IDPA shoot at Riverside Gun Club writeup

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Sunday, May 22, 2005 – the alarm went off at 7:15 AM so that I could get to Riverside Gun Club by 8:30. At 9:00 AM, Riverside would be running an IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) shoot.

IDPA is about using a pistol the way the way it was meant to be used – for close range combat against multiple targets. (go to http://www.idpa.com for more info).

I checked in and paid my $15 and signed my waiver (hey, there are live guns there, so just in case I die, I promise not to sue), and greeted the guys. I’ve been shooting IDPA at Riverside since we started to run these, so I know most of the guys. Eugene was one of our Range Safety Officers today, with his Israeli accent and his bright orange RSO hat. The other officers were Chris, (a Director of the club), Ken (who wrote the scenarios for today), Jon (a GOAL director) and Darius… my lawyer. (he was shooting a Sig-Sauer P226 – don’t mess with him; he hits what he aims at.)

We split up into 3 groups; there were 5 scenarios to run and we had 3 places to run them.

The first scenario was a weak hand shoot. Six targets in 2 parts. “The Bill Collector” has punched your strong (right) arm, so you have to defend yourself against him and his friends with the weak hand… and after disposing of him & his two friends, three more of his friends come at you. With your pistol in your weak hand (left for me), at the buzzer I had to engage one target with 2 rounds, run to cover while engaging a second target, then fire at a third target from behind a panel (that represented a tree or some kind of cover you’d find outdoors). After an administrative reload (that means that it didn’t count towards my total time), I had to engage 3 more targets from behind cover in “tactical sequence”. (as I leaned out from behind cover enough to see a target, I shoot at it. Basically, you shoot the targets you see as you see them.).

Second scenario was another two-stage one – “Encounter at the Stop ‘N Rob.” From behind cover, I had to engage 2 targets with two rounds in “tactical order” – shoot one once, shoot the other one once, then shoot each one once again. So it was shoot left-hand target once (this was still shooting with the weak hand), then the right hand one twice, then the left-hand one one more time and then both in the head. (scenario was that the two attackers were high on PCP, which is why the head shots). The next part was to shoot at 3 attackers while in the prone position, hiding behind a curb. This was supposed to be done in tactical order, but I goofed up and did it two rounds at each target instead of one round each… earned myself a procedural error for that. :-(

Stage three was a wild one – you started seated in a chair, blindfolded with your hands tied loosely behind you! At the buzzer, you shook off the rope around your wrists, pulled the blindfold down and ran to a table in front of you with a 12GA shotgun (loaded with a round of #6 birdshot) and an unloaded S&W Model 686 .357 Magnum revolver. Shoot a steel “pepper popper” target (when you hit it it falls over), eject the spent shell (it was a pump shotgun), load the .357 with 4 rounds and engage 2 targets with 2 rounds each, then eject the spent shells, then run to a piece of carpeting and fire 4 rounds from an SAR (kind of like an AK-47 - semi-auto version) at two more targets. What a rush!!! That was a blast!

Stage 4… completely escapes my memory at the moment - suffering from CRS syndrome.

Stage 5 the scenario was that you were at a local park, went to the water fountain and came back to find your significant other on the ground and 3 muggers going after him/her. You had to fire at 3 targets in tactical sequence from your knees – we ran this three ways: once free-form, once strong hand only, and once weak hand only. I missed one of the targets completely with my left hand… gotta practice more weak hand shooting.

Anyway, it was a great morning. As I said before, I’ve been shooting with these folks for a couple of years now, so it was kind of a coming home in a sense… or going to Cheers, “where everybody knows your name”. Those of us who weren’t shooting stood around talking or watching the others shoot. Talking guns and gear, mostly.

So… if this sounds like fun to you, there’s a class on IDPA on August 27th at Riverside for beginners who might be comfortable just coming to a match or a practice… or you can come to the practices held on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month. It's a great bunch who will be more than happy to explain IDPA to you and suck in another innocent victim... Um... I mean, "get someone else interested in this great sport"!

Ross

WOW Sounds like a blast!

Once I get in some good practice I might have to give this type of thing a try!

Adam

Crazy Neddie,

What was the justification for shooting through the barrel? What was it supposed to simulate?

Just wondering.

