IDPA shoot at Riverside Gun Club writeup

I'll probably be there with my PPK and my Para... but I don't know if I'll be shooting. Got my left leg in a walking brace and I'm starting 8 weeks of short term disability so I can get my foot healed up... so I probably shouldn't shoot.

Unless Chris comes up with a seated stage like the one I saw pictured in this month's Combat Handguns - a scenario where you fire seated at a table. Meant to simulate a restaurant shootout.

But I'll probably come to hang out.

Ross

Sorry no seated items in Thursday's training. I needed to get the movement drills done.

Also, no porta-potty stages although there were requests to "Try the blockhouse". However, I am working with an idea that I got from that little clip that might indeed prove interesting. Guess you'll have to attend the match to see what diabolical plan I have.

I'm still amazed at how many people who have taken professional instruction still move in directions they are not looking (because they are foused on the front sight and target) and still commit their weight before they step.

Normal walking is in effect a controlled fall as you fall forward and then catch yourself by reaching out with your foot. The very reason people trip and fall is due to the interruption of the 'catch' and the body continuing their fall.

Last nights training was geared to getting people moving in lateral and reverse directions while shooting in an attept for them to properly use their feet to check for obstructions before commiting themselves.

I am so tempted to set out a series of 'curbs' during the match just to make people be more aware of their footing. Then again, I don't want to have to keep catching people who trip and fall with loaded guns in their hands....

Sorry Ross, you're just not my type to have falling into my arms... (^_^)

We'll see how this works out, but I might have to scrap that skill test for safety reasons.

I have so much fun at these practice nights, not just for getting to cover all kinds of skills, but so that I can try out several things to make my match stages as polished as I can.

(Our next two practice nights are by SIGN-UP only. Preferences given to Riverside and IDPA members. (Membership has it's privledges) 12 slots both nights for a seminar and practice on the indoor range for Low Light tactics. Instructor will be Joe Pacariello, long time State Police handgun tactics instructor. Shooters MUST attend a Riverside IDPA event to sign up for these practice nights and prior safe gun handling must be demonstated. Standard $5 practice night fee. Contact me via e-mail for details.)

Back
Top Bottom