I just made the worst mistake ever!

Hey everyone makes mistakes, thankfully there were no negative repercussions...Personally I've tried to make it a habit to safety check every gun I pick up before doing anything else with it. Most of the time its a little redundant, but its the only way Ive been able to almost make the process second nature.

Eh nobody died so its not that big of a deal. Learn from it and move on. Thanks for posting so that others may learn from it as well!

This.
And if it's any consolation, you're not the only one to forget to something so basic, so "life or death" etc. Back in the (I think) 80s there was a commercial jetliner that left somewhere in the (I think) midwest....Upon takeoff, something "wasn't right" and the jet went into emergency and then went straight down and crashed immediately...The pilot thought the co-pilot had set the flaps, or vice versa...
If I remember correctly the "black box" actually captured the "WTF!!??!!!" (final) conversation between the crew. And if I remember correctly, there were no survivors....Now THAT is what you call a serious "Oops". They didn't live to learn from it. You did.

And you'll (probably) never make the same mistake ever again.

+1 for being honest and posting it, knowing you might "take it on the chin" here.

I went to put it in my safe I realized it was my Glock 30S which was UNLOADED!!!
This is why I never liked the Cooperism "all guns are always loaded". If you followed his maxim, you would have been well served to holster any gun from your safe and go forth, as "all guns are always loaded".

A better rule would be "all guns are in the undesired state of loadedness until you have personally verified otherwise".

And yes, I know "loadedness" is not a word yet.

Actually I figured i would be getting more shit then this so this isnt bad, i also wouldnt have posted it if I couldnt handle it haha...and it just serves a reminder to be more careful

Actually I figured i would be getting more shit then this so this isnt bad, i also wouldnt have posted it if I couldnt handle it haha...and it just serves a reminder to be more careful

As long as you learn from your mistakes, you will be fine.

"those with loaded guns, and those who dig"

can't believe i'm the first one to reference that line[rofl]

if i was more computer savvy i'd post the utube clip. any help???

My carry guns are separate from my other guns. They are always always always loaded with additional mags next to them. That mistake cant happen

My carry guns are separate from my other guns. They are always always always loaded with additional mags next to them. That mistake cant happen

My carry gun is separate from my other guns. I still check it every time I pick it up and before I holster. Every single time.

My carry gun is separate from my other guns. I still check it every time I pick it up and before I holster. Every single time.

Exactly. This is right along the line of the last similar discussion you an I had about racking the slide more than once when you unload.

There are several, simple repetitious things you can train yourself to do, that take only a few seconds and greatly reduce the probability of making a mistake with a firearm, be it having an ND or God forbid drawing your weapon in a bad situation to find it empty.

Practice good habits now, so when you're fatigued or under duress you don't make costly mistakes or life ending decisions.

This is why I never liked the Cooperism "all guns are always loaded". If you followed his maxim, you would have been well served to holster any gun from your safe and go forth, as "all guns are always loaded".

A better rule would be "all guns are in the undesired state of loadedness until you have personally verified otherwise".

And yes, I know "loadedness" is not a word yet.

^This
It's the difference between 'range' rules and 'real life' rules. Obviously you can't 'treat' a gun into a state of being loaded when you need it. [wink]

Also that's what you get for having a bunch of guns that look exactly the same as your carry gun! [laugh]

I always check to make sure it's loaded before I go.
However recently I've been shooting my other toys more regularly than my carry gun so they've been loaded for the past few months.

A lot of people hate the chamber indicator, but I love them for this exact reason. If I'm carrying my 1911 I know it's ready to roll, but I still brass check it periodically and whenever I leave the house.

Always remember to press check. You'll see that snap cap in the chamber and all will be good in the world :)

I left the house with an empty holster a few weeks ago. Had to turn around and call to let a client know I was going to be late. That's pretty stupid right there!!

This.
And if it's any consolation, you're not the only one to forget to something so basic, so "life or death" etc. Back in the (I think) 80s there was a commercial jetliner that left somewhere in the (I think) midwest....Upon takeoff, something "wasn't right" and the jet went into emergency and then went straight down and crashed immediately...The pilot thought the co-pilot had set the flaps, or vice versa...

Same thing happened here not that long ago. Some guy forgot to disable the Gust Lock on a jet... boom. 7 dead. At least leaving your pistol unloaded probably won't kill you unless you win the bad luck lottery.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ash-hanscom/uZTTWJ9CY9hMXXDiyajTbJ/story.html

-Mike

My carry is in my pistol box by the bed always loaded. I still drop the mag and press check in the morning while getting ready to leave. In my safe the loaded rifles are upfront and the loaded hand guns are top shelf... I still check anytime I take em out or put em away.

No harm no foul in this case and now you know to check it each and every time you handle it so your good to go

You should be doing the same thing every time you pick up any gun, checking it to see if it's loaded. You do it every time so it becomes second nature. It's not that you forgot to load it that was the stupid mistake it's that you are completely unsafe and need to question the fact that should you be handling weapons

Same thing happened here not that long ago. Some guy forgot to disable the Gust Lock on a jet... boom. 7 dead. At least leaving your pistol unloaded probably won't kill you unless you win the bad luck lottery. -Mike

In some ways, what happened is even worse - they didn't perform the standard check that the controls are free and clear. In the previous 100+ takeoff a, they had only done that check twice. 30,000 hours of experience and they were skipping the most basic checklist item.

Glad I'm not the only one who has made this mistake! That said, it's a big one! Press check every time I pick up a gun now. Even if I just put it down. Adhering to that makes my daily gun handling idiot proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we talking stupid mistakes here?

I went to the range once without my wallet. That would have pretty much really sucked if I got pulled over. [laugh]

Are we talking stupid mistakes here?

I went to the range once without my wallet. That would have pretty much really sucked if I got pulled over. [laugh]

i went to the range with drgrant one time and drove off leaving a bag full of like five handguns on the bench.

i had to poop. cut me some slack.

damn near had a dynamic critical condition brown malfunction.

Every time you get ready to holster your carry gun, check its condition. Drop the mag, check that it is loaded. Check that the chamber is full. Before you put your spare mags in their holders, check that they are full. Do this every single time.
Amazing that people do not do this.

Back
Top Bottom