if you had to pick one AK clone

...would it be a norinco mak90 or a romanian wasr???

i already have a mak90 that i have shot probably over 1000 rounds through and havent cleaned it yet and its never missed a beat

looking for another gun to beat on as well...the mak90s are a little bit more....should i spend the extra $100?

I have a MAK90 and a WASR10. They are both ultra reliable, but the MAK90 is a lot better to shoot. Much better trigger and a bit more accurate. The WASR10 is a real beater. Sometimes it is nice to have a gun that you really do not care about.

I'd rather have the MAK90, but IMO I just think they're finished/fitted
better than a WASR. If I was going romanian I would try to find a
SAR-1. Nothing against the WASRs, but I'd rather have a gun that
has the magwell dimples already in place instead of the retrofit job.

The problem with MAK-90s is the price seems to have escalated on the
ones that are still floating around. I saw one at FS a long time ago
for like $325 and I should have grabbed it!

Rumor has it some of the newer WASRs are coming with TAPCO trigger
groups already in them, so that sweetens the deal a little bit, because
that is undoubtedly the worst part of the romy AK rifles, which was
trigger slap.

-Mike

No question about it, MAK90. It takes some work to swap in enough
US parts to keep the trigger, but it is worth it. It has the nicest AK
trigger out there and the fit and finish is very good. Finding a straight-
back receiver is the real key with a MAK. The angle-cut receiver limits
your stock choices immensely.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15357&highlight=evil

mak90_2.JPG

Bulgarian made, milled receiver Arsenal SLR-95, one of the more accurate ak's made. Price will show for it. Thumbhole stock shown, but I now have the pistol grip on it. Meets us parts count.

000_0050.jpg

You can still find SAR1s for a fair price. At one gun show beginning of the year or last year, can't remember, I saw a few under $350.
There is something to be said though about Norinco quality. Their SKS' are some of the best made and most accurate ones I think.
I only have an SAR1 but if I were to get another clone, the only way I'd get a WASR is if that was the only AK I could find for under $400. No knock on Romanian AKs but its probably one of the lesser quality ones out there today. In the long run though its still an AK and could be beaten into the ground, packed with dirt, brushed off, and still shoot all day long.[grin]

On a related note... Man I wish I was in a free state where I could get one of the cheap Yugo M70s.[sad2]

Guess I really don't have a preference, the only AK clone I own is a MAADI, and it shoots straight enough for my skills. If I was looking for another I think I might shop around for something with a milled receiver instead of stamped, but that's only so I would have one of each.

I recently read an article on the Finnish RK 95, which is supposedly the best. Anyone shot one? I think the semi-auto version is labeled the M92S. I understand tht they're hard to come by.

Back
Top Bottom