• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting target scope for SCAR 17s?

The upfront cost of the SCAR 17 is a bit much, but nothing crazy compared to quality AR 308s (and I’m not just talking about KAC/Noveske). What gets me is the price of parts like a replacement barrel. $1k-1.5k for a barrel? Seriously?

The upfront cost of the SCAR 17 is a bit much, but nothing crazy compared to quality AR 308s (and I’m not just talking about KAC/Noveske). What gets me is the price of parts like a replacement barrel. $1k-1.5k for a barrel? Seriously?

Battle field Vegas changed an barrel and a hammer in the midst of 200k rounds. Dont worry about it.

Battle field Vegas changed an barrel and a hammer in the midst of 200k rounds. Dont worry about it.

Yeah, but if I want a different barrel length or caliber, there’s an additional 30-50% of the cost of the rifle. It’s a major consideration.

Also, less importantly, what precision degradation did they see at 200k? 100k? 50k? Even long lasting chrome lines barrels usually go to 20k, maybe up to 40k rounds. That’s still a lot and would likely last the lifetime of the gun for many people. But claiming 200k lifespan is bold. I imagine Battlefield Vegas doesn’t care how large the groups get.

Look I don’t care about what anyone thinks on here about what I buy and don’t buy... if I want to buy an expensive rifle that is more reliable and runs cleaner then the AR platform then I will and if someone chooses to buy a budget rifle then, what ever thats your decision... but don’t nit pick the scar on the color or the trigger or the stock and say those are the reasons you are not buying lol when really everyone knows the real reason $$

Just because you can’t afford them, it does not mean you need to knock it, they are more reliable then a Ar-15

Lol ok sure

Look I don’t care about what anyone thinks on here about what I buy and don’t buy... if I want to buy an expensive rifle that is more reliable and runs cleaner then the AR platform then I will and if someone chooses to buy a budget rifle then, what ever thats your decision... but don’t nit pick the scar on the color or the trigger or the stock and say those are the reasons you are not buying lol when really everyone knows the real reason $$

I have not said boo about the color, trigger, stock, or anything else other then the fact that I do not have a reason to buy one. I know quite a bit about them, enough to know I do not have a good enough use for one to own one. Same thing with machine guns, 300WM bolt rifles, and 50BMGs. However, I do own plenty of gun stuff worth far more then any SCAR on the civilian market, because I have a use for it.

Who’s winded ? Lol

[rofl]

Jesus guy, take a breath.

Wow I am super impressed. I never said you had an issue with those things, but a lot of people state those as reasons.... so settle down

Maybe you need a breath ?

I am plenty settled. Why do you get so worked up about people taking issue with a rifle in a free market?

People cant just say " the Scar isnt for me" or "it's a great gun, I just cant afford it"
They have to go on and on and on about how it's overpriced, FN can't match the colors, the stock looks like an ugg boot, why would you waste your money? The list goes on and on.
I dont judge or give a crap when people buy $2600 Glocks, or Noveskes that are nothing but bolt-ons.
Haters gonna hate.

Maybe if the SCAR platform ever makes it to general issue the price might drop.

The price is never going to drop because FN knows what they have and they know they can get the money for it. It's literally that simple. Only a retard that
owns a business would sell something for less than what it's worth. If someone can afford to throw 308 downrange on the reg a few hundred bucks is inconsequential.

-Mike

Yeah, but if I want a different barrel length or caliber, there’s an additional 30-50% of the cost of the rifle. It’s a major consideration.

Also, less importantly, what precision degradation did they see at 200k? 100k? 50k? Even long lasting chrome lines barrels usually go to 20k, maybe up to 40k rounds. That’s still a lot and would likely last the lifetime of the gun for many people. But claiming 200k lifespan is bold. I imagine Battlefield Vegas doesn’t care how large the groups get.

The scar wasnt designed or built to be an Ar15, its not designed to be torn apart and have pretty overpriced parts slapped on. It's a purpose built rifle. That's all the Ar15 is nowadays, it's a Honda civic with nice rims and a trumpet for an exhaust, 100% tacticool. You want different calibers then by all means, the scar isnt for you, nobody is forcing you. Just dont come up with stupid reason not to get one and question why others would spend the coin.

This has turned into a good old fashioned NES purse fight.

As to scopes: today there are plenty of great scopes in the $500 range for a 0-300 yard rifle. You definitely don't need over 8 power. In fact I think one of the purpose-built Highpower Rifle scopes would be about perfect (max 4.5x).
The days of having to spend twice for the scope, what you did for the rifle are long gone.

I don't know if you have actually been there but BFV is not exactly a good test bed for when to change a barrel, unless the criteria consists solely of "bullets existed the gun safely and didn't go sideways" That gun was probably doing like 8 MOA long before it hit the end of its lifespan, given that basically the targets there are at like 30 feet or so. Remember this is a place that lets tourists shoot a .50 BMG indoors for a stupid amount of money. If a gun loses accuracy nobody will notice unless its suddenly not hitting paper anymore... [laugh]

That said, if someone can afford one of these, I doubt they're going to be too concerned about cooking a barrel in one, especially in semi.

-Mike

The scar wasnt designed or built to be an Ar15, its not designed to be torn apart and have pretty overpriced parts slapped on. It's a purpose built rifle. That's all the Ar15 is nowadays, it's a Honda civic with nice rims and a trumpet for an exhaust, 100% tacticool. You want different calibers then by all means, the scar isnt for you, nobody is forcing you. Just dont come up with stupid reason not to get one and question why others would spend the coin.
Lol trumpet exhaust[rofl]

Burris just announced a new RT-8 (1-8x) scope that should be very reasonable if you want to keep costs down.

At the end of the day it is a semiautomatic rifle. It is arguably no more or less effective then any other semiauto rifle chambered the same way. An M80 or M193 ball projectile is going to fly at the same velocity and with the same amount of accuracy as a 16" gas gun. Whether or not you prefer the piston over a gas tube is like arguing V8 over turbo V6 or some shit, one is cleaner, one is softer, one is more reliable then the other. Once you get past the BaTtLe RiFlE iNnA hIlLs Of ThE 'sTan thing, they both do the job with their own short falls.

SCAR dudes really lose their minds over these conversations, it's something else.

At the end of the day it is a semiautomatic rifle. It is arguably no more or less effective then any other semiauto rifle chambered the same way. An M80 or M193 ball projectile is going to fly at the same velocity and with the same amount of accuracy as a 16" gas gun. Whether or not you prefer the piston over a gas tube is like arguing V8 over turbo V6 or some shit, one is cleaner, one is softer, one is more reliable then the other. Once you get past the BaTtLe RiFlE iNnA hIlLs Of ThE 'sTan thing, they both do the job with their own short falls.

SCAR dudes really lose their minds over these conversations, it's something else.

I think it's way more than just SCAR owners. Get in the wrong circles and it could be HK Glock Taurus Beretta Mensturation and Pee shield blah blah
etc so on. even High Point owners. (they like jerk off about skinflinting and make fun of people who "paid too much" for their gun, etc because the HP lifestyle is all about the flinting ) It's like some kind of a weird fetish or something. If we were talking about building a house it would be like someone running around obsessing about how their hammer was the best or something and anyone who said otherwise was basically a full on heretic...

I can hear it now. "Mommy! jimmy says that estwing sucks and I should have a stanley!" [rofl]

-Mike

I think it's way more than just SCAR owners. Get in the wrong circles and it could be HK Glock Taurus Beretta Mensturation and Pee shield blah blah
etc so on. even High Point owners. (they like jerk off about skinflinting and make fun of people who "paid too much" for their gun, etc because the HP lifestyle is all about the flinting ) It's like some kind of a weird fetish or something. If we were talking about building a house it would be like someone running around obsessing about how their hammer was the best or something and anyone who said otherwise was basically a full on heretic...

I can hear it now. "Mommy! jimmy says that estwing sucks and I should have a stanley!" [rofl]

-Mike
Lol hp lifestyle

-Mike

For sure. I can dig the SCARs, I have shot more then a few different configurations of them including a full auto suppressed 17 under nods, but they do nothing special for me as a Joe 6-pack aside from cost $3k before the follow on $1k I would have to sink into it to make it useful to my taste, so I don't own one. State that in public around a SCAR dude it is an immediate 100mph left turn into the MORE RELIABLE THEN AR15!!!1 YOU POOR, HATER!!!1 wall, as if most of the dudes that own a SCAR17 are putting anywhere close to an annual round count through their wonder guns to qualify these statements. I shoot and train with a dude that does, and probably has put more through these guns then anyone here, he is about the only one I will listen to on the topic of SCAR rifles. The rest of them, I troll for the lulz.

Since when is changing a barrel length or caliber being “tacticool”? Do you think that an alteration to a rifle’s barrel length to make it the best tool for a job is being tacticool? This isn’t about accessories. This is about replacement part costs for a basic component of the rifle. There is no valid reason for a battle rifle’s barrel to be $1-1.5k.

That flaw clearly doesn’t bother you and that’s fine. But it’s far from a “stupid” reason to avoid the SCAR, and fair criticism. You SCAR guys are a touchy bunch, aren’t you?

Back
Top Bottom