Hunting target scope for SCAR 17s?

Opinions like from real gunfighters that leave them behind operationally, or the opinions of dudes that try really hard validate their purchase?
Then let’s see some proof of these “real gunfighters” leaving them behind I showed proof of reliability from the military with hard numbers what you are saying is just hear say....

I don't know, since its release, FN has competed with the SCAR in several bids, and nobody has picked it. Thr French went with the H&K416, so did the USMC. I'm pretty sure the reasons were not all political. I'm also pretty sure that the Heckler won't sell cheaper than the SCAR. Why's that?

I don't know, since its release, FN has competed with the SCAR in several bids, and nobody has picked it. Why's that?

It’s because the colors don’t match, it comes with a shit trigger, and it keeps breaking their optics. There, that ought to about cover it...

Is someone keeping a list of ultra rugged scopes? (for scar or other rifles, for that matter?) I know this isn't the only rifle that destroys lesser scopes....

For me, ultra rugged wasn’t as important as a lifetime no BS warranty. I mean, I don’t worry that my scope might fail right in the middle of a firefight to save my life, so if it did fail, I want to know it will be replaced without incident. Burris and Vortex are two such companies, and their are others. My biggest worry about my scopes is that I’ll leave the battery in it for 10+ years and then the battery will leak and ruin the optic. I know I should take the battery out if I’m not going to use it for a while, but now I don’t have to.

Then let’s see some proof of these “real gunfighters” leaving them behind I showed proof of reliability from the military with hard numbers what you are saying is just hear say....

Just hearsay from dudes that were actually leaving them behind. No less anecdotal then anything else in this thread.

Lol, yeah, mounts can drive you crazy trying to choose, and the prices are steep too. I always prefer a mount to rings mostly because I think I'll somehow screw up the install using rings. I also went with the ADM Delta and like it a lot. You will be pleased. They make a great quality mount at what I consider to be a fair price.

Good luck with the Leupold, I hadn't checked them out when I got the Burris. While I believe the low power variable is the way to go, Queen Bee does make some good points about why she went with more magnification. If I had to do it again, I wonder if I'd choose something along the lines of a 2-10x scope, or stick with a 1-8x. Decisions, decisions...

I dithered less on the mount than the glass, considered the super fancy, super precision from Gieselle but for another 150 it didn’t seem worth it...no QD either but that’s not a huge issue, see here I am cutting corners lol. A 2.5-10 or 4-12 was tempting at first because you want to utilize the distance afforded by that bigger round, but ultimately it felt like forcing the gun and my intended use into a zone neither are suited for.

Last edited:
There's an interview with a guy from AWG where he said they left their scars behind on every mission.

Its not the only time ive heard it.

So basically scars are for the gays.

ok so who wants to buy mt scar 17? only 3100... any buyers?

Why would anyone want a SCAR17 when they could buy a nice PSA PA-10 for $600 w/free shipping? [smile]

5165447827.jpg

PSA GEN2 PA10 18" MID-LENGTH .308 WIN STAINLESS STEEL CLASSIC RIFLE
20 Reviews | 41 Questions, 63 Answers
IN STOCK

$ 899.99

$ 599.99

Qty:
si.aspx

FREE SHIPPING Free Shipping applies to this item only and not the entire order.

PSA Gen2 PA10 18" Mid-Length .308 WIN Stainless Steel Classic Rifle

I think part of the problem is that, scar haters work off of opinion and not fact. Like the colors don’t look good or they don’t like the trigger, or they don’t like the stock, or it’s over priced ( all opinions) then when people try to bring facts into the convo like the military test results people lose there minds..... let’s agree to disagree and move on lol as fun as this has been

Please say you are a troll, I can’t imagine such a sad meaningless life exists.

I don't know, since its release, FN has competed with the SCAR in several bids, and nobody has picked it. Thr French went with the H&K416, so did the USMC. I'm pretty sure the reasons were not all political. I'm also pretty sure that the Heckler won't sell cheaper than the SCAR. Why's that?

I found someone using the SCAR... yeah, Taliban. Maybe if that thing wasn't so damn heavy, that US grunt wouldn't have dropped it. Or maybe it failed on him and he said screw it, let someone else deal with the problems.

taliban.jpg

Getting back to the OP’s original question, I’ve just acquired a SCAR 17S (just because) and I’ve put a Trijicon 1-8x28 AccuPower scope on it using the Trijicon 34mm Riflescope Colt Knob Mount. The scope is a true 1 power and it turns out with the Trijicon mount it just happens to co-witnesses with the SCAR’s standard iron sights. Using the iron sights through the scope made it a snap to zero in the scope. You can actually use it as an oversized red-dot on 1X and it works great all the way up to 8X (at least out to 200 yards, which is as far as I’ve used it so far). Haven’t had it long enough to know if that massive “moving parts assembly” sloshing back-n-forth will cause it a problem, but I’ve had good luck with Trijicon in the past. Only down side is it’s $90 over the OP’s $1000 limit (plus $120 for the mount). Here’s what it looks like:
IMG_1645.jpeg

its all fun,

Like most posts/threads topics drift, many are confused to why some choose what they choose..... like in my first post I asked why skimp on a optic $500 and wanting it do do 2 completely different jobs AND hold up to the SCAR beating. After spending $3000 on a rifle? I get it IF you just dont have a budget left after dumping $3k on the rifle.

The OP ended up with a night force ....I say a better choice than most $500 scopes no matter what your putting it on.

Im guilty of doing things that dont make sense. For one I built a expensive 10/22 because I wanted a semi auto 22lr for 200 yards. IF the model 60 had the aftermarket options the 10/22 has I might have went that route.

