• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many rounds is enough?

So, my preferred caliber for handguns is 9mm.

Currently, I have 3000 rounds as my "SHTF stash." This is put away and not touched.

Is it enough? I am speaking just for handguns...not long guns.

What say you?

Last edited:
So, my preferred caliber for handguns is 9mm.

Currently, I have 3000 rounds as my "SHTF stash." This is put away and not touched.

Is it enough? I am speaking just for a handguns...not long guns.

What say you?

So, you're good for at best 3000 zombies.

You only use your handgun to fight your way back to your rifle.

You should be asking if you have enough rifle ammo. I don't. But then, I'll never think I have enough. Because I won't.

How many handgun rounds do you think you can fire off when SHTF, before you catch one yourself? Probably not 3000. Probably not even 300. My SHTF gun is a BCM AR, get a rifle or shotgun for SHTF.

Better reason son to stock up on ammo is so you can still practice when the next Prez tries to ban stuff. I'm buying up 5.56 while prices are relatively normal.

How many handgun rounds do you think you can fire off when SHTF, before you catch one yourself? Probably not 3000. Probably not even 300. My SHTF gun is a BCM AR, get a rifle or shotgun for SHTF.

Better reason son to stock up on ammo is so you can still practice when the next Prez tries to ban stuff. I'm buying up 5.56 while prices are relatively normal.

I tend to agree. For me at least, shtf is all about avoiding gunfights as best I can. Stocking up in the relatively quiet times in between school shootings and elections is a better reason to hoard.

A guy on /k/ the other day claimed to have 600,000 rounds of 22lr.

In SHTF I'd rather have 3k 22lr than 3k 9mm, but not by much. 3k .223 might be better than each.

If you're in MA, limit it to 10,000 rounds (not rimfire).

Because Massachusetts.
(2) Storage By Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, and Registration, and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure provided a permit has been obtained from the head of the local fire department; (a) Small Arms Ammunition: Private Use. Small arms ammunition in amounts over that specified in 527 CMR 13.04(1), that do not exceed 100,000 total rounds at any one time, may be kept for private use provided none of the individual limitations listed below are exceeded. 1. 10,001 to 30,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition. 2. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of center fire ammunition not to include shotgun ammunition. 3. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition not to include center fire ammunition.
Get the permit...

If you're in MA, limit it to 10,000 rounds (not rimfire).

Because Massachusetts.

Get a black powder permit, then the number goes to 100,000 total http://goal.org/masslawpages/ammostorage.html

I'm curious what kind of situation can be resolved by no less than 3,000 rounds of 9mm?

any average dog shooting or no-knock by 5-0 [wink]

To the OP: Figure out how many rounds you need for the rest of your life. Then add in your kids' lives. Then their kids. Shooting as much as they want or need to. Then add a few more boxes, and you should be good to go.

Look, the price is unlikely to come down significantly. If you can store it dry, buy as much as you can.

But...as said before, I'd gladly trade 9MM for .223/5.56 30.06 or 7.62x39, because it has less than 1/2 the muzzle velocity, even fired from a 9MM AR.

I can put >95 out of 100 shots on a man-sized target at 100 yards with any of my AR's (so far). With any of the 9MM pistols I have personally, or have shot, not so much.

This question comes up alot on nes. They already answered it....but to drive this home for you.....its a handgun. Spend that money on rifle ammo because your cute little 9mm handgun is not going to save your ass if the shtf. Rifles keep *******s off your property.....shotguns keep *******s out of your house.....handguns keep *******s off your person. Dont have main battle rifle? If not then Get one......and start stockingup on 5.56 or 7.62x39. And get a reliable shotgun and stock up on buckshot slugs and birdshot for that (shotguns are the swiss army knife of hunting guns with those three types of ammo plus buck for defense). Then worry about a little bit about your pistol.

Last edited:
This question comes up alot on nes. They already answered it....but to drive this home for you.....its a handgun. Spend that money on rifle ammo because your cute little 9mm handgun is not going to save your ass if the shtf. Rifles keep *******s off your property.....shotguns keep *******s out of your house.....handguns keep *******s off your person. Dont have main battle rifle? If not then Get one......and start stockingup on 5.56 or 7.62x39. And get a reliable shotgun and stock up on buckshot slugs and birdshot for that (shotguns are the swiss army knife of hunting guns with those three types of ammo plus buck for defense). Then worry about a little bit about your pistol.

Winner!!

This whacko has definitely thought this through. Good write-up!

How many can you carry ?
This, the number one thing my dad always told me. If things get so bad you have to leave your home
How much can,you bring with you. My dad often said if things get bad enough that you will be shooting people don't count on being able to use your car/truck to safely transport your shit.
Also a big reminder, water is,going to become a issue really fast in the shtf moment
My dad has also mentioned more than once that if you think you need to go somewhere when the shtf......well you might as well go there now.
My great uncle said to me many years ago. Where's your support? If it's just you and your local family by all means just be prepared to fight to stay together. As that's the first sign shit is or has hit the fan......they who ever they are will split up what ever families they can....

Last edited:
Don't forget mags and lots of them. 3k rounds of ammo is useless if your breaking open a box to load a mag during a SHTF time.
Have them on the ready.

Jason.

Now is the time to do some shopping while prices are semi normal.
You can be sure if Hitlery get the nomination it will be the start of another full retard, shelf clearing, price raping panic.

I always thought that if you have enough room, you need more ammo. If you don't have enough room you need to train more often.

1 well placed .22 is worth more then 3k .50 rounds that miss.... but then again, the more the merrier

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Having too much ammo isn't like being stuck with Beanie Babies that no one wants. There'll always be a practical purpose for ammo, so don't worry about it. Shoot, sell, trade.

Back
Top Bottom