Illegal Data Release Massachusetts

A lot of these big dog collectors "hoarders" are very high influence in the state too though. They got the money for bigger collections than firearms, these guys run Lambos and Mclarens as daily drivers. They also have lawyers.
I sort of know one person like that…. I can’t imagine what lawyering up he must be doing.

Hate to say it but birthdates are not PII. Anyone can request a list of residents from their Town/City Clerk in MA that will have names, addresses, and DOB info (except for minors and law enforcement). Some towns used to even print it every year in a bound booklet. It's a standard report from the state census database.
In Healthcare they are PHI, and this database is supposedly being used for the guns public health crisis.

Every time I think about this data release the implications get more sketchy. If you post a WTS thread here saying "CZ550 in .270 Win, bought two years ago from Four Seasons, located in Groveland" the guy you're driving a half hour to meet in a Starbucks parking lot could already know about every gun you own just by looking at this list.

I just thought of another use! Next time your spouse challenges you on the number of firearms you own, just show them the dude from Sudbury who has purchased 1050 firearms! This dude has some fun stats:
  • only owns 19 Glocks. This means he's not some nutcase.
  • owns 347 AK's. He must be Russian!
  • owns 135 SIGs. Seem normal until you realize that of those, 82 are P226's!
  • only 10 shotguns of which 6 are Benelli M4s. so... that's something.
  • hates Beretta. The ONLY Beretta he has is a 40 cal one!
  • Much respect though on having 16 UZI's!
  • Biggest fanboy of Colt rifles: 336 Colts
Definitely a NES member.

It’s not. Criminals break into places for lots of different reasons and they follow the path of least resistance. If they want to try and use this to go after somebody’s shit then good luck to them. Hopefully your home security plan was in place before this.
But it is. You were saying that people are shitting their pants over nothing. You can figure out the database, so neither could criminals, and criminals will go after the houses without gun (I guess firearms is of no interest to criminals).

I am glad to hear you never leave your home and own the world's only impenetrable locks.

One problem: census does not contain anyone's birthday date. The only thing census asks for is the year of birth. In other words, what you wrote is not feasible
I was going off this summary ,but I think they mixed in voter registration data, as seen in this research paper.
Birthdate (month, day and year of birth), gender, and 5-digit postal code (ZIP) uniquely identifies most people in the United States. Surprised?
Perhaps at first, but then you do a quick calculation: 365 days in a year x 100 years x 2 genders = 73,000 unique combinations, and because most postal codes have fewer people, the surprise fades. Or, if you are still not convinced, there are more than 32,000 5-digit ZIP codes in the United States; so 73,000 x 32,000 is more than 2 billion possible combinations but there are only 310 million people in the United States. In 1997, Latanya Sweeney did this kind of uniform calculation on populations reported in the U.S. Census for age groups in each postal code and summed the results to predict that at most 87 percent of the U.S. population had unique combinations [1].

But it is. You were saying that people are shitting their pants over nothing. You can figure out the database, so neither could criminals, and criminals will go after the houses without gun (I guess firearms is of no interest to criminals).

I am glad to hear you never leave your home and own the world's only impenetrable locks.
Huh

In Healthcare they are PHI, and this database is supposedly being used for the guns public health crisis.
The data was requested through the "Freedom Of Information Act" or FOIA.
This is VERY different from what California did. In California, they passed a law that mandated that ALL firearms data be made available to researchers without having to file a FOIA request. You see, FOIA mandates that all PII must be removed. California wanted to screw gun owners and passed a law that allowed these so-called "researchers" to get the data without having to comply with FOIA.

A scroll through the registration list shows that some people are listing themselves as the manufacturer of a build, which puts their names and towns out there in the clear. Others are listing "None" as the manufacturer, and that's being accepted.

There would seem to be a cautionary tale in that.

Side note: Did anyone get one of the "sales" lists where all the data from "Zip Code" onward has not been shifted one column to the left (so Zip is in State, Weapon is in Zip, etc.)?

If any of y'all are waiting on your renewals (or new apps too), you might find your Application status as:

Activated by FRB - Pending Card Printing
Activated by FRB - Pending Delivery and Issue

That might cut some red tape getting your local PD to cough up your LTC (which often sits in a drawer for weeks at the PD because too lazy to call you in).

Geesh, ya'll are up in arms over something that is a nothingburger
  • All Personally Identifiable Information(PII) has been removed. There are no names of people or their addresses!
  • The data does include FFL business names, but that information is publicly available from the ATF or google maps.
  • The data was released as part of a FOIA request. The FOIA process is very rigorous when it comes to ensuring no PII is released
I am yet to see GOAL present an example of which data attributes in the dataset is actually "personally identifiable information). All they did is file a complain with references to MGL sections.

You're either pretty good at instigating (in which case, [high-five]), OR you're an idiot. Too soon for me to tell.

Not blow a gasket but you don’t think that’s a little f***ed up?
Before you get any further, here's an article by a pro-2A website that references a FOIA request approved in July of 2022 for this data:

This data has been around since July 2022! If anything, it shows that anti-gunners are liers!

I found myself pretty easily. Good to see that all that time I spent mailing paper FA10s back in the day means that nothing ended up in their database. I'm more worried about the shotgun they say I bought on a personal transfer almost a decade ago that never happened. If someone gifted me a shotgun, I sure would like to put it in the safe.
I noticed the same. None of my paper FA10s show up in the database as well.

I don't know, I am repeating what others said.
There are a ton of resources (many for pay) to fill in blanks based on partial data.

I'm half heartedly sanitizing the files to dump into a database to see what happens. If no squirrels run by the window I'll let you know more what I find.

I found myself pretty easily. Good to see that all that time I spent mailing paper FA10s back in the day means that nothing ended up in their database. I'm more worried about the shotgun they say I bought on a personal transfer almost a decade ago that never happened. If someone gifted me a shotgun, I sure would like to put it in the safe.
I have seen dealers fill the wrong gun + SN in an FA10.

It could be a gun you purchased, the FFL gave you the wrong FA10, you didn't notice.

Before you get any further, here's an article by a pro-2A website that references a FOIA request approved in July of 2022 for this data:

This data has been around since July 2022! If anything, it shows that anti-gunners are liers!
So who requested and who approved of releasing this mess? :mad:

Well seeing he is proud that he did it I think the biggest threat with this is actually gun owners on NES…wow!!!!

Well, but the problem here is that YOU were the one saying all this is nothing to worry about.

HE just showed you why this is something to worry about. It certainly is not just NESers who are able to do this.

I hope it helps.

I wonder how the public at large would react if a database like this that covered some other kind of personal information was released. Let's say prescriptions. You find a social media post from a coworker saying "Wow, the wait today for the Revere CVS pharmacy was 25 minutes long!" You look up the transactions for that day/location and find a user ID with a matching birthday. This lets you look up every medication that user ID has purchased for the last decade+. Now you know your coworker is bipolar, impotent, gassy, and has heart problems.

Geesh, ya'll are up in arms over something that is a nothingburger
  • All Personally Identifiable Information(PII) has been removed. There are no names of people or their addresses!
  • The data does include FFL business names, but that information is publicly available from the ATF or google maps.
  • The data was released as part of a FOIA request. The FOIA process is very rigorous when it comes to ensuring no PII is released
I am yet to see GOAL present an example of which data attributes in the dataset is actually "personally identifiable information). All they did is file a complain with references to MGL sections.
There is PII. I have to do training on this constantly.

PII is: "as any information that permits the identity of an individual to be directly or indirectly inferred, including any information that is linked or linkable to that individual, regardless of whether the individual is a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, visitor to the U.S., or employee or contractor to the Department."

Straight from DHS. The big issue here with this data release is just how easy it is to connect the dots ( i.e. indirectly inferred) to find legal gun owners in the state. There is no good reason for this data to be out there. FOIA is also not really rigorous as you make it seem. There are multiple reviews and stopgaps but things get out constantly, either purposefully or by accident.

You're also ignoring the fact that some poor souls used their own names as manufacturers/business name. That just sucks for them, but it's a lesson learned for the rest.

The fact that you would go on here and post somebodies property you don’t know after finding it on a list that was illegally made public is beyond f***ed up. Provide all the shit you want to try and back it up. It’s not criminals or the public that’s going to be the problem with this it’s rats like you.

A scroll through the registration list shows that some people are listing themselves as the manufacturer of a build, which puts their names and towns out there in the clear. Others are listing "None" as the manufacturer, and that's being accepted.

There would seem to be a cautionary tale in that.

Side note: Did anyone get one of the "sales" lists where all the data from "Zip Code" onward has not been shifted one column to the left (so Zip is in State, Weapon is in Zip, etc.)?
You can list whatever you want, the DB will accept it. Whether it is a good diea or not, that is a different issue.

I noticed the same. None of my paper FA10s show up in the database as well.
The database or whatever is not complete from what I saw. Years ago when I did my last LTC renewal the issuing officer showed me on his screen what I had registered/transferred in my name. Let's just say it wasnt complete. I think all the paper ones were also left off.

Definitely a NES member.
I had a friend who had a large collection of model train cars accumulated during his pre-retirement life. After retirement, he funded his retirement by selling off parts of his collection until his passing at age 87. His spouse continued selling off his collection to support herself and her children. Some of these train cars fetched close to $10,000. If you live in the Barnstable area, you might have run into him at the model train track in Hyannis.

Back
Top Bottom