I have already amitted to doing jackass shit
I think I found the solution for their butthurt....

flare up aside... to go back on topic...

Is someone keeping a list of ultra rugged scopes? (for scar or other rifles, for that matter?) I know this isn't the only rifle that destroys lesser scopes....

Yes but do they even out FDE colors.....

FN could solve all this if they just introduced the commercial version of the 17 in black cerakote , gieselle trigger and 6.5 creedmoor. Woodsy, hey woodsy......

I have tried out Aimpoints, ACOG's, and traditional riflescopes from various makers... all of them worked out on the 16 and 17. I like this one best:

View: https://i.imgur.com/SmvHzhn.jpg

Yeah, Elcan Spectre DR. Nice way to drop $2000 (Elcan SpecterDR Dual Role 1.5-6x Optical Sight w/Integral A.R.M.S. Picatinny Mount, Anti-Reflection Device, Color: Flat Dark Earth, Black, Up to 36% Off w/ Free S&H — 4 models). Actually planning on buying one for my AR15 and moving my Eotech holo and flip mag to my Tavor. I'll probably just sell my Aimpoint, as I prefer the Eotech reticle to just a red dot.

Last edited:
FN will sell to anyone im sure.
Nah, the Taliban took that from US SOCOM forces. The Pentagon won't own up to how the Taliban got the rifles... US SOCOM is the only group fielding the SCARs. My guess is an SF team got hit en route somewhere and they had to abandon their vehicle(s). A couple of wounded soldiers later and the Taliban has a nice propaganda picture with FN's latest and greatest.

Looks good.

Let us know how it’s doing after you’ve got more rounds through it. Not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious about the variable Trijicons in this application.

Getting back to the OP’s original question, I’ve just acquired a SCAR 17S (just because) and I’ve put a Trijicon 1-8x28 AccuPower scope on it using the Trijicon 34mm Riflescope Colt Knob Mount. The scope is a true 1 power and it turns out with the Trijicon mount it just happens to co-witnesses with the SCAR’s standard iron sights. Using the iron sights through the scope made it a snap to zero in the scope. You can actually use it as an oversized red-dot on 1X and it works great all the way up to 8X (at least out to 200 yards, which is as far as I’ve used it so far). Haven’t had it long enough to know if that massive “moving parts assembly” sloshing back-n-forth will cause it a problem, but I’ve had good luck with Trijicon in the past. Only down side is it’s $90 over the OP’s $1000 limit (plus $120 for the mount). Here’s what it looks like:
View attachment 283055

Last edited:
As an aside, do any SCAR owners know what the deal is with the old-school PWS FSC30 and FSC556 compensators? They still seem to come stock on the SCAR's, but you can't order them from PWS any more. PWS has a redesigned version that looks very similar to the old bird-cage flash suppressor. Not sure if the new comp design is MA compliant as a muzzle device or not, but I know the old comp design was. I was looking to pick up the old design, but had a devil of a time finding one for sale...

I got no skin in the game here - just own one AR that I assembled/built.

But I have to ask, where are those “facts” coming from??? Anyone can write that and post it as “facts”. Am I missing something here?

It would be interesting to hear from SCAR owners about their personal experiences on the reliability of their SCARs. What is their round count? Is it 500 or 5,000 a year? I only shoot around 1,200 to 1,500 rds of 223 on my ARs a year and probably clean it once every 500 rds. I can only provide Anecdotal support on an AR15's reliability. For me, it's probably 99% "reliable". Is the SCAR 99.9% reliable? Trying to understand if there is a real difference for the weekend range guy.

Looks good.

Let us know how it’s doing after you’ve got more rounds through it. Not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious about the variable Trijicons in this application.
Yes, I’m also interested in seeing how it lasts. A standard mil-spec AR-15 BCG weighs in at about 11.5 OZ. The SCAR 17 “moving parts assembly” (their name for a BCG) weighs in around a hefty 25 OZ. So that’s more than double the moving mass; so it’s no surprise that it will eat cheaper scopes. Have to see how the AcuPower holds up.

Yes, I’m also interested in seeing how it lasts. A standard mil-spec AR-15 BCG weighs in at about 11.5 OZ. The SCAR 17 “moving parts assembly” (their name for a BCG) weighs in around a hefty 25 OZ. So that’s more than double the moving mass; so it’s no surprise that it will eat cheaper scopes. Have to see how the AcuPower holds up.

Trijicon makes a quality product for sure so I too am curious how it holds up. Obviously the Scar has that rep but like many things on the internet it could well be overblown. The acog on a scar is said to be gtg but also that’s a different internal construction than a regular tube, the 6x one reputedly kinda sucks though so it wasn’t in consideration...tho I love the 3.5 and 4x models on the lighter platforms.

Nah, the Taliban took that from US SOCOM forces. The Pentagon won't own up to how the Taliban got the rifles... US SOCOM is the only group fielding the SCARs. My guess is an SF team got hit en route somewhere and they had to abandon their vehicle(s). A couple of wounded soldiers later and the Taliban has a nice propaganda picture with FN's latest and greatest.
Are you telling me FN only sells SCAR to SoCom and US citizens. Is there no private security forces running around with SCARS. Now i know US leaves, looses, and drops gear all over the world . Is it likey this was US property at one point. Yeah .

Are you telling me FN only sells SCAR to SoCom and US citizens. Is there no private security forces running around with SCARS. Now i know US leaves, looses, and drops gear all over the world . Is it likey this was US property at one point. Yeah .

Eric Prince hasn’t been nearly as successful about turning Afghanistan into Blackwater’s next crusade as he was with Iraq. Same with Libya and Syria.

Back
Top Bottom