How many rounds is enough?

All I know is that I responded to a specific post that said "You cant do that in this state.. the law says 10,000" with "no big deal just get a permit at the fire department" and suddenly I got flamed for being some sort of pocket communist that empowers all the corrupt nepotistic government employees sucking the lifeblood out of all us courageous freedom fighters by contributing my $25.

OK. What would you like me to do about that?

What is "Standard combat load"? Seven mags for your rifle, three mags for your hand gun. Instead of stocking up on ammo what everyone should really be figuring out is where they will get medical help from. That will be harder to find then ammo.

I disagree Len: I don't think your mileage will vary much at all.

That's 'cause you read the acronym wrong.
See, there's two meanings to "YMMV".
The standard one is "Your mileage may vary".
It can be pretty amusing to apply the other meaning - "You Make Me Vomit".

To the OP - this is NOT directly addressed to you, just jumping on the acronym...

Some of you guys watch waaaay too much tv.

I buy ammo in bulk to save as much money as I can when I buy it, and I have the permit so that if my house catches fire my insurance company will pay the claim, because if you don't have the permit, and your house burns down, you will be paying a mortgage on a big ole pile of rubbish.

SHTF - I am not going anywhere unless I absolutely have to. And you guys crack me up with your talk of "combat load out" etc. I've got news for you... you will never be in a situation where you will be exchanging hundreds of rounds with guys wearing helmets and body armor. They will simply frag your ass. Or send in the MRAP.

I buy ammo in bulk for the same reason people buy toilet paper at Costco. It's cheaper and I know that I will need it eventually. Ammo is a lot like the big case of toilet paper, if you really need 30 rolls of tp in one day, your gonna die.

That's 'cause you read the acronym wrong.
See, there's two meanings to "YMMV".
The standard one is "Your mileage may vary".
It can be pretty amusing to apply the other meaning - "You Make Me Vomit".

To the OP - this is NOT directly addressed to you, just jumping on the acronym...

Never heard of your 2nd definition. I always mean "your mileage may vary".

Never heard of your 2nd definition. I always mean "your mileage may vary".

Please don't misunderstand me; I wasn't saying otherwise.

All I was saying was that when I see that particular acronym I tend to apply both meanings, which often makes me grin.
Now you can try and forget the second meaning of that particular acronym. Good luck! :)

I buy and keep ammo because it is a partial hedge against inflation. 100$ in cash will lose value over time, 200 rds of 9mm will be worth the same, or more.

This thread just went gayer than a bag of dicks.

Iwa0bGC.jpg

PIITB? ITMFB...

I can't think of any even remotely realistic scenarios where you'll be grabbing your plate carrier and rifle and heading out. It's fun to think about but it just isn't realistic.

Chances are if you do need to leave your house (or super duper hidden fortress you've bugged out to) you will want to blend in and not attract attention. Unless there is absolutely no police or military around anymore, I don't think you'll want to be running around town with any long gun at all. With that in mind, a handgun becomes important.

Your other consideration is, of course, defending your house / pillow fort / castle / sex dungeon. This can be done with the same handgun or whatever else you prefer, but you won't really be concerned with how much heavy ammo you can carry because you won't be carrying it.

Shotguns and. 22LR are great... if you live somewhere you can hunt, either right on your property or nearby. You won't be hunting much in the suburbs. Realistically, things are highly unlikely to break down to the point where we have to hunt to survive, unless you're in the deep woods and basically live of the land and don't want to deal with anyone at all.

Seriously, people, ISIS is not going to be paratrooping in Red Dawn style. The zombie apocalypse is not coming. Preparing for extremely unlikely scenarios instead of the ones that might actually happen is crazy, imo. Personally, I'm content with training with my pistol and shotgun. Eventually I'll get an AR but it's not high on my list of priorities right now, as I'm much more likely to need my handgun.

Ammo is a lot like the big case of toilet paper, if you really need 30 rolls of tp in one day, your gonna die.

/thread

moderator: you can lock this now, anything anyone else writes is going to be redundant

I can't think of any even remotely realistic scenarios where you'll be grabbing your plate carrier and rifle and heading out. It's fun to think about but it just isn't realistic.

