I just bought my first AR-15!!

btnh6668

NES Member
I was wondering if there is anything i should stay away from as far as ammunition goes? Is there one that is better than another? What do you guys prefer? I will be posting the pics tomorrow.

Congrats on the purchase!

The only brand I would stay away from is UltraMax

Personally I shoot inexpensive Wolf steel case without any problems. Just keep it clean.

I was wondering if there is anything i should stay away from as far as ammunition goes? Is there one that is better than another? What do you guys prefer? I will be posting the pics tomorrow.

I have heard that the steel ammo such as Wolf and others like it are not good to use but as with most things there are people that like it.
It also has a lacquer coating on it which I have heard tends to gum things up.

I have heard that the steel ammo such as Wolf and others like it are not good to use but as with most things there are people that like it.
It also has a lacquer coating on it which I have heard tends to gum things up.

the new wolf evidently has a polymer coating instead of lacquer. There are those who use it all the times, and those that will not let it near their rifles.

At half the cost of brass, ill give it a try.

as far as the AR, how about some details/pics?!

I've used PPV, Remington, Winchester, Federal, Ultramax (bulk packs), HSM, American Eagle (bulk packs), & PMC in my AR. All performed well, no misfires no FTF no stove piping. The Ultramax remanufactured ammo I bought at Dicks were all Lake City cases. The only negative I saw with what I shot, was the PPV which had the strongest ammonia smell of all the ammo. I only purchase ammo with brass cases as I reload.

I had a bad experience with steel cased wolf.
I had a spent round get pretty stuck after not ejecting. I had to go out and buy a cleaning rod and forcibly pushed it out from the muzzle end.

It's a little unnerving. The extractor had chewed it's way through the casing. That wasn't supposed to happen. With the casing being steel it's even less likely to happen because it's stronger than brass.

Since then I have not used any wolf steel case in my Stag and will probably keep it that way. It was a great way to ruin a range day.

Congrats on the purchase, the AR is a great rifle. The only thing I can tell you about Ammo is find what works price/reliability wise for you and stick with it. I've fed mine just about everything without any problems that could be contributed to the Ammo. Most people stay away from the steel case stuff because it tends to be dirty burning and could cause gas tube fouling, and also some claim that the harder steel cases can wreak havoc on the chamber. Other than that, shoot the hell out of it and have some fun.

I'll put a no in for Wolf Steel Case (I don't like the idea of steel on steel with the kind of tight tolerances in an AR. Mine loves Privy and Federal and eats qmmo's reloads with nary a hiccup. Just keep it clean and the bolt/carrier wet.

To get a good idea how your rifle performs, run 500 rounds of good brass-cased 55 grain FMJ for starters. Federal XM193, though you may consider it pricey, will let you know what your new rifle will do. After that, you can experiment with other variants and find out what your rifle likes best. Stick with FMJ (full metal jacket) ammunition to begin with, as hollow points may give an occasional feed ramp jam and soft points may get deformed during feeding.

Starting with lesser-powered ammunition (.223 vs. 5.56 NATO) before a good break-in may result in short stroking and failure to lock the bolt back after the last round.

I did this routine with my S&W M&P 15FT and it now runs all kinds of ammunition without any issues. [grin]

Funny, I just bought the same exact model yesterday! I bought mine down at zero hour in Easton. I was going to build, but components are so high....it was actually cheaper to buy a whole new rifle, matching #'s and all!

Not really. I stay away from steel case only because it's hard on the extractor. They aren't really built for it. Some people use it without any problems. And I'm fairly certain that the lacqour bit is an old wives tale. The crap people found was just fouling from the crummy powders that wolf was using, not burnt paint. Good all around stuff is WWB (it's what I use), S&B, Federal, Remmington UMC (green), Lake city. There's better, there's worse but these are all pretty good for performance vs. price.

Funny, I just bought the same exact model yesterday! I bought mine down at zero hour in Easton. I was going to build, but components are so high....it was actually cheaper to buy a whole new rifle, matching #'s and all!

Indeed, I also bought mine at Zero Hour.

Back
Top Bottom