Illegal Data Release Massachusetts

So who requested and who approved of releasing this mess? :mad:

Governments have all sorts of reasons at their disposal to refuse FOIA requests and they use them to withhold or heavily redact regularly. This came out in this format because the state wanted to disclose all of it. In any event they sure as shit didn’t have an obligation to host all the data.

The fact that you would go on here and post somebodies property you don’t know after finding it on a list that was illegally made public is beyond f***ed up. Provide all the shit you want to try and back it up. It’s not criminals or the public that’s going to be the problem with this it’s rats like you.
Wait, are you that guy!?

Well, but the problem here is that YOU were the one saying all this is nothing to worry about.

HE just showed you why this is something to worry about. It certainly is not just NESers who are able to do this.

I hope it helps.
Before you get any further, here's an article by a pro-2A website that references a FOIA request approved in July of 2022 for this data:

This data has been around since July 2022! If anything, it shows that anti-gunners are liers!
This being a criminals playbook…I still don’t think it’s any thing to worry about. I NEVER said it WASNT concerning or illegal or f***ed up. Typical you. The only ppl in this f***in state that have reviewed that database is gun owners on here and now ppl’s shit is being posted here! That is f***ed up beyond belief!

Governments have all sorts of reasons at their disposal to refuse FOIA requests and they use them to withhold or heavily redact regularly. This came out in this format because the state wanted to disclose all of it. In any event they sure as shit didn’t have an obligation to host all the data.
The state released the data with a user id not linked to any name. What it did enable was grouping of EFA-10 transactions between users - so if you knew who bought a Webley-Fosbury in a reported transaction, you could get a list of all transactions, grouped by user, of all persons whose transaction included such a gun.

This being a criminals playbook…I still don’t think it’s any thing to worry about. I NEVER said it WASNT concerning or illegal or f***ed up. Typical you. The only ppl in this f***in state that have reviewed that database is gun owners on here and now ppl’s shit is being posted here! That is f***ed up beyond belief!
Two things

1. Stop taking the bait from trolls
2. Quantify your statement that we are the only people looking at this data, because I think it's full of S

The state released the data with a user id not linked to any name. What it did enable was grouping of EFA-10 transactions between users - so if you knew who bought a Webley-Fosbury in a reported transaction, you could get a list of all transactions, grouped by user, of all persons whose transaction included such a gun.

Right. Because they wanted to. They didn’t have to include the individual’s ID number, or use the same number for the licensing spreadsheet.

Right. Because they wanted to. They didn’t have to include the individual’s ID number, or use the same number for the licensing spreadsheet.
I am 1000% convinced it was all on purpose. They will try to do the "oops our bad". We will see.

Yes inded. And it's even worse: they could delete that column completely from the posted version whenever they want. They're choosing not to do that, every day. Not only did they want to release all this, they STILL want to keep it released.

The problem is it's way too easy to correlate those user IDs to a real person, or their online persona. If you know a dude IRL or on NES who owns guns you can basically peek into his safe with this.

I think the state needs to re-read its own data protection laws... and not just those specific to firearms. Then also review the case history on the topic as the Mass SJC has ruled that a person's zip code alone constitutes P.I., meaning the state is breaking this law by exposing the data to the internet.
the state could not possibly care less that they are breaking the law.

I am 1000% convinced it was all on purpose. They will try to do the "oops our bad". We will see.
New AG just announced the creation of a new ‘Office of Gun Safety Enforcement’ to crack down law bidding gun owners. No comment on criminals who are not concerned with gun safety.

Last edited:
Just to be clear: Individual ID number in the datasets is not the same one as one's License Number

Yes, but they’re the same as in the licensing spreadsheet. For example, with 2 pieces of info you posted here on NES (your birthday and the town you’re in) I’m pretty sure I can find you, Sammy, on the licensing spreadsheet. I didn’t find any transactions for you on either of the other spreadsheets though.

Yes inded. And it's even worse: they could delete that column completely from the posted version whenever they want. They're choosing not to do that, every day. Not only did they want to release all this, they STILL want to keep it released.
COMM2A has received redacted dumps of LTC data. While I cannot speak to the motivation, I can observe that none of the dumps we received included the userid field.

Not blow a gasket but you don’t think that’s a little f***ed up?
He's making the point about how dangerous it is. If any of us chumps can figure out stuff like that just by looking at a file, someone with programming skills can use it to "map" gun owners. Especially if the data is crossed with other public records.

Two things

1. Stop taking the bait from trolls
2. Quantify your statement that we are the only people looking at this data, because I think it's full of S
What that dude did was more than just trolling. I know it’s public for everybody to see but that is inexcusable. All kidding aside I wish I really could quantify my statement and find out how many have actually accessed that database. I would bet my pension more NES members have accessed it than regular folk since it’s been public. Just my opinion.

He's making the point about how dangerous it is. If any of us chumps can figure out stuff like that just by looking at a file, someone with programming skills can use it to "map" gun owners. Especially if the data is crossed with other public records.
Posting other peoples property in a public forum, Especially what kind of property it is…it’s not making a point on how easy it is. It’s f***ed up. I completely disagree

"As she did during her campaign, Campbell did not shy away from her life story, including her father being sent to prison for eight years and her twin brother Andre Campbell dying in police custody. A second brother is in custody facing rape charges."

What that dude did was more than just trolling. I know it’s public for everybody to see but that is inexcusable. All kidding aside I wish I really could quantify my statement and find out how many have actually accessed that database. I would bet my pension more NES members have accessed it than regular folk since it’s been public. Just my opinion.
So first you accused everyone here of overreacting to this, now you're pissed because someone (multiple people actually) actually used the data in a boring way to demonstrate the danger? Which is it? 🤣

"As she did during her campaign, Campbell did not shy away from her life story, including her father being sent to prison for eight years and her twin brother Andre Campbell dying in police custody. A second brother is in custody facing rape charges."

I see 40 is the new 50

This is their way of putting data in the hands of private actors, so that they can manipulate and exploit it in ways the government can’t.
If by “private sector” you mean the media, then I agree with you.

It’s starting to feel like a prompt for a bullshit news story that then can be the catalyst for political “solutions”.

Back
Top Bottom