Ross

I assume it was supposed to represent like a giant pipe, the kind you see at Contsruction sites, but I can tell you it is unpleasant having your head and weapon in the barrel while firing....it really stunned me the first shot, the sound was so sharp it disoriented me a little bit. Gpood question, I wish I had the correct answer for you.

I had a blast at the match. That was my first time shooting a shotgun on poppers and first time with an AK pattern rifle. I'm hooked!

I can recommend Chris's intro class. That's how I started and I've been coming back ever since.

Obviously you were there, DR... did we meet? I was shooting a stainless Para... and I was the guy who brought his own chair to sit down in between stages. (yes, my icon is a pic of me... sorta. At least it's my face. :)

Ross

Yep, we chatted briefly. I was the longhair shooting a stainless Kahr.

Have you tried the classifier yet? I shot it at the last practice and it's not as easy as it sounds from the course of fire description. I expected to have trouble with the 20 yard shots at the end. It ended up being the close stuff at the beginning that I dropped the most points on. Go figure.

Dave

I tried the classifier last year,I think. I was going to shoot it Thursday nght, but the weather was so sucky that I didn't think that anyone would be there... and unfortunately I have other committments for the next practice and the match on the 25th...

Actually, I might just make the match on the 25th, but I'll be pretty bleary-eyed if I do as I will have just returned from Alaska late on the 24th.

Ross

I tried the classifier last year,I think. I was going to shoot it Thursday nght, but the weather was so sucky that I didn't think that anyone would be there
It wasn't that bad. It didn't really rain until we were on the third stage. Scoring sheets did turn into a mess, though.

I'll give you one guess as to what I was shooting (badly) [wink]

Hello all, Me and a buddy of mine are thinking of getting into IDPA and have talked to some folks who shoot at Bass River on the Cape but there is no way I'll sit in Sunday afternoon traffic to go home. We have read up on New Bedford but where is Riverside? And what is their summer schedule? If I am remembering correctly New Bedford is on the 3rd Sunday. The folks on the Cape speak highly of the New Bedford guys. It seems like the community is fairly small much like the sporting clays circle that I am fairly involved in. Any info from anyone would be appreciated. I have a 1911 and a Fobus that I'll use and was planning on shooting Winchester white box or PMC, both FMJ. Also any ideas on what to wear would be great, summer concealment clothes are scarce for me. Thanks in advance, John

Riverside Gun Club is located in Hudson, MA, about 5 minutes from the intersection of I495 and I290. Here's the URL: www.riversidegc.org

I've been a member for about 17 years, and it's a great club. Lots of outdoor and a few indoor ranges. With the exception of the clubhouse bar - if you're a non-smoker you need a gasmask and a veil. Then you can breathe... long as you don't inhale. I think I'm going to run for the board this year so that the non-smokers have another voice on the board...

Ross

IDPA is something that I am getting more and more interested in. Could someone please either give me a link, or let me know exactly what I would need to get started, and when there will be a good event so I can at least stop by and have a look?

Thanks
Adam

Sure.

www.idpa.com is the home page for the International Defensive Pistol Association. (Jeez, someone should have told me that the link in the original post didn't work...) http://www.riversidegc.org/IDPA/IDPAHome.htm is a local club in Hudson, MA, that has practices on the second and fourth Thursdays from 5:30 until it's too dark to shoot. They also have one sanctioned match a month.

What you need... is a pistol in 9mm or bigger caliber, semi auto or revolver (4" barrel or shorter for the revolver), at least 2 magazines or speedloaders, a holster that is used for concealed carry (pancake, IWB, etc - NOT a kydex holster - you can find the rules at the IDPA site), some way to conceal your gun - vest, jacket, untucked shirt, and a couple of boxes of ammo. Oh, yeah, eye and ear protection are a must, too. That's about it.

So... the next practice will be at Riverside next Thursday, June 9th. Alas, I will not be there, as I have Lodge that night, but they're a VERY friendly bunch who will be more than happy to show a new shooter how IDPA works.

Ross

Thanks for the info..
Maybe a stupid question, but why isn't Kydex allowed? I just ordered an IWB Kydex holster from Sidearmor and it says "The Classic IWB holster series is approved for use in IDPA competition."

Thanks again
Adam

Kydex is legal, but apparently the offset of many of the kydex ones makes them stand out too far from the body. However, I don't remember anyone doing any holster checks at the last match at Riverside - there's a lot of honor system in IDPA.

