• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I admit, I Know Squat About Glocks

I never was a fan of the Glocks but finally bought one when my department changed from the older authorized duty firearm to the Glock 23. I picked one up out of curiosity and to become familiar with the field stripping and operation for our Basic Pistol classes. I have to admit I was impressed. It does exactly what it was meant to do and does so at a very attractive price. Police agencies went over to the Glock in a big way because of the pricing when they first became available. Glock was pretty much giving them away to larger departments just to get them out there in the eyes of the department's firearms and purchasing people. Glocks were $150 per unit when S&W was $300 per unit. BIG cost savings. Once everyone got over the plastic angle, they were very well received.

The biggest obstacle to overcome was the vastly different trigger system which was partially solved with the availability of different weight trigger springs.

To the op

I love all of my glocks and I do compete with a glock, there are plenty of people who compete in many different styles that do shoot 1911's but carry a glock. The triggers aren't as sweet and as mentioned some do not like the grip angle but they are very reliable lightweight and have high ammo capacity. Given their polymer frame and tennifer finished slides moisture and sweat are a non-issue for a carry glock. Now I'm not going to get into a debate on which pistol is better but for a ccw a glock "is better for my needs". .02

For me it comes down to one thing: a Glock simply isn't comfortable in my hands. A 1911 is. (as is a Kahr K9, a CZ-75, etc).

Like BMWs vs Harleys, Ford vs Chevy, Budwieser vs any other beer you can name, it's all personal preference. Both firearms certainly have an enviable reputation.

You can field strip a dozen Glocks (same model, of course), and re-assemble random combinations of barrels, slides and lowers - and end up with serviceable guns. You can also replace all parts on a non-fitted basis (the reason some manufacturers won't sell certain parts is because the armorer needs to try a few until they get one that fits).

Try that with a 1911 :)

It seems to me that the most frequently cited reason for not liking a Glock (other than the foolish "plastic" argument) is that the grip angle is not as good as that of a 1911.

Why doesn't Glock change the grip angle if there are so many complaints?

Hey, Ruger did it with the .22/45.

A Glock 17 is the only semi-auto that I ever sold. A lot of people like them and I guess I can understand that but hard as I tried I could just never convince myself that I liked it.

I own a fair number of handguns and although I have some I don’t shoot for several years when I finally do pick them up its like greeting an old friend. But when I’d pick up that Glock it just did nothing for me, it's just a personal preference thing. Glocks are fine I just don’t want one.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Barbies are made from plastic, Glocks are made from nuclear plutonium based rich Corinthian leather soaked in plastic solution.

I like steel guns.

I do not own a Glock but they have their place, they ARE very reliable guns.

We have had 3 blow up that we sold so far in our shop all were eventually fixed by Glock 2 9mm's and one 40 cal.

Hey, the police use them.....[rofl]

What is the "plastic" argument that you find foolish?

Respectfully,

jkelly

The plastic argument goes: glocks suck because they are made of plastic. A real weapon should be made of steel. A glock will melt if you leave in the car, crack if you hit something with it, or it's unsupported will go kabom and kill you, etc.
This classic internet argument is similiar to posting that every 1911 needs hundreds of dollars worth of smithing and hours of tender care to keep it from constantly malfunctioning.

While there are postives and negatives to both designs, IME most of this stuff you read is just internet BS. 1911s have killer triggers and most people like the feel of a single stack over a double stack (all things being equals). Glocks are extremely rugged and reliable, they are also lightweight and many hold alot of rounds. Personally, I'd like a few of both.

I used 1911's in the service, and I own a Gock 22, so I have a fair amount of experience with both. I always say the glock is lighter, reliable, and more user friendly...
But if I could only pick one it would be a classic 1911, on combat proven longevity alone the steel beast wins out over the tactical tupperware. I will likely never sell my glock, and I also own other plastic pistols (Springfield, KelTec) but if I find a GI spec 1911 at the right price, it will get the seat of honor above all of them. Just my .02

It's thinner, more accurate, and has a trigger the likes of which will never exist on a Glock. I also like the grip angle.

