• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting target scope for SCAR 17s?

So the last two posts could have been way shorter.
“I don’t like them because they and their parts cost too much” would have taken way less time.

So the last two posts could have been way shorter.
“I don’t like them because they and their parts cost too much” would have taken way less time.

Sure, we can remove details from lots of writings to make them shorter. Instruction manuals could simply say “assemble the components.” But sometimes it’s good to be clear with more details. A discussion forum may not be the best place to be to avoid reading.

Sure, we can remove details from lots of writings to make them shorter. Instruction manuals could simply say “assemble the components.” But sometimes it’s good to be clear with more details. A discussion forum may not be the best place to be to avoid reading.
“Blah blah, butthurt...blah”

Man, this is starting to sound like the 9mm vs 45 ACP debates, or the 1911 vs any other gun discussions. Talk about a thread drift...

I happen to like and own both ARs and a Scar. Why does it have to be one or the other?

How about we steer this thread back on topic and help a gun owner pick a scope for his rifle, or compliment him on the one he did choose.

BTW, the NF is a great choice of scope. I hope to have one someday, possibly one of the new 1-8x models they came out with last year.

Man, this is starting to sound like the 9mm vs 45 ACP debates, or the 1911 vs any other gun discussions. Talk about a thread drift...

I happen to like and own both ARs and a Scar. Why does it have to be one or the other?

How about we steer this thread back on topic and help a gun owner pick a scope for his rifle, or compliment him on the one he did choose.

BTW, the NF is a great choice of scope. I hope to have one someday, possibly one of the new 1-8x models they came out with last year.

OP wants something that doesn't exist and is doomed to poordom for eternity.

even SCAR's I bet.

Definitely SCARs. There are entire threads of dudes wanting to dick with the gas jet sizes, because bubba. Then there are dudes itching to swap out the ugg boot for the KDG stock which ends up causing the rifle to beat the shit out of it's self, because bubba. God forbid you want to run a can on one...

Really, so simple minded.
You think is takes Noveske $3500 to bolt on pretty parts to a 50 year old design?
There is probably more of a profit margin in that over priced Noveske. Minimal R&D. Bunch of bolt ons. The Scar was built ground up, its it's own design. It copies some operating technology, but no parts are interchangeable. It was built specifically at the request of the military, that cost is significant.
The military wont outfit the grunts with it cuz of the price, so you wont see it happen. They would have to change everything, even the storage would have to be changed, it's a massive expense, without the price of the gun. The military will stick to the bare minimum.
Whether you like it or not, the Scar is an excellent platform that is going strong for over a decade now, and it will keep going for years to come.
Hate it all you want. Just dont knock it cuz YOU cant justify it in ur budget.
Thats the the best thing about it is I can nock it , its a civilian offering of a product they want me to part cash with.
As far as military goes, they toss out ideas and what they think they want to manufactures and generally end up messing up the original designs later anyway.

As for firearms, theres not much in ground breaking design going on. Sure maybe some of the materials have improved and maybe manufacturing has streemline but as far as revolutionary designs......dont see it.
Its all fun stuff

if the military was still wanting to design and make firearms Springfield Armory would be running strong today.

for the record I would also "cheap" out on a AR 10 platform
too. Not paying Noveske prices either.

Last edited:
I don’t care what anyone thinks.... point is it always comes down to price.... and a scar is more reliable then the AR ..

I own both and shoot a lot. A Scar 16 is more reliable than an AR, I agree. A Scar 17 is finicky with certain ammo and overgassed to cover design flaws, a 17 is not more reliable than a quality AR. Just an opinion, then again you don't care what anyone thinks.

If you like it and can afford it buy it. If you can afford an expensive rifle you can also afford a quality optic for it. I don’t own a SCAR but shooting my friend’s SCAR is very light, very smooth and accurate. I don’t see how it beats up optics etc but anyway.

I don’t see how it beats up optics etc but anyway.

The 17 does. The BCG is huge and heavy and has a heavy recoil impulse in both directions. That is what beats up optics and lasers, even good ones. It only gets worst with aftermarket stocks that change the factory end plate, and the use of most brands of suppressors. Of course, that assumes the owner of said 17 actually shoots it, so...

I own both and shoot a lot. A Scar 16 is more reliable than an AR, I agree. A Scar 17 is finicky with certain ammo and overgassed to cover design flaws, a 17 is not more reliable than a quality AR. Just an opinion, then again you don't care what anyone thinks.

Sorry, you have it all backwards.
Ar10's have a loooong history of issues, even from their birth, if anything is gonna be finicky its the Ar10. The dirtiest running rifle is the AR platform, DI guns shit on themselves after every trigger pull, So in reality the AR15 is the flawed design. AR's are purposely overgassed to help with reliability, its so the rifle will run dirty and in crappy conditions. Scars run cooler and cleaner, by miles, by design.

Sorry, you have it all backwards.
Ar10's have a loooong history of issues, even from their birth, if anything is gonna be finicky its the Ar10. The dirtiest running rifle is the AR platform, DI guns shit on themselves after every trigger pull, So in reality the AR15 is the flawed design. AR's are purposely overgassed to help with reliability, its so the rifle will run dirty and in crappy conditions. Scars run cooler and cleaner, by miles, by design.

