ATF Formally releases new proposed definition of "Frame or Receiver” and Identification of Firearms

Gun laws have nothing to do with stopping crime. It’s all about keeping grip on power and fear of the people.

The real question you should ask is: what is it they intend to do to us that would get them shot if they tried it now?
Who is they/them? The ATF or "the people"?

It also enables selective enforcement. A very nice tool to use against their political enemies.
Great point. This grey area is where a lot of "stuff happens".

... My belief is nothing has changed from this perspective, so any change in the legality of the kits isn't going to have an impact beyond infringement for the law abiding.
True. The gun isn't the criminal.

You're asking the right question. The answer is, "Whatever the powers that be want it to be."
Yes. Ambiguity, selective enforcement, grey areas. THIS is how they keep you in check, if you let them.

This is yet another racist attempt by the Biden and ATF to make gun ownership so expensive, it disarms people of the lower economic ladder. A staggering 18.8% of African-Americans live below the poverty line. The median income in 2019 for a black family is 45,438. These people can hardly afford hundreds of dollars in fees the government levies just to have the ability to defend themselves. 10%-11% tax is levied on the sale of firearms making them less accessible to minorities. With Polymer80, a handy and thrifty(think Black Friday sales) individual could build themselves a Glock for less than $400. Now Biden wants to remove that possibility by forcing people to "serialize" their guns within a limited amount of time. Imagine gunsmiths getting overloaded with orders to serialize. Imagine the price they will charge when people have no choice but to pay or go defenseless.
In other words, Joe Biden is the new Jim Crow.
To your last line, Dems are ALWAYS what they say the other side is. And in more ways than one.

Hard to believe that there isn't one operating machine operator
on NES who disdains people that buy kits
instead of lovingly choosing each component,
like Granny Warren shopping for artisinal cheeses
at Cardullo's in Harvard Square.

Rule 2016-1 says:

Upon discontinuance of business, the licensee ... must print out the required records or download them to a physical storage device ... The complete printout or download must provide an ... (ASCII) text file ... containing all acquisition and disposition records, and a file description. The complete printout or downloaded ASCII text file (and file description) must contain all information prescribed by regulation.
What they think they're mandating:

Text in columnar or paragraphed format
with record fields strictly defined in a schema ("file description").

What the FFL could actually provide:
Their entire acquisition/disposition database extracted as a text file,
fed through a typographic fill filter
that packs the maximum number of words on a single line
(regardless of original record boundaries) as a monolithic giant paragraph,
rsz_sentence.png

and printed as a hardcopy on thermal-sensitive paper notorious for fading quickly.
58vqrg.jpg

OK then. I'm gonna go over my physics textbooks and start building my phased plasma rifle in the 40Watt range. Federal or state laws got nothing on me.
Just don't infringe any of @Skysoldier's patents.

You can put the serial number on your own gun....There’s a depth and size requirement. But it can be achieved with a pocket knife or nail ...Personally I like laser engraving. But it really doesn’t matter
Holding out for a technique which doesn't dime you out
with the old acid-wash technique,
because the pores in the underlying metal structure ([rolleyes])
are not disturbed by the original engraving.

Bonus points for a method which,
when defaced and then acid-etched,
reveals a palimpsest saying...

I bet you thought that​
this was going to be​
a serial number.​

“More than 23,000 firearms without serial numbers were recovered by law enforcement from potential crime scenes from 2016 through 2020, the Justice Department said.”

FBI executed 450,000 trace requests in 2019, 373,000 in 2015 and 1200-1500 per day in 2018. So let’s be conservative and say, 1000 trace request per day for 5 years, or 1.825 million trace requests. “Ghost Guns” account for <1% of crime gun trace requests 2016-2020. And those 23k “ghost guns” amount to 0.005% of guns in the US, or 5 in 100k guns.

Biden’s entire gun control platform is focused on symbolic gestures that will markedly infringe on the RKBA.

View attachment 480445
The inference is that those 23k guns were made here. That is total BS. I happen to know a 'little' about illegal importation of goods. Those guns could have been made before serial numbers were mandated. They could have been made damn near anywhere in the world and be in Chicago in a matter of weeks if not days if you are really motivated. Heroin is pretty much only grown for profit in the West Asian (Afghanistan) area of the world. Guns could easily use the exact same methods that heroin uses to get to the US. Dammit, tried to get rid of the spammy graph and ended up posting in the quote :(. Woot, got it out of the quoted reply.

Can anyone find a place to submit feedback on this? I still don't see it on the regulations.gov site.

I just asked that on the other thread by accident. I cant find it anywhere. They are probably doing it on purpose. I might call them tomorrow.

The inference is that those 23k guns were made here. That is total BS. I happen to know a 'little' about illegal importation of goods. Those guns could have been made before serial numbers were mandated. They could have been made damn near anywhere in the world and be in Chicago in a matter of weeks if not days if you are really motivated. Heroin is pretty much only grown for profit in the West Asian (Afghanistan) area of the world. Guns could easily use the exact same methods that heroin uses to get to the US. Dammit, tried to get rid of the spammy graph and ended up posting in the quote :(. Woot, got it out of the quoted reply.
Good point. The UN small arm treaty explicitly avoided a requirement that China and Russia mark small arms with country of origin to gain their sign-on. Hundreds of millions of small arms bear no traceable markings, by design. “Ghost Guns” made by hobbyist felons? I think not...

