Identification

Brent said:
Last October, when I was flying down to Florida, I was in the middle of my Drivers Licence renewal so all I had was a slip, in addition to that my passport is expired as well. When I approched the TSA agent with my ticket, she asked for my Drivers licence which I gave. She said do you have any other valid form of ID or passport since your Drivers licence was expired. I said I did not have my Passport, for it was expired as well. But then handed her my LTC. She had asked what that was. I told her it was my State issued Licence to Carry fire arms licence. She had asked if I was carrying right now and I told her no and she sent me on my way.

So if you can use it at the Airport, then It should be valid as a form of ID. :)

You should have said "NO!" and then ran through the check point and down the terminal. [rofl]

derek said:
You should have said "NO!" and then ran through the check point and down the terminal. [rofl]
No way!!! Then they would have tackled him, and given him a body cavity search and THAT ain't fun...

HO SHIT, wait! We ARE talking about Brent here...
Never mind! [devil2]

Lynne said:
State law prohibits asking for an additional ID with a credit card purchase, unless your signature is not on the back of the card, and ONLY then. It's against the law to request an additional ID for CC purchases if your signature is on the CC (or debit card with Visa logo). That law changed a number of years ago when Ed and I had the store.

Does that mean that they can't ask for a DL, or they can't ask for anything other than a DL?

C-pher said:
Can you use that to get a new card that's upgraded??
I've tried everything except actually putting in the application. Every time I talk to the Detective he says that the Chief won't override the Issuing Officer. But this week I'm just going to say "screw it" and apply. The worst that will happen is that I make a $100 donation to the state and I get a Sporting and Target with my legal name on it.

They are "supposed to" do a replacement for damaged or lost LTCs for FREE under the new system. I'll still bet that a fair percentage of PDs will charge us the $100 though . . . since nobody but a lawyer can stop them!

Jen, let me check on what can be done in your situation. I'll ask the "boss man" (Ron Glidden).

dwarven1 said:
Does that mean that they can't ask for a DL, or they can't ask for anything other than a DL?

Actually, due to lack of sleep, I err'd. The law changed for check writing, not Credit cards. If you write a check, you can't be asked for a CC as another form of ID. Sorry bout that. However, it still stands that they can ask for another pic ID for a credit card not signed, and one that has your signature on it. As a suggestion for the credit card not being signed. I've signed mine, but I also have in block letters "ASK FOR ID". Then I show my LTC. [smile]

All in all, gun licenses CAN be used as a valid ID. If whoever asks for it doesn't take it, they're being a pr*ck.

Jen,

I just got a response from Ron Glidden regarding your issue. Here's the straight scoop!

CHSB is working out the name change issue. I don't expect it to get done anytime soon

Also:

• Your current LTC is still valid until expiration
  • You can pay the $100 and get a new LTC with (hopefully) no restrictions and new name/town at any time. [Comment: Check with chief before plunking down cash, I've heard that some will refuse even though law allows for it.]

HTH

LenS said:
Jen,

I just got a response from Ron Glidden regarding your issue. Here's the straight scoop!

Also:

• Your current LTC is still valid until expiration
  • You can pay the $100 and get a new LTC with (hopefully) no restrictions and new name/town at any time. [Comment: Check with chief before plunking down cash, I've heard that some will refuse even though law allows for it.]

HTH
Thanks Len. I'm going to call the PD in a bit and make an appointment. Worst that will happen is he'll say no, or they'll take my money and run. Which in that case, it's only money and at least I tried.

I've used my LTC as ID before. I've tried using it in a few different situations. Using it as ID for a credit card has worked. I used it as a second ID at a bar before (because of those stupid paper temporary driver's licenses!) and it worked fine. Once when I lived in CT, I misplaced my DL and gave my LTC to the bartender as an ID form...needless to say, after the manager came over, gave me a real hard time about accepting it, and then made me lift my shirt because of the bulge under my shirt (it was my cell phone on a belt clip, though the ignorant bastard didn't even notice the IWB holster with my PPK-S behind it [grin]), he finally said he would accept it as ID "since I wasn't armed." Well, I never went back there.

Last edited:
Cross-X said:
I don't drink in the kind of bars where I have to go in armed, either.

There used to be a rather rough bar just a little bit off the southern edge of Ft. Bragg, NC.

How rough was it you ask?

Well, when you went in they frisked you. If you didn't have a gun or a knife on you they'd give you one.

About 5 years ago, I was in Citizens Bank, in Kenmore Square, getting a bank check; while the cashier was retrieving the check from a printer, I saw a sign hanging inside her work area, listing the acceptable forms of ID, and LTCs were listed.

Back
Top Bottom