Anyway, with the new rules in place since April, there are no officially approved holsters; instead, they must meet certain criteria:

General rules:
A. Practical for self-defense use.
B. Concealable - All equipment will be so placed that, when wearing an open concealment garment with your arms extended to your sides and parallel to the ground, it can NOT been seen from the front, rear or sides.
C. Must be suitable for and worn in a manner that is appropriate for all day continuous wear.

Here are the rules for holsters:
A. Must be designed for concealed carry and suitable for all day continuous wear.
B. Must be worn on a standard belt of no more than 1 ¾” width that must pass through the belt loops on the shooter’s pants.
C. Must fully cover the trigger of the firearm.
D. Must carry the firearm in a neutral (vertical) or muzzle rear cant, but have no adjustable cant backpieces. Holster cant that is adjustable by removing bolts and repositioning the backpiece is allowed. Exception: IWB style holsters do not have to meet this particular criterion.
E. Must hold the firearm with enough tension to allow the wearer to complete normal daily tasks without fear of losing the weapon.
F. Can have no offset backpieces and/or belt slots. The holster may not offset away from the belt and/or body. No gap is permitted in the following areas:
1. From the body to the inside of the belt.
2. From the outside of the belt to the inside of the backpiece and/or backside of the holster.
3. From the outside of the backpiece to the inside of the holster.
If you look through the belt slot area of the holster with it on the belt/body, you should not be able to see any daylight. If you can see through this belt tunnel area, the holster is not approved.
Holster/backpiece must be constructed of “normal thickness” common holster making materials, no filler is allowed to hide an offset. In simple terms, the back of the holster must be held tightly against the outside of the belt for proper concealed carry (for questions, refer to #1 above and re-read the “Purpose” section in the front of this rulebook).¹

G. Must be constructed of normal thickness common holster making materials (leather, Kydex, plastic, nylon, etc.).
H. May not position the firearm where the breech face (autos) or rear of the cylinder (revolvers) is below the center of the belt. NO drop loops are permitted.³ Holsters for females may position the breech face of a pistol or rear of the cylinder of a revolver up to 1 ½” below the center of the belt.
NOTE: IWB style holsters are exempt from this criterion.
I. Must hold the firearm positioned on the body so an object of ¾”width cannot pass between the shooter’s body and the inside of the firearm when the shooter is standing straight and upright.²
J. Must be positioned on the belt in a location that will keep the center of the trigger pad behind the centerline of the body.
NOTE: Modification of current holsters and ammunition carriers to meet IDPA criteria is acceptable.
NOT Permitted:
A. Cross Draw Holsters.
B. Shoulder Holsters.
C. Small of the Back Holsters.
D. Holsters designed and/or marketed as “competition” models.
E. Muzzle forward or ‘on the belt’ adjustable cant holsters. Those that allow the cant to be adjusted by the shooter while the holster is on the belt are not allowed.
NOTE: Holsters with an adjustable cant via removal of bolts and repositioning of the backpiece are approved if set for neutral or muzzle rear cant.
F. Drop loop holsters.³
G. Positioning of the firearm where the breech face (autos) or the rear of the cylinder (revolvers) is below the center of the belt.³
H. Cutting of the front edge of the holster more that 1¾” below the breech face on pistols or 1” below the rear of the cylinder on revolvers.
I. Offset back-pieces and/or belt slots.³
J. Gap in the following areas:

1. From the body to the inside of the belt.
2. From the outside of the belt to the inside of the backpiece and/or backside of the holster.
3. From the outside of the back-piece to the inside of the holster.³

K. Seeing daylight when looking through the belt slot area of the holster with it on the belt/body.³
L. Any type of filler to hide an offset.
Exception – Police or military officers may use their duty rig, but ALL retention features of the holster MUST be used and all belt equipment (mace, handcuffs, etc.) must be present.
¹ NOTE: Holsters for females are exempt from F. criteria, but may not cant the handgun away from the body past 90 ° to the ground.
² NOTE: Female shooters are exempt from this test.
³ NOTE: Female shooters are exempt from this criterion.
4 NOTE: The seam on the side of a shooter’s pants may or may not indicate where the centerline of a shooter’s body is located. For IDPA purposes, the centerline of the body originates in the center of the armpit and goes straight down.