+1. 1911's just feel better.

Does anyone think an M&P or XD would survive the same torture that glock went through?

Plastic

I work for a large state law enforcement agency. Our SWAT team has used several different sidearms over the years: SIG 226, SIG 220, Glock Practical Tactical and Springfield armory 1911's.
The only one we ever broke was the Glock. Not a bad gun all in all but as far as being able to withstand the rigors of tactical training the Glocks just didn't hold up.
I know there are a lot of Glock fans out there but the truth is the truth. The plastic gun broke. The steel guns didn't.

I work for a large state law enforcement agency. Our SWAT team has used several different sidearms over the years: SIG 226, SIG 220, Glock Practical Tactical and Springfield armory 1911's.
The only one we ever broke was the Glock. Not a bad gun all in all but as far as being able to withstand the rigors of tactical training the Glocks just didn't hold up.
I know there are a lot of Glock fans out there but the truth is the truth. The plastic gun broke. The steel guns didn't.

I suppose with ENOUGH pistol whipping the plastic would give.... [rofl][smile]

Try it and get back to us.

I volunteer to conduct a thorough head-to-head test on the Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sig, Kahr, Springfield, and Beretta polymer frame pistols. Please contact me with your preference of caliber and to make arrangements for transfering each of these firearms to me (FA-10 or FFL as required) for testing.

The Glock is a tool, an appliance, utilitarian and reliable, but with no soul. It is the service package Crown Victoria of pistols.

The 1911 is the Harley Davidson of pistols. Classic design, lots of history. Older models may be problematic. Newer models will, for the most part, run with few problems, yet people insist on tinkering and modifying them with varying levels of success.

The Glock is a tool, an appliance, utilitarian and reliable, but with no soul. It is the service package Crown Victoria of pistols.

The 1911 is the Harley Davidson of pistols. Classic design, lots of history. Older models may be problematic. Newer models will, for the most part, run with few problems, yet people insist on tinkering and modifying them with varying levels of success.

Good analogy.

If you had to drive 300 miles in the rain to save a family member's life, you'd take the Crown Vic.

If you wanted to have fun on the weekend, you'd jump on the Harley.

I volunteer to conduct a thorough head-to-head test on the Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sig, Kahr, Springfield, and Beretta polymer frame pistols. Please contact me with your preference of caliber and to make arrangements for transfering each of these firearms to me (FA-10 or FFL as required) for testing.

I'm guessing this will be a "lifetime" testing procedure?[smile]

Thanks for the feedback. I really wasn't trying to start anything, just curious.

BTW, I really liked the 'Tactical Tupperware' comment. [rofl]

The plastic argument goes: glocks suck because they are made of plastic.---O/U
Personally, for me, the Glock being made of plastic is a big turn off. I’m not sure why that is but I just prefer metal hand guns. That’s just me. But you, like my friend Lugnut and Rob Boudrie, both of whose opinions on shooting matters I respect, like both guns.

It’s just a personal preference thing for me, although I am a little upset (but not a lot) that you might think my opinion is foolish.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Thanks for the feedback. I really wasn't trying to start anything, just curious.

BTW, I really liked the 'Tactical Tupperware' comment. [rofl]

Secesh, you must be fairly new to gun forums. The "Glock vs. 1911" thread is one of the top three most hotly debated and contentious topics (along with 9mm vs. .45 and AR vs. AK).

This thread right here might be the most civil and informative one I've ever seen on the topic. Usually it's a jihad.

This thread right here might be the most civil and informative one I've ever seen on the topic. Usually it's a jihad.
Sort of like this?

glockv1911.jpg

Secesh, you must be fairly new to gun forums. The "Glock vs. 1911" thread is one of the top three most hotly debated and contentious topics (along with 9mm vs. .45 and AR vs. AK).

Yes, I'm used to the 9mm vs. .45 arguments but haven't paid a lot of attention to Glock threads in the past. I guess that's why I was struck by the comment that started this thread.

Back
Top Bottom