When you do that it brings you to regulations.gov. which is why I asked if anyone actually found and online link, because it's not posted on regulations.gov. I've searched.

When you do that it brings you to regulations.gov. which is why I asked if anyone actually found and online link, because it's not posted on regulations.gov. I've searched.
I also have searched the entire site and actually looked at all the additions since May 5 (including the fascinating Drawbridge Operation Regulation: Rainy River, Rainy Lake and Their Tributaries, Rainier, MN) and could not find hide nor hair of ATF proposed rule 2021R-05, Definition of “Frame or Receiver” and Identification of Firearms.

If you read at the top of the PDF on ATF website, the document is just a version signed by AG and IS NOT the version that will be published in the Federal Register. In other words, this proposal has not been published yet so there is nothing to comment on yet.

Yeah. Nothing exists. So I wrote mine as a letter and I'm gonna fax it to them. Assuming their fax isn't tied up in knots over this. LOL

Holding out for a technique which doesn't dime you out
with the old acid-wash technique,
because the pores in the underlying metal structure ([rolleyes])
are not disturbed by the original engraving.

Bonus points for a method which,
when defaced and then acid-etched,
reveals a palimpsest saying...

I bet you thought that​
this was going to be​
a serial number.​

The etching technique works because the manufacturers stamp the numbers into the metal. This changes the structure and density of the metal in and around the numbers. Even when the numbers are machined off, the underlying density differences remain and can be revealed by etching.

Machining doesn't produce the same changes and would be invisible to the etching technique.

Thus, you stamp into an extra thick part of the frame "Neener, neener!" then machine it off. Now cut the serial number in. Assuming the original was stamped with enough force/deep enough, removing the incised serial number and etching would raise the stamped number instead. In this case "Neener, neener!".

Well you can't submit feedback until they actually file it.
Which is interesting, because on their web page they specifically ask for feedback and give you the link to www.regulations.gov and right at the top they say:

On May 7, 2021, the Attorney General signed ATF proposed rule 2021R-05

Which would indicate that it should be available for comment if they are doing their jobs.

The ambiguous way it's written is deliberate .
Since you can never be sure if you're violating the law it scares most away from doing anything like a build.
The best you will get for clarification is "Go ahead ,we'll decide if we want to arrest you later. "
Not unlike the totally undefined phrase "under your direct control" as was written into the MA firearm storage law.

You can keep posting the same stuff, thay doesn't change that if the rule proposal is not actually published officially in the system, your comments even if mailed cannot be recorded.

I wouldn't assume that ATF has advanced technology like fax machines.

They don't. It goes to a dead line. LOL. Imagine trying to comment on ANYTHING. "Sorry. We don't want your plebeian comments."

I'd be worried about dialing the wrong number
and having the commentary end up
featured on Police Blotter Fax Friday.

It's 2021. What are the odds the wrong # goes to ANOTHER fax machine??? 1 in 100,000??? I have one as an antique in my office. We use it about 4x a year for antique-level investment firms. (Or Cumberland Farms. If you want to roll out your 401(k), you have to fax it. FAX IT????)

It's 2021. What are the odds the wrong # goes to ANOTHER fax machine??? 1 in 100,000??? I have one as an antique in my office. We use it about 4x a year for antique-level investment firms. (Or Cumberland Farms. If you want to roll out your 401(k), you have to fax it. FAX IT????)
So you're saying if it Last Number Redials,
it'll go to CumFarms - not Howie Carr Show Enterprises. [rofl]

Its 100% officially in the system which is why they assigned a number to it as per below with instructions on how to submit comments

Just because you cant find it in their electronic system doesnt mean they are not taking written/faxed comments......

Proposed Rule 2021R-05​

I expect nothing more/less than shenanigans to be played with this proposed rule which is why folks should be sending via fax (keep confirmation) and mail (send registered) and rinse/repeat often

View: https://giphy.com/gifs/reaction-bob-office-space-TU0YWTjo2e208

So, it seems we’re in the silent strategy period, where the Biden Administration and AFT craft their rules and Executive Orders, and SAF, GOA, NRA brainstorm their potential responses. IANAL, but have learned those filing a lawsuit must be directly harmed (have Standing, as they say) to engage. While there should be plenty "harmed" the best plaintiffs would need to be carefully selected.

Presumably, any suit would ask an injunction to prevent implementation of the rule/order, which may or may not be granted. If not granted, I’d assume the proceedings could be dragged out for years...

Holding out for a dark blue nylon windbreaker
with "AFT" on the back.

ETA:
It would almost be worth it for some other poor bastard
to get jacked up on Federal "impersonating an officer" charges,
just to get a pirated audio tape of the defense making their
"What kind of ignoramus thinks 'Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms'
is abbreviated 'AFT'?" statement;
to force the DA to have to retort "Biden*".

Back
Top Bottom