving North wasn't a good option for us. I am looking forward to good working weather almost year round, as well as good hunting/off roading/fishing/hiking/camping/horseback riding, etc. nearby.

Anyone else want moving south, or am I the only one? I've plowed & hauled enough snow to last me a lifetime, so moving North wasn't a good option for us. I am looking forward to good working weather almost year round, as well as good hunting/off roading/fishing/hiking/camping/horseback riding, etc. nearby.
You're not the only one.

I am in Ohio for career reasons (auto industry), but what I do is applicable across most any manufacturing enterprise (plus Nissan and Toyota are huge south of here).

I've been eyeing Tennessee for some time now.

No, I'll never move south. You can put on enough clothing to stay warm, but you can't take off enough to get cool (I hate the heat). Besides, I love the snow, wintertime, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, etc (and without winter, there's no spring, my favorite time of year!) and - I'm married to a polar bear [laugh]

Last edited:

The boss and I have talked about moving to the south-west.

You're not the only one dearheart. Soon as I'm able, hubby and I are picking up and moving south of the Mason/Dixon line. I can't take the snow and cold anymore.

I like the south but I couldn't live there. I travel for my job about 50%-75% of the time (it varies year-to-year) and I make a dozen or so trips to the southern states every year.

I couldn't live there because the pace is too slow. Now the term, "slow-paced" may sound nice and laid back and relaxing, but it ends up being the opposite after a while. For example, you can't go into a store and buy a pack of gum or get a cup of coffee in an acceptable (to me) amount of time. I can put up with it in short doses but there's no way I could do it full time. If I'm there too long I start finishing people's sentences for them and driving in the median to get around people.

With that said, AL is a good choice K-Dub. I get down to Huntsville a couple of times per year and I really like that area.

(I just come back to torque Jay G...)

Who may actually be the guy to "turn out the lights".

I moved to FL in January. I am awash in a sea of sun and guns. Right now, it is the middle of "winter", which means that it is 65 and crystal crisp during the day, mid-50's at night.

You can't imagine how good freedom is until you get outta that hellhole. The minute I crossed out of MA into CT it felt like a great weight had been removed from my chest (of course, the weight returned in NY and NJ as I was carrying about a half-ton of ammo in my truck)

Since I just made a career change, and there are some big projects the Wife is working on, we can't bail just yet (plus I kinda wanna watch the state burn a little more....since a moving is a PITA I wanna be dead sure it's worth my while)

I see Maine as just being 10 years behind Mass, so a run there would just be a temporay fix, and things look grim for NH too, so it'll be the Research triangle down in North Carolina for us, maybe around 2010 or so.

Don't have many friends down in the area, so we'll be starting all over again...but maybe I'll stop by the Massachusettes Embacy in NC to see who else is around [laugh]

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

A little harder in my case.. Though I have already made a statement, rather a demand to Kim that we are moving to NH. Once her health issues are done, and she doesn't have to make all those trips to Dana Farber, I will be looking hard!

Just to think... About 4 years ago, I actually owned my first house in NH... Why OH GOD WHY did you let me make yet ANOTHER dumb ASS decision!

Oh, trust me, I'm torqued enough already...

It's not that I don't want to move; I do. I envy you and Bruce and anyone else who has managed to get the hell out of Dodge.

But I'm not leaving without my kids, and if I try to force the issue that's what's going to happen.

BTW, you need to change your location in your profile... [wink]

Who may actually be the guy to "turn out the lights".

I moved to FL in January. I am awash in a sea of sun and guns. Right now, it is the middle of "winter", which means that it is 65 and crystal crisp during the day, mid-50's at night.

You can't imagine how good freedom is until you get outta that hellhole. The minute I crossed out of MA into CT it felt like a great weight had been removed from my chest (of course, the weight returned in NY and NJ as I was carrying about a half-ton of ammo in my truck)

I outta here too!

My in-laws just moved to Florida, my wife lost her job, and I hate mine.
Would anyone like a nice ranch home on 1/2 acre, convenient to everything in Central Mass for $270.000? I will even throw in all of the lawn gear and snow equipment I have. I am going to Fla!

Just kidding for now, I can't leave just yet. But just wait till spring!

Last edited:
When I move it's going to be south, I'm already familiar with Norfolk VA as I was stationed there for a few years. I won't move to Norfolk but VA in general sounds good, they have open carry down there.

A little harder in my case.. Though I have already made a statement, rather a demand to Kim that we are moving to NH. Once her health issues are done, and she doesn't have to make all those trips to Dana Farber, I will be looking hard!

Just to think... About 4 years ago, I actually owned my first house in NH... Why OH GOD WHY did you let me make yet ANOTHER dumb ASS decision!

I hope Kim's doing better hun.

We're moving South.

I like VA for tech job prospects, but the wife likes the cost of living in Raleigh, so we'll probably end up there unless I can prove to her that the DC area (in VA!) can be affordable. Raleigh/Durham is nice, so I'm ok with the idea. We visited last summer and got a feel for the place. The biggest concern will be avoiding the suburb-sprawl areas when house shoppoing. I'd say that about half the available housing in the Research Triangle area is real town living, and the other half is massive, soulless developments. Avoid the developments.

We're on a six month plan at this point. The idea is to put the condo on the market next April/May.

Leaving this state will be such a good feeling.

Imagine my position- I can look out my back window & when leaves have fallen,can see freedom! Seabrook,NH beckons .3 mi. away, yet wife & family have no interest in moving. Last week`s elections & then Leg`s refusal to vote @ Con. Conv. just add to the long list of why I`m "proud to be from Assachusetts" It`s making me crazy!

Back
Top Bottom