Chances are if you do need to leave your house (or super duper hidden fortress you've bugged out to) you will want to blend in and not attract attention. Unless there is absolutely no police or military around anymore, I don't think you'll want to be running around town with any long gun at all. With that in mind, a handgun becomes important.

Your other consideration is, of course, defending your house / pillow fort / castle / sex dungeon. This can be done with the same handgun or whatever else you prefer, but you won't really be concerned with how much heavy ammo you can carry because you won't be carrying it.

Shotguns and. 22LR are great... if you live somewhere you can hunt, either right on your property or nearby. You won't be hunting much in the suburbs. Realistically, things are highly unlikely to break down to the point where we have to hunt to survive, unless you're in the deep woods and basically live of the land and don't want to deal with anyone at all.

Seriously, people, ISIS is not going to be paratrooping in Red Dawn style. The zombie apocalypse is not coming. Preparing for extremely unlikely scenarios instead of the ones that might actually happen is crazy, imo. Personally, I'm content with training with my pistol and shotgun. Eventually I'll get an AR but it's not high on my list of priorities right now, as I'm much more likely to need my handgun.

Wait you don't have an AR? I don't think we can be friends.

But but but ... how will you pull off zombie headshots at 600 yards when SHTF?
If the Mosin's bayonet won't reach em, the muzzle blast will. Don't worry though, I stocked up 1,592 spam cans, per NES guidelines.

So how many bayonets are enough? 10 per rifle? What if they get dull after thousands of zombies, what will you do?

Here's a scenario for you. US is in deep depression, riots everywhere, cops a la Baltimore have their hands tied so criminals are running wild. A crew of four gang bangers drives down your suburban street. They stop in front of your house, decide it looks interesting. You're at the door or front window. They have shotguns and AK-47s.

What do you want in your hand, a pistol and shotgun, or an AR-15, or better yet, AR-10?

I think an AR is nice to have to defend your home.

Since when do gang bangers have AKs? You do have a point though, I suppose, but that's still not a situation where you have to worry about bugging out or stocking up ammo - a single can of 5.56 would be enough for you.

Looters are the main plausible SHTF reason to own firearms. Whether it's an ice storm and people roaming around stealing generators, or full on riots.

Just remember if you actually were to shoot at a group of looters, you damn well better kill all of them or odds are they'll come back later and that means you now have to post a 24hr watch against an unknown number of assailants.

My town has 2-3 officers on duty at any given time. Not exactly a tough force to overwhelm, especially if there's trouble elsewhere and no other towns can provide more support.

Hurricanes and ice storms routinely bring emergency response to their knees in New England. It only take one gang roving around to start causing real issues.

For the first instance.

An ammo can holds 1,200 rounds of 5.56. You can't reload fast enough to use all of that in a single encounter even if you have 20 mags.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure whose balls you are trying to bust, but you were the only one talking about practicing head shots at extended range with your 9mm AR.

You missed the point if you have to ask.

An ammo can holds 1,200 rounds of 5.56. You can't reload fast enough to use all of that in a single encounter even if you have 20 mags.

I have far more mags loaded with ammo than 1,200rds. Obviously I can't carry 56 mags, but it's enough to load out two fire teams without handling loose ammo. I have three family members in my house with their own ARs, that can use them effectively.

My idea of having enough is think of a reasonable situation that could occur, and then have more than that.

The main differences here are what each person views as "reasonable". There are so many factors beyond "needing" ammo for self defense that make it prudent to purchase more than you would typically use such as:
1) Ammo prices don't go down
2) Ammo shortages happen, possibly restricting how you train
3) Unforseen events happen and you can't plan after the fact.

I enjoyed going through the post Sandy Hook shit show and never worrying about even rationing my ammo or training schedule, let alone concerned how I was going to find ammo at all.

Since when do gang bangers have AKs? You do have a point though, I suppose, but that's still not a situation where you have to worry about bugging out or stocking up ammo - a single can of 5.56 would be enough for you.

Yeah, I only stock it for future bans or ban scares, not for SHTF. For SHTF I'm more worried about infections or runaway hemorrhoids than running out of 5.56.

Back
Top Bottom