Here's the link for the whole rule book http://www.idpa.com/rulebook/IDPARuleBook2005.htm

Ross

Adam:

Check out the national website at www.idpa.com. That will give you the big picture. For the local info, try www.downzero.com.

Anyone who is serious about getting into the sport should sign-up for the upcoming class at Riverside gun club in Hudson, MA (www.riversidegc.org). The next scheduled class is August 27th, but by all means join us for our informal practices - second and fourth Thursday evening of each month - and our monthly match/classifier. The season IDPA schedule is on the website.

If you have any other specific questions after checking out these sites, send me an email. The address is under "contacts" on the Riverside website.

Ken Kennedy
Chairman, Rifle & Pistol Cmte
Riverside Gun Club

Ken,
Thanks for the info and the invitation. I don't think I would be able to make it to the first practice this month, but I will try to make it to the next one.

Thanks again
Adam

Hi guys. I've been to a few practices on Thursdays there as well. Awesome times and great, friendly people- I encourage folks to at least try it out- if you plan on using your hangun for self defense and/or carry it's a great way to learn more than just putting holes in pieces of paper that don't even move. [wink]

Take it for what it is worth, but at Riverside's IDPA club matches and practices we never check holsters for compliance with IDPA regs.

Similarly, at the several state and regional matches I have attended, no one checks there either.

Riverside IDPA...

Rule #1 - We do it for fun FIRST

Rule #2 - Everyone shoots

Seriously, We don't award any spectacular prizes beyond bragging rights. If you want to game at a local club match, you are only hurting yourself. During matches, I do check equipment, but usually I only see holsters and ammo carriers too far forward. On practice nights, I'm just looking for people to be safe. I don't know what other match directors do when they run shoots.

On match days, I can't score you if you can't comply with the rules, but you can still shoot and have fun. (if your rule violation is not also a safety violation) and you will be encouraged to correct whatever is amiss.

The last thing I wanted was to create too strict a program that people didn't feel comfortable just joining in. I think we do a great job maintaining the balance so that serious shooters have a good place to come and hone skills while casual shooters can have a good time. If not, I must have completely intimidated everyone because I've not heard any complaints. (^_^)

About the only thing that is strict and does not relax is safety.

Class on the 27th is full. We'll be running another sometime in April.

Chris Siano, the Riverside IDPA Director, runs a helluva IDPA club.

It is as welcoming as you could ever ask for, while encourging safety and skills development.

Great outfit!

Chris just confirmed for me that I'm in for their IDPA class on the 27th. He's been great answering my questions. By all accounts these guys run a first class program.

At the risk of sounding like a kid, I'm totally psyched for the event. Just ordered two spare magazines for my daily carry SW99 .40 compact.

The 27th can't get here quick enough!

Steve

Ozman said:
Chris just confirmed for me that I'm in for their IDPA class on the 27th. He's been great answering my questions. By all accounts these guys run a first class program.

At the risk of sounding like a kid, I'm totally psyched for the event. Just ordered two spare magazines for my daily carry SW99 .40 compact.

The 27th can't get here quick enough!

Steve

If you don't yet have a holster for your gun, and a mag holster for one or two mags, now might be the time to get them.

There are lots and lots of good choices out there. I recommend the gear by Uncle Mike's (kydex), Safarailand (pouch style), or Fobus.

Cross-X said:
If you don't yet have a holster for your gun, and a mag holster for one or two mags, now might be the time to get them.

There are lots and lots of good choices out there. I recommend the gear by Uncle Mike's (kydex), Safarailand (pouch style), or Fobus.

Cross-X, thanks. I do already have an Uncle Mikes Cordura double mag holster from my bro when he switched over to leather duty gear. Its the kind that can be worn vertically or horizintally and is very concealable. I also have a Fobus Kydex paddle holster for this gun. Seems to fit the IDPA rules.

I appreciate the heads up though. I only had the two mags that came with the gun, so the class was a good excuse to buy two more. I prefer the curved buttplate style so I can relegate the flat bottomed one I have to "barney mag" duty.

The only other thing I really need to spend money on right now is some proper shooting glasses. Someone else on this baord suggested the ESS "ICE' glasses. Gunner Alley has them at a great price and I can get the prescription insert for them. Suppose I may as well do that today too! Will probably call Four Seasons first, just to see if they have them.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom