If You Were Moving... (What to do with the safe?)

We are kicking around the possibility of moving. Kids are long gone. Watching our high-80s/low-90s parents cope with mobility issues. Smaller house and possibility of single-floor living seems smart. But that means selling this house, and one of the issues is having realtors and house-shoppers wandering through the house. I'm interested in hearing how people have dealt with, for example, the gun safe. Throw a blanket over it? Cover it with NRA stickers? Other ideas...?

My safe isn't a labeled safe so it wasn't much of an issue in that respect. However, I did relocate all my firearms and ammo to a licensed friend until after we moved.

On one hand, I'd want to leave it visible to scare moonbats into not buying my house. I wouldn't want to introduce one into my neighborhood..I like my neighbors. On the other hand, I don't want to show strangers where my guns are.

I say empty the safe and store the guns and ammo elsewhere, and otherwise leave the safe undisturbed to scare moonbats away.

It kind of depends on where you have the safe set up. I know that isn't a great answer. If it's in a closet, you're good to go. Put a key lock on the door and post the closet dimensions on the outside of the door.

I prefer to not have safes out in the open to begin with... so if it's possible to push it in to a corner and make it looks like a big box or something besides a safe, that would be the first choice.

Good comments. It's in the basement, in a very out of the way corner off my work room. I may take the sticker off it for starters - not a bad idea even if we never move. Lower profile is almost always better than higher profile.

Print this out really large?

0c52203cd039fc913073c3883b212bc2.jpg

For most of the libs in the world, a big safe is just a big place to keep jewelry and valuables. They won't even think of it as a gun safe. For those who recognize it for what it is, it will be a selling point (if you leave it).

got a dog? tie him up down there in your work room. tell the clients you put him there to keep him from getting underfoot. they won't go near the area.

I hired Eastern Security Safe to move mine. They were expensive (it worked out to over $300/hour for their 3 man crew), but they did an exceptional job and did not do any damage to the safe, the from house or the to house. In fact, they make moving a 1400lb safe look so easy you wonder if someone could just walk off with it.

If you show a house with a safe, particularly if you have already moved out the furniture, it's a good idea to put a sign "not include with sale of house" on the safe if you plan to have it moved before the closing.

When looking at houses we saw a few safes in peoples closets, just figured there were some guns in it, cash, jewelry and forgot about it. I'd not worry about it.

We almost moved recently. I went to UHAUL and bought a garment box. They are large, tall boxes. I put it together and it slid right over the safe like a glove. No one was any the wiser. This post is more for hiding it for showings, etc.

To the people that hid their safes (or are recommending doing so)... Did you hide the kitchen knives too?? How about your TV? I don't understand the 'need' to hide a farkin safe. At most, if asked about it, it doesn't go with the place (unless they pay you enough to replace it) and it's none of their farkin business what's inside it. That goes for the realtor as well as people looking at the place. If anyone asks about what's in the 'gun safe' at MOST, I would ask why they want to know. Depending on their answer, it's either going to be NoYFB or a conversation starter (for the pro-2A people).

To the people that hid their safes (or are recommending doing so)... Did you hide the kitchen knives too?? How about your TV? I don't understand the 'need' to hide a farkin safe. At most, if asked about it, it doesn't go with the place (unless they pay you enough to replace it) and it's none of their farkin business what's inside it. That goes for the realtor as well as people looking at the place. If anyone asks about what's in the 'gun safe' at MOST, I would ask why they want to know. Depending on their answer, it's either going to be NoYFB or a conversation starter (for the pro-2A people).

Why? Because I have no idea who is coming into my house. Anyone can go to an open house and people do...paranoid maybe but you never know who is scoping out a house. Or even if no one is, you never know who saw your house and safe and may mention it to the wrong person. I know what you are saying...I am not hiding it because I am afraid of scaring someone...I just don't trust strangers in my house I guess.

Last edited:
If worried about scaring buyers I wouldn't really worry about it, its not a coffin. Its not like the guns or whatever someone might think is in the safe will linger and haunt them.

If anything make sure if you intend to take the safe with you it is known that the safe doesn't come with the house. If I was looking at a house and it had a sweet safe I'd ask if it could stay.

If you are worried about someone getting ideas to rob you and you can't fully hide the safe, turn the safe around so the controls to open it face away, maybe some people wouldn't immediately think its a gun safe, maybe just a metal cabinet and put a sheet over it.

Last edited:
We moved from CT not too long ago. I had a whole half of the downstairs as my gun/reloading room, there wasn't any feasible way to "hide" the fact that the owners(us) were pro gun, pro hunting conservatives. Even if I had hidden the safe, ( 50 gun 1,500lb) I think a bench full of Dillons and lots of dead animals on the walls would have given it away. Sure strangers are coming into our home for open houses and showings, but thats just how it is. Turned out to wok in our favor. People either (A) Didn't care, or (B)Commented in the affirmative (C) The guy saw that as a hobby room and wanted to turn it into a sports room. I heard that he put a keg where my fridge was under my reloading bench, hung several flat screens where my ammo displays were and a glass display case where my safe was.

