Illegal Data Release Massachusetts

I downloaded one of the files but do not seem to be able to open it. I don't think I have winzip or whatever you need to unzip it and also it seems to indicate I need Office 365 to view the files. Old, non techie guy here, anyone can help?
It probably doesn't matter in my case since I moved South in 2015, but I am curious to see If I could decipher the data.

Problem is when I move it isn't going to be anywhere near the New England. The only thing keeping me here now is my 73yr old mother, once she's gone and all's settled I'm gone for good(I'll reluctantly come back for a day or two for folks IGAS about, a very short list, if I must).
Same here. My mom and dad are mid 80s with serious health problems.

Have they said why/how this went on?
It was intentional to rile up the moms demand and blue hairs to push new legislation as always. You think running the same play would get old.

The data however can be easily cross referenced and show that likely low to none of these recorded transactions were ever "crime guns". Nor were any significant number of the LTC holders arrested for violent crimes. They won't be coming out with that stat selection though.

It's simply "you buy and sell too many of something I don't want you to have".

Last edited:
Releasing any data like this is absurd, but the real problem with this is the unique IDs. The very short version of this is:
-anyone you've ever traded with can now look up your gun collection, AND they already have your address from the original transfer
-anyone, literally anyone, who knows your birthday in real life can look up your gun collection and transaction history

So basically, the sketchy subcontractor with prison tats and trackmarks who paved your driveway the day the birthday flowers were delivered now knows how many guns you own and what model. Or to take it even a step further, if you've ever mentioned your birthday and town on NES we now all know almost as much about your gun ownership as you do.

Releasing any data like this is absurd, but the real problem with this is the unique IDs. The very short version of this is:
-anyone you've ever traded with can now look up your gun collection, AND they already have your address from the original transfer
-anyone, literally anyone, who knows your birthday in real life can look up your gun collection and transaction history

So basically, the sketchy subcontractor with prison tats and trackmarks who paved your driveway the day the birthday flowers were delivered now knows how many guns you own and what model. Or to take it even a step further, if you've ever mentioned your birthday and town on NES we now all know almost as much about your gun ownership as you do.
Damages should be paid to every UUID.

I mean you can even see serial numbers of guns in the classifieds, look those up, link NES name to list etc

Heck birthday data is part of the census data, and with the public records acts, anyone can request the census data for a town and get all the info they need to start mining these for information

It won't be random. You will need to know the person's DoB and residence. But then you can start taking WAGs and with the list of guns it helps. Believe me, I am betting someone here unearths some cop's purchases before long. Their licenses are out of the town they work in all too often. The DoB will be easy to find. But the point is, you will be able to connect a person with an LTC a whole lot easier with this dataset than without it...

Well it’s pretty clear what needs to happen here. Fight fire with fire. Give it a few months and I won’t be surprised to see someone scrape every bit of public data that can be found regarding MA LEO’s and MA politicians. Registry of deeds is a good tool once you have a name. Perhaps a list will surface with names, address, guns (No guns is a valid entry in such a database). You know, for informational purposes. Scumbags.

I downloaded one of the files but do not seem to be able to open it. I don't think I have winzip or whatever you need to unzip it and also it seems to indicate I need Office 365 to view the files. Old, non techie guy here, anyone can help?
It probably doesn't matter in my case since I moved South in 2015, but I am curious to see If I could decipher the data.
Drop a town and dob, DOX challenge.

Been doing some work.

Someone at the state f***ed up the dealer 2016-2021 file, the "Weapon Type" column is serial numbers, not handgun, shotgun, rifle, etc. like it is pre 2016.

Any of you who have ever posted a picture of one of your firearms with SN that was purchased between 2016 and 2021 can basically be Doxxed.

Any computer made in the last decade can natively open ZIP files, or you can use freeware software like 7Zip. The actual spreadsheets are in XLS or CSV format, which need some form of compatible software to open them. There are paid versions like Office 365 or free versions like Google Docs, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, or if you're on a Mac it's Numbers.

Been doing some work.

Someone at the state f***ed up the dealer 2016-2021 file, the "Weapon Type" column is serial numbers, not handgun, shotgun, rifle, etc. like it is pre 2016.

Any of you who have ever posted a picture of one of your firearms with SN that was purchased between 2016 and 2021 can basically be Doxxed.
Even though I made sure to never post with the SN exposed, i think I'll make the effort to go back and delete the photos...
But at this point, it's likely too late.

I'd bet wikipedia and public election records.
In MA they list your address when you run for office on the ballot.
Now whether or not that's her actual address is another thing entirely.
Depends. Is the address listed in P-town or Northampton? Is there at least one Subaru station wagon registered to an owner at that address?

Last step is to follow New York's play when they released a map of names and addresses of all LTC holders in MA lol. Pretty helpful to whoever wants your stuff now that thieves can guesstimate exactly what you've got.

Depends. Is the address listed in P-town or Northampton? Is there at least one Subaru station wagon registered to an owner at that address?
I know you are joking, but the only way to be mostly anonymous as a property owner in MA is to use a holding corporation and make people have to jump through extra hoops to look at the corporation filings to eventually find you as an owner.

It also appears from the database that the field 'WEAPON TYPE' is the serial number of the gun. I've verified this against a couple of handguns.
Yup. Only in the dealer spreadsheet. I don't see this column in the transfer/registration spreadsheet.

WOW. Well I found plenty of mine - many have since been sold of course. This is nuts.

If someone indexes transfer dates with dates marked sold in the classifieds here they are going to be able to connect a whole bunch of dots. Not always depending on when the classified listing was updated to be marked sold, but frequently enough.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge invasion of privacy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom