I think all of you should not own a firearm!

darkstorm

Banned
That should be the Shrewsbury police cheif's moto.

http://www.shrewsbury-ma.gov/egov/docs/1233877124793.htm

I know many of you have followed my other thread with some interest.

I'm trying to understand this new policy.

You are deemed "suitable" by the chief however you may not remove the weapon from your home. Ok,so we can sit back and shoot fly's off the wall.

You may carry a weapon however only from sun up to sun down.

You can own a firearm but can not take it from your place of business.

I (the Chief) may further impose other restrictions on you. I assume based on?

Even the few people out here that are not on my side with respect to my other thread have to admit this is beyond stupid. Why does he( Chief Hester) not just reject all LTC app's? Unless you wear a badge in that town you are Shit out of luck it seems.

Last edited:
That man is clearly mentally unstable, irrational and unfit to hold the job he is in.

Those are only restrictions that he can impose, it does not mean that he will and does not mean all of them, just the one(s) he feels may fit the bill to the applicant.

Personally I think there should be no restrictions, the local police should not have that power. The CORY check should be enough, period.

Shrewsbury is a green town and the most recent applicants here at NES were both told they would receive ALP. Note that this is after the date of that page you posted. Just an FYI.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56000&highlight=shrewsbury

I remember back in the 80's when I recieved my ltc,the back "reasons" where what ever you asked for. That changed years later to any lawful purpose. It then changed again to a specfic reason however personal protection was very hard to obtain. I can remeber many years ago a man was involved in a shooting somewhere and was arrested and brought to trial.

The reason was his permit was issued for sporting/hunting. The judge ruled in his favor by citing the front of his LTC states " lisence to carry firearms" He stated the reasons for obtaining it did not matter. Ah,the good old days..:)

* Non-concealed - concealed weapons not allowed under the permit

Does this mean since you have a license to carry but can't carry concealed it allows you to open carry?[laugh]

Does this mean since you have a license to carry but can't carry concealed it allows you to open carry?[laugh]

Yes it does, and this guy I know carried open, and got hassled by almost every cop he ran into.

It also "fixed" a few "problems" he ran into. One time he was making a delivery in Chinatown (he is a bread man), it was 4am and he walks into the store, the owner and wife were in there watching these two guys making a mess of the shelves, on purpose. He walks in and they came around the isle with a determined look on their faces like they were going to tell him to leave or something, they saw his gun, faces dropped, and they quickly left the store. The two owners were SO happy, they gave him anything he wanted. I think he got some cookies, no not the fortune cookies, the good ones. (hey! He's a bread man!)

Last edited:
AS SOMEONE POINTED OUT....

this is just a description of the restrictions that they CAN levy on a Class A license. Unless you know otherwise, I expect "LTC - No Restrictions" are given out regularly. The absence of restrictions, i.e. "No Restrictions" is the new term for ALP or "All Lawful Purposes" which used to be the the standard term for a full LTC, unencumbered by specific prohibitions.

That is NOT the list of rules that applies to LTC issued in Shrewsbury. However, there may be some pool souls who live under those rules. It's just not the norm.

darkstorm are you getting a lawyer? Please give him hell.

It's so dangerous carrying a weapon in the dark.

RELATIVELY lax gun laws in CT (as compared to a lot of places in New England) is just about the ONLY thing I like about this retarded state. The wife and I had no problems getting our pistol/carry permits and there's no distinction or "limitations" on the permits in CT. No bans on handguns, mag capacity, hollow points, etc. The only restriction on handguns is it cannot weigh more than 50 oz as manufactured if the magazine is outside the grip. So, AR, AK type pistols are a no-go unless someone makes an über light one that I haven't seen or heard about.

You are deemed "suitable" by the chief however you may not remove the weapon from your home. Ok,so we can sit back and shoot fly's off the wall.

Even the few people out here that are not on my side with respect to my other thread have to admit this is beyond stupid. Why does he( Chief Hester) not just reject all LTC app's? Unless you wear a badge in that town you are Shit out of luck it seems.

Because if he makes a policy to deny them outright he's going to be taken to court and possibly lose. Someone's going to try to incorporate Heller over something like that and the PTB don't want to fight that fight 'cause there's a good chance they're going to lose if he pulls something like that - and that will open up a whole can of worms for the MA pols. This way he can argue 'reasonable restrictions' with a sympathetic judge and win.

I understand your frustration as it applies to your own particular circumstances and believe you have the right to express yourself and your concerns.

That said, I don't understand making blanket statements about gun owners in Shrewsbury and assuming that unless they wear a badge they're all "shit out of luck". As you're not currently a Shrewsbury resident (if I'm not mistaken) I don't see how speaking out against the policies of this chief as it applies to current residents helps your situation.

I think you may have better success in addressing your own situation if you attempt to remain constructive and focus on your case. Just my $.02.

I wish you good luck.

Last edited:
To restrict someone to not bring their gun out of the home is very irresponsible in the fact that the owner would not be able to practice with their gun or achieve any sort of marksmanship. That is a recipe for danger as well as restricting their ability to defend themselves at home with their gun. Same for not being able to bring outside of workplace. So this untrained/unpracticed person would be able to defend themselves in their business, I just hope I'm not within a mile to catch all of their missed shots...

Last edited:
Police chiefs can arbitrarily and capriciously impose whatever restrictions they want on your license.

Of course, Massachusetts should be a shall-issue state. And then of course, the violent crime rate would plummet and we can't stand for that!

Non-concealed - concealed weapons not allowed under the permit

This is overly broad as written and is unenforceable. On private property you can do whatever you frickn' please with permission. Whereas every other one in his list scopes the restriction properly, this one fails to state "on public way" or "in public".

darkstorm are you getting a lawyer? Please give him hell.

It's so dangerous carrying a weapon in the dark.

Yes!! I have spoken with a few that where pointed out to me from GOAL as well as on here. And some folks out here wonder why I can't a fair deal from Chief Hester?...[rofl]

Of course, these rules don't apply if you have your license from another town and you are IN Shrewsbury, right?

Maybe a letter to the Chamber of Commerce and cc: it to the Board of Selectmen telling them you will not do business in that town again until this written policy is changed might help. Or maybe not, but it is worth a shot (pardon the pun).

Last edited:
To restrict someone to not bring their gun out of the home is very irresponsible in the fact that the owner would not be able to practice with their gun or achieve any sort of marksmanship. That is a recipe for danger as well as restricting their ability to defend themselves at home with their gun. Same for not being able to bring outside of workplace. So this untrained/unpracticed person would be able to defend themselves in their business, I just hope I'm not within a mile to catch all of their missed shots...

I could not agree more! I took a great a deal of pride in my ability with a weapon. To allow someone to own a firearm of any kind yet not even understand how they function is just plain stupid.

Why in the hell would a Chief of police grant to anyone ownership of a firearm yet tell you,if he decides,you are not to understand it's working's? It's like,ok,I'll let you own a car,give you a drivers license,but you can't leave the yard. Am I missing something here?

I understand your frustration as it applies to your own particular circumstances and believe you have the right to express yourself and your concerns.

That said, I don't understand making blanket statements about gun owners in Shrewsbury and assuming that unless they wear a badge they're all "shit out of luck". As you're not currently a Shrewsbury resident (if I'm not mistaken) I don't see how speaking out against the policies of this chief as it applies to current residents helps your situation.

I think you may have better success in addressing your own situation if you attempt to remain constructive and focus on your case. Just my $.02.

I wish you good luck.

The reason Uncle I am speaking is two fold.

1st: I can. I already know the Shrewsbury police are following this story. I am VERY careful as not be so stupid as to post any comment I can not back up with paper work!

2nd :They turned my life upside down for no reason. I just think my fellow gun owners should know about the tactics employed by a rouge town.

Why does he( Chief Hester) not just reject all LTC app's?

That's an easy one to answer. Because he is the licensing "authoritay" and he has the power to do so. He is under no obligation to issue any LTC's. But if he routinely denied everyone, he might offend someone who is "connected." That wouldn't be pleasant for him.

So instead, he will issued neutered licenses to the peasants and reserve the better licenses for the privileged class.

Got it now? [angry]

Remember, "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others."

Oh, as someone else said, "Welcome to Massachusetts!"

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the honey vs vinegar approach? While I don't agree with the practice, some offer neutered licenses for the first go around. Maybe a courteous conversation would yield better results?

I obviously don't know the specifics as I wasn't there,but if I were the person in charge, and for whatever reason I placed restrictions on yours, I wouldn't view your subsequent actions as an overly encouraging reason to budge.

I'm not judging, but if I want something that isn't a guarantee (even if it should be) I would try whatever I could do in order to increase the likelihood of a positive outcome.

Back
Top Bottom