Sorry, you clearly don’t know piston guns are not limited to FN Scar. The Scar 17s is just a poor mans LWRC R.E.P.R.

Thats the the best thing about it is I can nock it , its a civilian offering of a product they want me to part cash with.
As far as military goes, they toss out ideas and what they think they want to manufactures and generally end up messing up the original designs later anyway.

As for firearms, theres not much in ground breaking design going on. Sure maybe some of the materials have improved and maybe manufacturing has streemline but as far as revolutionary designs......dont see it.
Its all fun stuff

if the military was still wanting to design and make firearms Springfield Armory would be running strong today.

for the record I would also "cheap" out on a AR 10 platform
too. Not paying Noveske prices either.

If it was ground breaking would you pay $3k for it?
The SCAR is, by design a more reliable gun than an AR15. No its not complete revolutionary design, but it incorporates a design taken from a few historically good rifles. There are many reason for its price, is every penny justifiable? Shit no. but it was conceived in a completely different time and purpose, that has a big impact on price.
The SCAR is notoriously hated, and thats fine, its all about the $$$. Some can afford some cant, we come from all walks of life.
But it seems when someone innocently starts a thread about what scope to put on his SCAR, he gets judged about buying the SCAR in the first place.
If you wanted to start a thread about putting a scope on your cheap AR15's, im not gonna judge and troll the thread.

Sorry, you clearly don’t know piston guns are not limited to FN Scar. The Scar 17s is just a poor mans LWRC R.E.P.R.

You have to be trolling now...lol
I wont knock an LWRC, I own 2. They are great, but a piston AR is not the same as a SCAR. Same concept, completely different design. One was purpose built, the other was designed as an after thought ina gun that wasnt meant to be piston.

The LWRC is the poor mans HK416, which had more stoppages then the SCAR in the Trials.

People cant just say " the Scar isnt for me" or "it's a great gun, I just cant afford it"
They have to go on and on and on about how it's overpriced, FN can't match the colors, the stock looks like an ugg boot, why would you waste your money? The list goes on and on.
I dont judge or give a crap when people buy $2600 Glocks, or Noveskes that are nothing but bolt-ons.
Haters gonna hate.
What! Theres a $2600 glock...oh boy. Does it come in FDE that matches...giggle.

If it was ground breaking would you pay $3k for it?
The SCAR is, by design a more reliable gun than an AR15. No its not complete revolutionary design, but it incorporates a design taken from a few historically good rifles. There are many reason for its price, is every penny justifiable? Shit no. but it was conceived in a completely different time and purpose, that has a big impact on price.
The SCAR is notoriously hated, and thats fine, its all about the $$$. Some can afford some cant, we come from all walks of life.
But it seems when someone innocently starts a thread about what scope to put on his SCAR, he gets judged about buying the SCAR in the first place.
If you wanted to start a thread about putting a scope on your cheap AR15's, im not gonna judge and troll the thread.
Call me a dipshit.... I got a $1200 scope and a $200 mount on a $800 AR .....go ahead shame me. i deserve it.

Call me a dipshit.... I got a $1200 scope and a $200 mount on a $800 AR .....go ahead shame me. i deserve it.

Why didn’t you buy a decent quality mount and scope for that nice AR instead of cheaping out?

No one judged the guy for owning a SCAR. We judged him for wanting to put a cheap optic on a $3,000 rifle, one that is known to destroy cheap optics. It was at that point that you SCAR dudes lost your minds and started hyperventilating about how awesome your wonder guns are.

ETA:

So just for fun I went back and re-read this thread. No one took issue with the guy owning a SCAR. There was a bunch of dick wagging about shooter ability, advice about optics (some of it really good), and one dude who made an ugg boot joke in the entirety of the first 2.5 pages until you saw someone criticize the trigger and it sent you off the rails like a conversation about how pointless 40s&w is in 2019. Then the other SCAR dude jumped in to add nothing of substance, and I have been bored at my desk for 2 days which brings us to this post. No one gives a shit that you spent big SCAR and LWRC dollars for your false sense of "more reliable", stop projecting your buyers remorse on everyone who looks at these rifles and shrugs their shoulders because the juice aint worth the squeeze.

a $200 mount

Wait, LaRue is for teh poors now? [crying]

Last edited:
No one judged the guy for owning a SCAR. We judged him for wanting to put a cheap optic on a $3,000 rifle, one that is known to destroy cheap optics. It was at that point that you SCAR dudes lost your minds and started hyperventilating about how awesome your wonder guns are.

ETA:

So just for fun I went back and re-read this thread. No one took issue with the guy owning a SCAR. There was a bunch of dick wagging about shooter ability, advice about optics (some of it really good), and one dude who made an ugg boot joke in the entirety of the first 2.5 pages until you saw someone criticize the trigger and it sent you off the rails like a conversation about how pointless 40s&w is in 2019. Then the other SCAR dude jumped in to add nothing of substance, and I have been bored at my desk for 2 days which brings us to this post. No one gives a shit that you spent big SCAR and LWRC dollars for your false sense of "more reliable", stop projecting your buyers remorse on everyone who looks at these rifles and shrugs their shoulders because the juice aint worth the squeeze.

Wait, LaRue is for teh poors now? [crying]
Thats some good stuff, right there.

Back
Top Bottom