Why? Because I have no idea who is coming into my house. Anyone can go to an open house and people do...paranoid maybe but you never know who is scoping out a house. Or even if no one is, you never know who saw your house and safe and may mention it to the wrong person. I know what you are saying...I am not hiding it because I am afraid of scaring someone...I just don't trust strangers in my house I guess.

If the realtor you're using, or the agency, hasn't vetted people being shown, then you need to use someone else. They can only do an 'open house' if YOU agree to it.

If you're that paranoid, then get a new house before you start showing the current one. Or move your guns into a storage unit.

Maybe I'm just too much into the NH mindset where we don't expect everyone to be a screaming moonbat and scared of anything gun related.

You, my friend, are a genius. :D

Print this out really large?

0c52203cd039fc913073c3883b212bc2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's probably the real answer. Too paranoid. ;)

When looking at houses we saw a few safes in peoples closets, just figured there were some guns in it, cash, jewelry and forgot about it. I'd not worry about it.

For most of the libs in the world, a big safe is just a big place to keep jewelry and valuables. They won't even think of it as a gun safe. For those who recognize it for what it is, it will be a selling point (if you leave it).

I know they can't force an open house...in fact I didn't do any...but you can't vet who is coming for private showings. Even with private showings we had a lot of people doing stuff to our house...like:

1. Someone took the comforter off our bed and put it back the wrong way
2. Someone made a hole in our walk in closet ceiling and tried to hide it
3. Food gone from refrigerator
4. Various items moved from their original spot (someone saw the need to rearrange my daughters stuff animals)

There was more too just can't think of them.

Not just while selling a house, but why advertise the location of any safe or high value item?

I'm not just talking about when people you know are in the house or when showing it for selling, what about a break in? Smash and grab thieves are in and out as quickly as possible. They're looking for high value targets while quickly going room to room. If they don't see a safe or don't know it's a safe, then they'll move on.

Same here. Loose lips sink ships. I had neighbors robbed due to loose lips talking about travel plans in public places. People can use an open house to scope out places to rob . . . you're lucky if real estate agents lock the doors on the way out, no way I'd expect them to reset the alarm system.

If worried about scaring buyers I wouldn't really worry about it, its not a coffin. Its not like the guns or whatever someone might think is in the safe will linger and haunt them.

If anything make sure if you intend to take the safe with you it is known that the safe doesn't come with the house. If I was looking at a house and it had a sweet safe I'd ask if it could stay.

If you are worried about someone getting ideas to rob you and you can't fully hide the safe, turn the safe around so the controls to open it face away, maybe some people wouldn't immediately think its a gun safe, maybe just a metal cabinet and put a sheet over it.

It's not scaring potential buyers, it's sharing too much info and if they mention it to others with nefarious intent, a house robbery is a distinct possibility.

Laughable that you can turn around a large gun safe weighing 1000+. I don't think so. Perhaps you can do that with the Stack-On cabinets but not a real RSC safe.

If the realtor you're using, or the agency, hasn't vetted people being shown, then you need to use someone else. They can only do an 'open house' if YOU agree to it.

If you're that paranoid, then get a new house before you start showing the current one. Or move your guns into a storage unit.

Maybe I'm just too much into the NH mindset where we don't expect everyone to be a screaming moonbat and scared of anything gun related.

Again not worried about scaring someone just not going to show what's good to steal to unknown folks.

My plan is to buy a new house first, move all my stuff out to the new house and put an empty house on the market, just for this reason. Luckily I've been planning on this for a long time (no idea when however) and expect to be in a position to do this by getting a home equity loan on existing house to be able to buy a house for cash and then paying it off when this one sells.

I sold my house a few weeks ago. Left the safe in place (locked) and realtors showed the house. House sold within 3 weeks. If the potential buyers didn't like it that was their problem and they moved on. Not looking for moonbats in infest a good neighborhood.

Last edited:
a real RSC safe
Oxymoron Alert

My plan is to buy a new house first, move all my stuff out to the new house and put an empty house on the market, just for this reason.
I did that, but it took a while to get the safe moved. I removed everything else from the house, no hint of "gun stuff" and taped a sign to the safe "safe not included with house sale". Worked out just fine.

Sold a house in Boston before with a big "gun"-safe in the house, no f**** was given by the buyer.

It's just a SAFE people.

*maybe because the buyer were aware that the home owner was a cop, i dunno.

Interesting question I was faced with in March. I ended up bringing everything to my parents house but only because I was trying to get stuff out in general. If someone opts not to buy ur house because of that the. Who cares.

Back
Top Bottom