• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many rounds is enough?

So am I ok with 10k in each caliber or not?

10k in .22 is easy.

same with my pistol calibers until you get up into .45 land.

when you start trying to get 30.06 for a Garand, 10k rounds i$ a tall order for $ome of u$.

I'll say the same thing. Unless you think you have enough to shoot for your kids' lifetimes, it isn't enough. When it is not full retard prices, I try and spend at least $200/mth to increase my stock. That does not include what I or my kids shoot. 50 bucks a week is easy to do. Just do it every week ;)

So am I ok with 10k in each caliber or not?

A couple of weeks ago, I took a new shooter and his son on their first range trip. I brought an M&P 15-22 and a couple of AR's. We went through 500 rounds so fast that I had to stop shooting and sweep up brass because I was afraid that someone would slip and fall.

Ammo goes fast. I can easily go through 250-300 rounds on a range trip. And then some days at the range with a scoped rifle, it takes a while to go through 50 rounds. It all depends on what you are shooting.

I'll say the same thing. Unless you think you have enough to shoot for your kids' lifetimes, it isn't enough. When it is not full retard prices, I try and spend at least $200/mth to increase my stock. That does not include what I or my kids shoot. 50 bucks a week is easy to do. Just do it every week ;)

I think that's overkill, because you can have short term ammo shortages, maybe even lasting a few years, but unless all the factories close, or .gov manages to ban something, eventually prices normalize. And if .gov bans a certain ammo they'll likely ban possession, not just purchase.

How many can you carry ?

You'll wish you had more when they come for you.

10k in .22 is easy.

same with my pistol calibers until you get up into .45 land.

when you start trying to get 30.06 for a Garand, 10k rounds i$ a tall order for $ome of u$.

Just calculated I shot over 75K rounds last year and could have easily blown through 100K if I didn't show some restraint! [wink]

Hopefully that was all .22, or you reload!

50% 22 , 5.56 and 45 for the rest (some 380 12GA and some 5.45), it's unfortunate that I have a gun range at the end of my street and go for lunch several times a week... or fortunate....

no reloads except from Freedom Munitions

Last edited:

I'm sorry that you can't afford to survive the zombie apocalypse. ;p

Speaking of, how high does the pile have to be before zombies stop climbing over it to see what's on the other side? Hypothetically, of course?

I need a zombie wall calculator app.

I think that's overkill, because you can have short term ammo shortages, maybe even lasting a few years, but unless all the factories close, or .gov manages to ban something, eventually prices normalize. And if .gov bans a certain ammo they'll likely ban possession, not just purchase.

Prices do not normalize. They go up. Do they sometimes spike? Yes, but they don't come back to where they were. Just look at 5.56 prices over the past 10 years.

Prices do not normalize. They go up. Do they sometimes spike? Yes, but they don't come back to where they were. Just look at 5.56 prices over the past 10 years.

Right now bulk FXM855 is $430/k from an online vendor I've been using for a while. 6 Years ago the same ammo, same vendor was $299/k.

IMI 55gr 1200rds is $408, 6 years ago was $289.

^^^ This.

Back in the early 2000s, I was buying 9mm Rem/WWB for $8.99/100 at Wal-Mart and Dickless. I paid ~$100/case for 1000 rds of PMC .223, 9mm/.40S&W/.45ACP all at Four Seasons (all brass case US mfr). Back in the mid-2000s I bought 7.62x39 Wolf for $79/1000.

Check today's prices and let me know where they have "normalized" to prices close to this, I'm all ears!

^^^ This.

Back in the early 2000s, I was buying 9mm Rem/WWB for $8.99/100 at Wal-Mart and Dickless. I paid ~$100/case for 1000 rds of PMC .223, 9mm/.40S&W/.45ACP all at Four Seasons (all brass case US mfr). Back in the mid-2000s I bought 7.62x39 Wolf for $79/1000.

Check today's prices and let me know where they have "normalized" to prices close to this, I'm all ears!

I'm not old enough to remember these days... thats must have been amazing haha

When they ban possession is when you need the biggest stockpile.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

energizerthread1.jpg

Any idea what year that was published in? It'd be fun to convert those prices into todays dollars adjusted for inflation.

The correct answer is if you're not using one of these to move it around, you can't even start talking about having "enough" ammo.

-Mike

Osha fail.
1. Forks 6-12" and level or as needed for terrain
2. Beep when changing direction.
3. Need moar ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry that you can't afford to survive the zombie apocalypse. ;p

Speaking of, how high does the pile have to be before zombies stop climbing over it to see what's on the other side? Hypothetically, of course?

I need a zombie wall calculator app.

According to the walking dead, zombies are retarded. So, the answer is: As high as it needs to be for them to keep falling back and trying again.

^^^ This.

I wonder if ammo is like DRAM, which used to go through huge variations in price as manufacturers went through boom and bust cycles of supply and demand. Then they learned to keep their production volume more level, and not ramp up too much when demand was high.

i doubt ammo demand will drop to those levels again. Maybe if commodity prices keep dropping that'll help with lower prices.

Last edited:
So, my preferred caliber for handguns is 9mm.

Currently, I have 3000 rounds as my "SHTF stash." This is put away and not touched.

Is it enough? I am speaking just for handguns...not long guns.

What say you?

I'm gonna say, as ammo goes, if we are talking SHTF, then we are most likely talking about very little to no access to ammo after whatever happens, happens so the answer is there is never enough.

Back
Top Bottom